*rant* my son's therapist is a moron

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ster
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2006, 9:20 pm

there are a few parent support groups in the area~ i tried one, and it seemed to be quite the pity party.....also, it feels sort of awkward going~ as i work at a special ed high school i'm quite nervous that i'll run into parents of my students.............i've already run into one student at hubby's support group, fortunately he didn't acknowledge me. we meet with the potential new therapist tomorrow, so hopefully things will go well.

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jan 2006, 10:58 pm

I didn't mean for you to attend the support group meetings, especially if they are too much like pity parties. I meant ask some of the members if they have any experiences with your son's prospective therapists. That is how I found the special education attorney we retained to fight the school district. Which potential therapist are you meeting tomorrow? The guy or the social skills group lady?

We tried a Autism/ Aspergers social skills group for our daughter, but it did not go well because she kept hitting the other kids, so I was asked to remove her from the two classes she attended and then from the group. She hits if she becomes anxious. My husband jokes with me (not in front of her) that she flunked out of that charm school, but she really learned a lot in the two classes she attended, which were introductions and compliments. She is really very bright, but she seems unable to control this hitting problem. We have tried lots of things to help her, but we have not figured it out yet.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2006, 6:58 am

:oops: i guess i didn't understand your comment....i've actually talked to some of my coworkers about possible therapists~ there just aren't that many around here that are good, take insurance, and have room in their practice............haven't heard back from the guy. today's appt is with the social skills lady

ster
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2006, 7:29 am

had the meeting with new therapist yesterday. everything went very well, and she's decided to take him on as a client. Yeah!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

momofanspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Feb 2006, 8:23 am

great news!!

Aspen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2006, 8:35 am

I like what you wrote about her. Maybe the first therapist ditching your son will work out for the best after all like my daughter's therapist ditching her did for us.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2006, 3:04 pm

[/quote]Maybe the first therapist ditching your son will work out for the best after all like my daughter's therapist ditching her did for us.

Quote:

i sure hope things go better with the new therapist too~ i called the old therapist to tell her that we'd found someone, and that she seemed very nice and knows alot about aspergers.......you'd think the b**** would be happy to get rid of us :roll: she calls me back to say that she didn't think we'd be leaving so quickly and that she planned to spend 3 or 4 sessions transitioning him. WTF!!
at any rate, the new therapist is very nice and talked to us about what a difficult year we must've had ( son didn't get diagnosed until this summer after a VERY rocky school year).she also asked us how many diagnoses son was given before they decided on aspergers (5 including: Bipolar, ADD, Multiple Personality Disorder, and ODD). the one reason that i truly know that she knows what she's dealing with is that she had this to say about the mental health profession: " so many people in the mental health field simply don't know what to do with people who have aspergers~it's not an easy fix".