new here - son has possible autistic spectrum disorder

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

peanutsmum
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2009, 2:20 pm

Hello. I'm new here. Basically my son who's 10 has been referred to the autistic unit by school for assessment. He had been on school action plus (I don't know if that is something that occurs everywhere) but they never raised the subject until I had done my own research and asked straight out if they thought he had an autistic spectrum disorder. They admitted that maybe he has and referred him. He has always been an "odd" kid I suppose though as his mother it's maybe harder for me to see him as such, he's just himself to me. He doesn't fit in with others well (though he does have a couple of friends), cannot cope with normal social banter - thinks everyone is picking on him and takes it very personally and can be very inflexible on certain subjects - food being particularly a problem. Since the age of 18 months he has had a kind of approved list and if it's not on there he's not eating it. He only eats dry foods - no gravy, sauce etc and nothing squishy like cooked fruit or veg - it has to be raw and quite bland tasting. The usual things such as no dessert if you don't eat your main course don't work, he'd rather eat nothing than something he doesn't want to eat. So many people have said things like "if he was mine he'd eat his dinner", " he just needs discipline", "make him go and play with the others" etc and in a wierd way it feels quite a relief that he is probably not naughty or defiant but that there is a reason for him being the way he is. So that's a brief introduction. Looking forward to being on here and maybe making some progress.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 2:42 pm

Hi there, peanutsmum, and welcome! :D

My son is 7 years old and was diagnosed with Asperger's earlier this year. By the sounds of things you'll find a lot here which will be familiar to you. This is a good place to share experiences - sometimes to get new ideas or solutions, and sometimes just to share and know that you're not alone. :)

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2009, 6:56 pm

The food thing is super common with these kids most of us moms and dads end-up making two dinners alot of the time because of it but if a kid vomits or gags it's hard to say they are being bad by not eating what everyone else in tha house does. Welcome :D and best of luck to you and yours :D .

serenitynow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2009, 7:48 pm

HELLO!
My son was diagnosed at 14 with AS. I had never heard of it, so it explained a lot about him being a bit odd. The usual social issues and such. But i love to hang out with him, he's smart and interesting. I wish all his peers thought so.
He was also diagnosed with Sensory Integration Dysfunction by an OT thru school. He has BIG issues with food. Taste and smell. So not only will he not eat a big variety of foods, but he cannot sit with us. Not a big problem at home, but try going out to eat or to visit people at dinner time. He can't take the smell.
So he doesn't eat in the cafeteria at school. He used to eat in the nurse's office(yuck) but they have found him an office to sit in with a teacher during lunch, which he always brings. He doesn't mind one bit not being in the caf. Less chance to be hassled by others.
Well I'm glad you're getting a diagnosis early. Starting to learn all this in high school is tough, and he just got an IEP for next year. (I had never heard of that either)
They have accomodated him all along.
I realize there will be many life situations where food will be an issue. And he will just learn to deal. He's learned a lot about himself.
Take care. Don't take the criticism to heart. you know your child best. :wink:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 3:33 pm

Welcome! While my son doesn't have many sensory issues with food, I think that all of us here can relate to having others "assume" things could be changed with our kids. It gets tough. Hang in there, and best of luck with the diagnosis process.