Do you have any "abnormal" interests?

Page 1 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

LeonSKennedy827
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2006, 9:26 am

Do you have any so called "abormal" interests, and do people give you hell about it in school?

I'm a HUUUGE Sonic fan, and I get picked on for it all the time, I hear comparsions of Sonic to games not even REMOTLEY like it, I get laughed at, gangs of people try to get me mad by saying "Sonic's crap!" at the top of their voices, and just in general try to make me feel like I don't belong on this planet

Sure it may be just a game, but it does kinda hurt, that someone could be so cruel to me just because I'm not into what they are

What about you guys?

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jan 2006, 9:47 am

I'm very, very obsessed with tuberculosis and I want to get it one day. When I wasn't homeschooled, teachers would be kind of rude to me about it. Like the one time in art, the teacher said to come up with any goals that you want. I said that i wanted to get tuberculosis, and she said that I couldn't put that because it's not safe or something. So instead, I wrote, "This goal has been censored" on a big white piece of paper. One of my friends in the class got mad at the art teacher for what she said to me.

The other students thought I was weird until they got to know me better, and now they seem to think that I'm quite awesome. When I went to the school to visit them the other day, a lot of people were happy to see me.

LeonSKennedy827
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2006, 9:55 am

May I ask what " tuberculosis" is? I've never heard of it

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 1:13 pm

I don't think Sonic is such an odd interest. At least not compared to fire alarms, game shows, or movie/TV studio logos. I mostly kept quiet about those interests in K-12 school, so therefore I didn't get made fun of for them. But don't let their making fun of you get you down - they're just really immature and are looking for attention.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 1:39 pm

I kept quiet in school, too, since I learned very fast that the majority of people don't think the way I do. From 3rd grade to 7th grade I had an obsessive interest in duct tape. I would spend hours just ripping it off the roll to hear that unique sound, talk about it in show and tell (when forced to participate), and just sit in front of the tape display at the hardware store whenever I was in there with my dad. And now that I work at a hardware store, I made sure I was in the department that had the tape. I still enjoy ripping the duct tape from the roll, and I always have a small roll in my pocket. I guess that is a fidget toy or something, eh?

Right now I am obsessed with economic theories and theorists---my parents are relieved because that's at least got some real world applications, unlike a lot of my previous interests.

But just ignore the idiots who think it's fun to get people upset. They really are just immature and unconfident. I bet some of them even play Sonic and are just going with the crowd. It's sad, really.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 2:24 pm

Tuberculosis (or TB for short) is a lung disease. It was highly romanticized during the 1800s, especially by the writers and artists of the time. Basically, in the advanced stages of TB, you would be confined to bed and not have enough strength to do anything. Here is more information about TB if anyone is interested.

Yeah, my obsessions currently include (but aren't limited to) chemistry and epidemiology, which is the study of disease and how it spreads. Smallpox is particularly fascinating, even though it isn't around anymore- thank goodness! Malaria and yellow fever are also fun to study. And Marburg, which is a hemorrhagic fever, similar to Ebola.

I've had people criticize me for my interests. Usually, I just ignore them especially since they are typically the kind of people who I would not choose to associate with, anyways. It's really sad because that's just how a lot of people get their attention from others.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2006, 6:03 pm

I got teased about being obsessed with musicals and old movies in grade school...

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

rhubarbpluscustard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2006, 7:12 pm

I'm into sacred music but I keep it quiet.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 11:44 am

rhubarbpluscustard wrote:
I'm into sacred music but I keep it quiet.

Dude! I totally forgot. I was very religious-- well, maybe more "spiritual"-- around second and third grade and listened to New Age music all the time and talked about seeing angels and auras to the other students and the teachers and everything. I got some very weird looks during that period, hehehe.

I was so weird... :lol:

--Erm, not that you're being weird, rhubarb. But I definitely was.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Litguy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2006, 10:15 pm

Sophist wrote:
I got teased about being obsessed with musicals and old movies in grade school...
Sophist, That's me too. I was obsessed with musicals in high school and much of college. I woudl read some of the dreadful novels that the stories came from (like Edna Ferber's Show Boat). I still enjoy them, but at 56, I can get away with being what's sometimes called a metrosexual (a straight man who enjoys things that are stereotypically enjoyed by gay men).

I've always loved theater, but it's very fair to say that I abnormally obsessed on musicals for years.

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

23 Jan 2006, 4:54 am

I occasionally get funny looks when I go all rhapsodical over some myth or another. Or the time we were reading a poem involving Celtic myth and I went gleeful and treated the class to a mini-lecture on the nature of Celtie 'faeries' as opposed to the sugary crap you get these days, with random references to other members of the Seelie and Unseelie Courts (kelpies, brownies, etc.)

Fiddler
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jan 2006, 6:37 am

My so-called "abnormal" interests are : Asperger Syndrom, and autism in general.
Besides, I am a very curious person, I like learning stuffs, about anything, really. So when engaged in a conversation with a person who doesn't know me very well, I often get "Howdoyouknowthat"/"whatareyoutalkingabout" kind of looks.

I was annoyed by those looks when I was younger, but I am not anymore, because I am know able to speak about my interests and make them look attractive.

nortala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jan 2006, 9:22 am

one of my biggest interests is spiders. I can give the scientific names of all the common ones in my area and also interpret their body language (so may people are amazed spiders even have body language :) ) once I was bored in a chemistry lecture and drew a diagram of a spider and labelled all the parts. the girl next to me asked what/why I was doing and I replied "I like spiders", she gave me a really strange look and replied, "well, I like dolphins, but I don't need to know all that!"

another interest that comes and goes is eating disorders. I have never had an eating disorder nor, to my knowledge, ever known anyone with one. but I've done a lot of research and, though I usually avoid confrontaion, will take on anyone who suggests that an eating disorder is not really an illness. when I see magazines and things trying to push their image of what people should look like, my blood boils.

Fiddler wrote:
I was annoyed by those looks when I was younger, but I am not anymore, because I am know able to speak about my interests and make them look attractive.

teach me your secret... please

Stereokid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2006, 4:43 pm

One of my biggest interests today is stereos and electronics. Unfortunately, my weakness in this area is when I find out that somebody has a better stereo than me.

Grades 3-5, I was obsessed with clocks and how they worked. I hardly ever got teased for this.

Grade 6, I was not really interested in much of anything.

Grade 7, I became obsessed with the Titanic. I do not really remember getting teased for this much in school, but I do remember that my parents and sister kept trying to tame the amount of time I talked about ships and boats. In fact, my dad used to keep saying, "Enough of staterooms, enough of bulkheads, the boat sank, get over it." My classmates in school did not seem to mind much, though.

Grade 8-9, I became obsessed with video games, and talked about Mario quite often. Most of the kids in my grade said stuff like, "Mario stinks." Even one of my aspie friends said stuff like, "Wario's better than Mario."

Grade 10-11, I started to become obsessed with radios. Everyday, I would play with them and try hard to get them to pick up out-of-state stations. No one teased me for this one.

nightfalcawk
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jan 2006, 4:52 pm

I had the same cycle of ever changing but intense interests. Nowadays, I'm totally obsessed with biotechnology and genetics. Last year it was optics and magnetism. But my whole life I had been obsessed with birds. Lately, the birds that I am interested in are mostly local birds and bird watching. However, I was teased for this a while back, but the teasing totally subsided lately.

julieme
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2006, 12:19 am

I got facinated with barbie dolls in odd ways.

I did experiments on them like putting one in a pan of water with a thermometer under the broiler to see what temperature she melted at. Unfortunatly the hair caught fire and ended the experiment.

Also took one apart to see how the bendy legs worked with a sharp knife. A third I took aart to see how the waist worked using a hammer and chizzel. After the fifth experiment my parents got me a chemistry set because it seemed like I would be a lot safer.

Now I like chemistry and science.