The closest to death you've ever been?

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2009, 10:15 pm

I nearly died once, when I was climbing the wrecked ruins of a castle not too far from where I live, on top of a hill top. There was a section of the castles hallway in which the floor had collapsed, and I wanted to get to the other side so I could scale the vertical wall and get to the highest point of the ruins. I put my feet one side of the gap, and my arms on the adjacent wall. The drop was several storeys. At one point I was over stretched, and has to "jump" with my hands and cross the gap before I fell down. I made it anyways :D I also almost slipped off the wall I was trying to scale when a gust of wind came, the castle is the highest point in miles so the winds are very strong :lol:

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

09 Jul 2009, 10:19 pm

Dilbert wrote:
Just as I thought things couldn't get much worse, I ended up behind enemy lines... got captured... tortured for 2-3 hours not sure how long exactly... placed before a mock firing squad.... then locked up and used as a human shield. I escaped after 19 days, quite cleverly I just walked out through the front gate.

I was just 18 years old. I had PTSD for a number of years. It kind of faded on its own. I'm back to being a typical Aspie.

Wow, I can hardly complain about my life experiences after reading that. 8O

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
Just as I thought things couldn't get much worse, I ended up behind enemy lines... got captured... tortured for 2-3 hours not sure how long exactly... placed before a mock firing squad.... then locked up and used as a human shield. I escaped after 19 days, quite cleverly I just walked out through the front gate.

I was just 18 years old. I had PTSD for a number of years. It kind of faded on its own. I'm back to being a typical Aspie.

I was thinking the same thing, hard for me to complain when people have been threw much worse

for me it was a few atempted suicides, a few times people tried to kill me, the worst being thrown off a highway overpass, and a few times I had guns and knifes pointed at my head among a bunch of other things like accidents and stuff, but probably doesnt compare to when people have been threw things like war, so I guess I am lucky I never had to experience anything like that

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 3:20 am

I watched my grandfather die in the hospital 8 years ago.

My personal closest call was when I was in high school and I had just watched a movie at night at a theater with a church group. My mother always wanted me to stop to call home before I left because she was paranoid so I was the last one to leave. I parked pretty far away. As I headed to my car there was another car that drove at me and it hit me head on. I flipped awkwardly over the hood and the rear tires ran over my legs and I landed face down. Surprisingly it didn't really hurt. The driver and the passenger got out of the car and headed towards me as somehow I managed to get back up. The driver was shocked to see me get up and the passenger said to the driver "get him." He pulled out a knife and headed towards me. It was a struggle for my life but I was a lot bigger than he was and overpowered him, the passenger was a woman and wanted no piece of me after seeing that. I then got in my car and drove home. Of course I heard it from my mother when I came home later than she expected with my clothes torn and me bleeding. I woke up in the middle of the night with my legs in a great deal of pain. I wasn't able to walk for days, apparently the adrenaline was why I was able to get back up. That's when I realized just how close a call that really was.

nara44
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 9:17 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Dilbert might feel otherwise but my feelings is that being an Aspie in an NT world is much tougher than fighting a war
While in combat u r so full of adrenalin and the action is so engrossing (killing the other guy before he kills you) and the scene is full of effects and noise it's almost surreal
U can see your friends blown to pieces and u just go on fighting as u have no choice and no time to feel
u feel the fear,nausea and tiredness only between combats and after it's all over when u safe home (hence the PTSD)

Living as AS it's just never ending sh%%t coming your way and unlike in a war i can see no end insight
all u can see is a big black wall that u know will probably never go away
u different
u will always loose no matter what u do
u will always be wrong even when,especially when, u r right

I too experienced PTSD and like DiIlbert wrote it tend to fade eventually
AS is forever

willa
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 12:01 pm

When I was too young to remember, I apparently wriggled out of my car seat while my mom went into a convience store and I shifted the parked car into neutral and it rolled backwards into 40mph traffic. The way my mom tells it 3 cars just barely missed smashing into the car full speed, as if it were perfectly timed, and the van lost momentum and rolled to a stop in the parking lot on the other side of the road. Probably wouldnt have survived that had one of the cars t-boned the van i was in.
Knock on wood, never really experianced anything else.
As for witnessing or being there when people have died...more often than i care to share.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2009, 3:35 pm

Let's see, i almost got rolled over by 2 cars when i was younger... i've fell on my head a couple times (the most recent one involved stitches...), and huh, that doesn't really count, but i've once tried stone hopping along a road that was near a cliff, i fell on the side of the road, but still cut my leg where it links with the feet. =/ stitches again. Otherwise, not much.