I am hysterical here reading all above posts. :lol:
Have had like memory adventures.
Too caught up laughing to recall some :lol: :lol:

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 11:08 am

sinsboldly wrote:
back before I knew I was autistic, I used to marvel at the fact that I could watch a TV show I was intensely interested in and the moment the commercial came on I could not recall what show I was watching, what the plot was, who the protagonist or antagonist were doing or why.
nothing - zilch, nada.
Merle

i also am this way. if a commercial break comes on, then my mind wanders off and i forget what i was watching. today i was watching "monk" (that started at at 1pm) and i watched with intent all the scenes so as i would know what was going on. then there was a commercial break, but i was eating my lunch so i ignored the break and stayed seated.
after i finished my lunch at 1:40, monk was about to "solve the case" and another commercial break came on.

i walked outside and some noisy minah's flew to me and i got them some food. then the parrots arrived and i got 2 slices of bread and threw it out for them.

then i noticed that their water dishes needed refreshing and i went and did that.

then i remembered i was watching something but i could not remember what it was.
so i stayed in the garden and wandered about and later on i realized i had been watching "monk". it all comes back to me when i remember a key element, but my mind wanders often and i forget what i was interested in a few minutes before.

i often start to go to sleep with a very firm and reasonable series of thoughts, but they dissolve and fall through my mental "fingers" as i descend into slumber. it is the same way when i allow myself to daydream whilst awake.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 6:00 pm

My attention span is pretty short, I'm often away with the fairies or getting distracted. I'm pretty absent minded too.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 6:48 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
back before I knew I was autistic, I used to marvel at the fact that I could watch a TV show I was intensely interested in and the moment the commercial came on I could not recall what show I was watching, what the plot was, who the protagonist or antagonist were doing or why.
nothing - zilch, nada.

I still do that if I think about it, only now my conscious mind knows I am autistic and so I just toss all my weird behaviour into that stack - I have no idea if it is a symptom of it, though.

Merle

Phew! I'm glad it's not just me then. :D

I don't know if I'm autistic or not.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 6:56 pm

Aimless wrote:
I clean offices and carry my supplies in the trunk of my car. Sometimes I open the trunk, take out the vacuum, look back in my trunk and think OMG where's the vacuum?
Anyone else this spacey?

Could you repeat the question?

ruveyn

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 7:19 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Aimless wrote:
I clean offices and carry my supplies in the trunk of my car. Sometimes I open the trunk, take out the vacuum, look back in my trunk and think OMG where's the vacuum?
Anyone else this spacey?

Could you repeat the question?

ruveyn

oh, ruveyn, it's so simple, he was talking about taking his dog for a walk, and wondering what he is supposed to be thinking about while he 'doesn't notice' the dog pooping while he waits to use the pooper scooper. . . wasn't it?

or was that in the other thread?

Merle

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 7:23 pm

Why am I in this thread? :?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 7:31 pm

^ chuckle to all of you above. i've had a nice morning laugh!
i relate.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2009, 7:55 pm

If I'm working on something that interests me I could go on for hours and hours and hours. If the work doesn't hold my interest than my attention span is few seconds to a couple of minutes at the most. I need to abort and go do something that does hold my interest, and then go back to the boring work.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 12:09 am

I often can't remember if I've already posted to a WP thread, especially if it's one of those long-running ones. I suspect I've posted more-or-less the same responses to the OP twice in the same thread.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 2:33 pm

I can do the over-focus thing where I don't even notice distraction..sometimes ..when I'm really really interested in something and am not in a bad mood (depressed/anxious), otherwise my attention is really bad.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 3:22 pm

I think it's about average. Although sometimes it can be bad. Sometimes I have something in my hand, I forget I'm holding it and think "Oh no! Where did it go?"

SpongeBobRocksMao!

FrogGirl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2009, 10:26 pm

Yes. everyday and quite often

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:27 pm

What?

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 4:01 am

No I have a fabulous attention spaaaaohh look, breaking news, 1 tip to a skinny stomach!

Seriously, I don't think my issue is the attention span as much as short term memory. Like I do that whole thing where I'll put my keys in my pocket, grab the cell phone, and then search a half hour for my keys. I'm always laying things down and not remember where 5 seconds later. And if I put something somewhere so I won't lose it, it's gone forever. A couple days ago, I woke up and was like, I scheduled someone to come to the house today I think, well, I better clean up a bit just in case, and then right when I'm done, someone shows up. Then I was like, I knew it :D Wasn't sure who, when or if I was sure, but I was close.

But what I do remember I seem to remember very well, accurate, and vivid.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 4:08 am

daydreamer84 wrote:
I can do the over-focus thing where I don't even notice distraction..sometimes ..when I'm really really interested in something and am not in a bad mood (depressed/anxious), otherwise my attention is really bad.

Last night, I leave to go to McDonalds to get a snack at like midnight. I come back and my husband and I feast. About 15 minutes later, I ask for a back rub. My husband makes me take off my shirt, and I stood near my window by accident grabbing a blanket in my bras. We are really high up, so I doubt people can really see me with the line of site, but I heard this loud bang like someone did see me and slam their door. So a little self conscious, I sit on my husbands lap and got a backrub. So then, we keep hearing this truck on the street. I glance out my window and was like, oh there's a tow truck down the street. My husband was like, he better not be towing my car. I knew he was no where near my husband's car, but I felt the need to get up and look closer anyway to double check. Nope honey, he's really down the street. I sit back down to watch tv and complete this back rub, look out that same window again from that distance, and there is a roaring fire with cars exploding and everything, from the time I went to McDonalds probably. Nobody was hurt, and it was just the garage, but it was a huge fire like a whole house burning, and I totally didn't notice it.