Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 6:47 pm

I've had a PlayStation 3 for two months now, and the only games I have for it are Metal Gear Solid 4, Street Fighter IV, and LittleBigPlanet. I really enjoyed the previous two, but I think getting LittleBigPlanet was a mistake (don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but I just can't spend hours on end creating levels because of my impatience). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here can make any recommendations for games. However, there are three rules.

1.) No shooters.

2.) No racers.

3.) No sports.

Other than that, any recommendation is welcome.

Le_Samourai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2009, 6:55 pm

I'd highly recommend Uncharted:Drake's Fortune. There is a lot of gunplay in it, but theres also a lot of platforming and hand to hand fighting as well, not to mention that it has a very fun and well-written story, with great characters and good twists.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 9:02 pm

"Grand Theft Auto IV" is the longest game in the series.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2009, 9:18 pm

Venger wrote:
"Grand Theft Auto IV" is the longest game in the series.

I am not a GTA fan. All of the games in the series have done nothing for me but bore me to tears. The game play is repetitive, the characters aren't interesting, the controls are sloppy, and the story is forgettable. I know my statement is going to piss off a lot of gamers here, but please don't hate on me for not liking GTA.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 2:13 am

I would recommend Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It has shooting but also platforming and action-adventure elements. Don't get me wrong, first and foremost the main gameplay is about shooting but it's not unlike the shooting gameplay in Metal Gear Solid 4.

Truth is, there are not many PS3 games I can think to recommend that are out now. Prince of Persia looks good, if it's anywhere near as good as the PS2 games I'd heartily recommend it. Infamous is also getting rave reviews. It is an open world action-adventure.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 3:22 am

AtomicKaiju wrote:
1.) No shooters.

2.) No racers.

3.) No sports.

Then why on Earth did you buy a PS3? Have you even tried Call of Duty 4, Killzone 2 or Far Cry 2? These are all wonderful shooters you're missing out on.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2009, 4:08 am

z0rp wrote:
AtomicKaiju wrote:
1.) No shooters.

2.) No racers.

3.) No sports.

Then why on Earth did you buy a PS3? Have you even tried Call of Duty 4, Killzone 2 or Far Cry 2? These are all wonderful shooters you're missing out on.

Three words. I. HATE. SHOOTERS. If I didn't hate FPSs, I wouldn't have made "no shooters" a rule. Yes, I have played the latest installment of Call of Duty, and I was NOT impressed with it, just like I wasn't impressed with EVERY OTHER FPS GAMES! I hated Halo, I hated Doom, I hated Killzone, I hated Counter-Strike, I hated Metroid Prime, etc. The only shooter I have actually enjoyed was the first Half-Life, but it's not one of my all time favorite games and I haven't even played the second one and I probably never will.

As for why I bought a PS3, is was because of MGS4 (which I consider a stealth-action game and NOT a shooter), The Last Guardian, and Kingdom Hearts 3 (which I strongly believe will be for the PS3, because the Xbox 360 is unsellable in Japan). I posted this topic so that I could get ideas for other games to get that AREN'T of my least favorite genres.

Sorry if what I posted just now seemed a little harsh, and it's cool that you love shooters, but I really need to let people know that I can't stand them.

P.S. For those of you who said Uncharted, I might consider getting it because it sounds more like an adventure game and less like a shooter.

Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jul 2009, 6:41 pm

Demon's Souls. It is an action RPG that is available in english through import from china/korea (both legit) or you can wait for the special edition from atlus to come stateside this fall. The import is going to be the more difficult version and include PVP where other players can force themselves into your world to kill you, causing armor/weapon damage and the loss of your currency/experience points. The domestic release is going to get rid of PVP and include regenerating health to make it easier for western players not used to this level of difficulty. It will also come with an artbook and a 150 page players guide for $70. The import version can be had for about $65 with shipping now but it come with a manual in chinese.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2009, 10:38 pm

ninja gaiden sigma
fallout 3
gta4

there's lot of other good games, I just haven't played many of them.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 1:44 am

Space wrote:
ninja gaiden sigma

I heard it was extremely hard, and I think the difficulty will make this game more frustrating than fun to me. It's a good suggestion, but I can't handle a game that's too hard right now.

Space wrote:
gta4

I just said I don't like GTA.

Space wrote:
fallout 3

I might not get it. I know it's heavy on the RPG game play, but I'm just not a fan of military games (excluding Metal Gear Solid), and it's also somewhat of a shooter. Would I have to play the first two Fallouts to understand the story?

Last edited by AtomicKaiju on 08 Jul 2009, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 2:04 am

"Gee AtomicKaiju, if your so picky about games, what kind DO you like?"

I guess I like adventure games, like Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

I also like games that have unique game play elements that no other game has.

For some reason, I don't like action games like Devil May Cry or God of War (oops... I'm supposed to listing the type of games I like).

I prefer artistic graphics over realistic graphics.

I like RPGs, but I can only play one at a time.

Other than that, I can play just about any genre at least once.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 2:29 am

I am currently playing the new "Bionic Commando" by Capcom for PS3. It seems really good so far.

I played through "Bionic Commando Rearmed" a couple times before this. It's a remake of the NES game of course. I'm sure that makes the new 3D game seem better.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 5:48 pm

AtomicKaiju wrote:
Space wrote:
ninja gaiden sigma

I heard it was extremely hard, and I think the difficulty will make this game more frustrating than fun to me. It's a good suggestion, but I can't handle a game that's too hard right now.

It's not that hard. You will probably really suck for the first couple days, then you'll learn the gameplay mechanics and get good.

AtomicKaiju wrote:
Space wrote:
fallout 3

I might not get it. I know it's heavy on the RPG game play, but I'm just not a fan of military games (excluding Metal Gear Solid), and it's also somewhat of a shooter. Would I have to play the first two Fallouts to understand the story?

It's not a military game, and it's not a shooter. No you don't need the first 2 games to enjoy it, I didn't.

Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Jul 2009, 10:58 am

Fallout 3 shares very little with the first two fall out games so there is no barrier to entry. Keep in mind that it is basically oblivion with guns, though.

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 11:10 pm

Do not buy InFamous!

There's no meat to this game.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 2:17 am

I second Fallout 3. I have it on PC. I assume the experience isn't significantly different on consoles.