Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 1:22 pm

ryan93 wrote:
I refer to myself most of the time as "We", I don't have DID or anything but I feel like more of a "we" than "me" if that makes sense :lol:

I do this when I am talking to myself, and I occasionally, when frustrated with myself, I will call myself by name. I am not DID either, but I experience my mind as having sub entities, or as if my right brain and left brain almost process thoughts separately. However, I never refer to myself in third person to others.

godunderfoot
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2015, 4:23 am

I have been referring to myself in the third person since I was very young, and still do.
In addition, I also refer to the people who are my intimates, be they friends or chosen family, in the third person.

For more than two decades I have been being called 'The Woman' while my primary partner is 'The Man' and so on...

It was an artifact of my language usage that the doctors I was taken to when I was a small child in the 70s latched on to and decided meant that I was a 'psychopath'.

Needless to say, nothing good came out of that diagnosis, and I commonly refer to the times that followed it as being my 'Oprah childhood'.

I flew to places which the clouds never see, too close to the deserts of sand, where a thousand mirages, those shepherds of lies, forced me to land and take a disguise, and welcome the horse's kick to send me back, if I could find a horse not made of sand

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

I never done that & I get annoyed when others do it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Xanadu75
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Sep 2018, 6:13 pm

Well I do this all the time. My real name is Savannah and I speak of myself as The Savsie. I think it's probably really irritating to other people and I don't mean to be irritating I've just always done it. I think in the third person as well and I have a gifted IQ so def not mental retardation. To me it's more of a sense of humour thing. I don't know. I didn't know until just now it was linked to Autism, which I am diagnosed with.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 6:36 pm

Perhaps it's a lack of experience on the part of that young mental health professional... or an artefact* of working mostly with one form of autism?

I've been autistic for over 60 years and never self-refer in third person. My father and both uncles were also autistic and likewise had no problem using "I" and "me" as needed. Same with "you" as appropriate.

Reminds me of a biology text in which I read the confident assertion that only horses exhibit the flehmen reaction (a way of intensifying scent when smelling something, by opening the mouth as they sniff it) - while my cats had just been doing exactly that not ten minutes before (something fascinating on the rug, I think catnip).

Even the experts aren't always ;-)

*this is the correct spelling; means a spurious observation or result (there's more to it but that will suffice).

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Sep 2018, 7:25 pm

I known people who did that & were narcissistic or very full of themselves.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2018, 8:03 pm

Only met one person who ever did that.

A strange young man hired to work in my girl friends office.

He would do things like falsify his time card. One day they confronted him about it, and he ended up hanging his head in shame and shaking his head and explaining to them that "I don't know why Bob gets into so much trouble." Or whatever his name was.

Don't know if he was on the autism spectrum or not. Kinda doubt it.