Right-Handed 32%  32%  [ 41 ]
Right-Handed 32%  32%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 130

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 10:25 pm

renaeden wrote:
I don't know anyone else who is so mixed up with what hand they use...

Left for writing
Right for ironing
Right for the computer mouse
Right for batting in cricket or baseball/teeball
Left or right for tennis (but I really suck at it anyway)
Left for throwing things
Right for archery
Right for playing snooker or pool (as for tennis)
I am right-eyed (my left eye is almost useless)
Left or right for kicking (stones or football)

:roll:

You may be mixed-handed. That's when the brain assigned tasks to one hand or the other. It's different from ambi, where you are equally (or relatively) dexterous with both hands at any given task. Mixed-handedness is common among auties. I see it in my HFA and LFA kids alot, while most of my Aspies kids have been right-handed.

I'm actually ambi, although in my old age (34) my ambidexterity is not as facile as it was before I hit the big 3-0. I regrettably live in an adult world now where I have little time for the things I did when I was younger that kept my ambidexterity sharp. I was trained to write right-handed, although writing with my left came naturally too, and I draw/paint right-handed.

I still can do most things with either left or right, although nowdays I sometimes have to think a little harder when using my left than before. When predominantly using my left hand or left side of my body, I have to think about the "shift" I need to make in my brain to reorient myself todoing things "lefty." When I was younger, I didn't have to think - I just did it. :(

Cade
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2006, 10:31 pm

Oh hey renaeden, I just looked at your profile and you have listed as your dx "other autistic spectrum disorder". Are you HFA by chance?

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 12:08 am

I've done this before, but whatever.

Left for writing, except on marker boards. When the surface I'm writing on is right in front of me like on a wall, I have to use my right. Write upside down with minimal practice on left hand. Did it a lot when I took this one class where I was constantly copying and sharing answers with others, it made things easier. Write slightly better with right hand, but not as fast and holding it feels weird.

Mouse with right.
Throw with right, but can use both.
Kick and punch with right.
Primary eye is right.
Bowl with right.
My left is useless.
Can wiggle right pinky toe by itself, but not with left foot.
I probably hear better in my right ear too.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 1:25 am

I'm Left-Handed, Right Brained and I have the Mind and the Soul of a Cockney.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 2:02 am

I am a Lefty have only a Lefty as long as I can remember. Though it probably cause by My Cerebral Palsy.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 3:01 am

I'm a lefty, when I started school my parents made it very clear to the teachers they were not to try to teach me to use my right......once upon a time the schools did. My husband and his mother were born lefties but made to use their right hand when they started school. Lefty scissors were awful so I learned to cut with my right hand, and also I catch with my right and throw with my left.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jan 2006, 4:22 pm

Left handed mainly, but play cricket right handed, use a mouse with my right.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 6:36 pm

Cade wrote:
Oh hey renaeden, I just looked at your profile and you have listed as your dx "other autistic spectrum disorder". Are you HFA by chance?

Yes I am HFA. There was nothing to pick for my profile that said HFA, so I picked other autism spectrum disorder....maybe we can get this changed??

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:42 am

Very right-hand, right-side dominant. My left hand is very weak (in contrast) and even clumsier...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 11:33 am

Right for writing, though my left-handed writing is legible, just not so fluent.

For almost everything else, I'm ambidextrous in that I'm equally capable with both hands, though my brain has assigned many tasks to my left side, so in that respect I'm mixed-handed ... 8O

By the way, I can write backwards and upside down (and backwards/upside-down) with both hands. It's fun :D

whateverusay
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jan 2006, 10:48 pm

My autistic son favors his left hand.

Like another poster, I also have problems with Left and Right. I have to stop and think....ok, I write with my right hand...however, I can spout off North, South, East, & West with no problems. Strange.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 2:39 am

I'm right-handed.

DrGonzo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jan 2006, 7:29 am

I use my left hand for eating and writing, and my right hand for throwing, using a bat, or using a hammer. Basically i use different hands for different tasks. As for my legs, my right leg is mostly dominant.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

23 Jan 2006, 9:17 pm

I write with my right hand and tie the bowline knot with it, but the rest of everything I do is left handed. I even wear a watch on my right wrist and I shoot left handed. I did a poll of my students when I was teaching once and found that almost every left eye dominant kid wore their watch on the right hand. And most that were left eye dominant were also left handed.