Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 4:16 pm

nekowafer wrote:
Ewww. That's why I only eat ground turkey - the lean stuff. No weird chunks like in the super cheap ground beef. Also I can't stand uncooked meat, in general. Just how it looks. Raw chicken is like meat-jello. Blech.

And uncooked meat can be dangerous, especially given the recent salmonella and e.coli scares.

I learned in a public administration class that the FDA is very underregulated.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Jul 2009, 5:19 pm

willmark wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
willmark wrote:
I love scented candles, though I am allergic to some of them. Some of the scents of scented candles are very stimulating.

I am this way with certain scents. I wonder if that is a sort of stimming?

I don't know. What does stimming accomplish? I am very very stimulation driven. I have a need to be always striving to push my level of stimulation to as intense as I can without it getting overwhelming. I get a real high from intensity. I guess if certain scents are stimulating, then I suppose it's a form of stimming but it is automatic stimming you might say. I don't need to do anything anything to accomplish it, other than sniff.

hartzofspace wrote:
willmark wrote:
I don't recall at the moment any touches that are overwhelming, but many are very stimulating. There is something about touching a person with the arch of my foot that gives me a high of sorts. I think that is just weird, and it's my experience. I feel a person's essence when I hug them, and whether I have hugged them or not, often it feels like they left the feel of their being behind after they have walked away.

You have described exactly what I have had trouble explaining, to people that don't understand why I am not always open to hugs. If I really like the person, or trust them, I don't mind that "essence" hanging around. But if they are a stranger, or I dislike them, it is an unwanted intrusion on my senses, that just won't quit.
The worst is when I used to go for chiropractic adjustments. There is one maneuver that they do, that is just like a hug when they re-align the upper vertebrae, and leaves that unpleasant "residue" of themselves. This would hang on until I washed and changed clothing.

I was talking about a person's vibe which is perceived by feeling as opposed to a person's odor which is perceived by smelling, but I suppose the dynamics are the same. I experience this often with people who smoke.

That's what I meant, too. That their vibe hangs around long after the interaction. I found that the physical act of washing and changing my clothes seemed to take away that vibe. I had read about doing this, in a book about being sensitive to things like vibes from other people.

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 10:34 pm

i think a lot of it was worse when i was younger, and so much of it has changed over time.

i used to be really sensitive to certain smells--chemical cleaning agents, bathroom smells, the slightest mildew smell--like a washrag--dye smells (fabric and clothing stores.) all those things tended to make me retch, cry or (in the case of dye smells) make my eyes tear up. for some reason, i didn't like certain people's smells.

still don't like chemical smells. hate perfume.

tactile: not so much noticed now, but anything slightly prickly--especially leg stubble--used to bring on a crying meltdown.

currently: voices over cell phones tend to hurt my ears. certain electronic noises are difficult. also have a hard time with concentration when any kind of background noise is present. (ex: if more than one person is talking, it sounds like nonsense.)

feel drained easily when there are a lot of things going on in general. can only spend a certain amount of time in town before i get irritable, tired.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 7:23 am

I hate it when people talk loudly when I'm on the phone to them. I have to hold the receiver slightly away from my ear because it's like copping a sharp stick in my eardrum.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 7:47 am

hartzofspace wrote:
willmark wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
willmark wrote:
I love scented candles, though I am allergic to some of them. Some of the scents of scented candles are very stimulating.

I am this way with certain scents. I wonder if that is a sort of stimming?

I don't know. What does stimming accomplish? I am very very stimulation driven. I have a need to be always striving to push my level of stimulation to as intense as I can without it getting overwhelming. I get a real high from intensity. I guess if certain scents are stimulating, then I suppose it's a form of stimming but it is automatic stimming you might say. I don't need to do anything anything to accomplish it, other than sniff.

hartzofspace wrote:
willmark wrote:
I don't recall at the moment any touches that are overwhelming, but many are very stimulating. There is something about touching a person with the arch of my foot that gives me a high of sorts. I think that is just weird, and it's my experience. I feel a person's essence when I hug them, and whether I have hugged them or not, often it feels like they left the feel of their being behind after they have walked away.

You have described exactly what I have had trouble explaining, to people that don't understand why I am not always open to hugs. If I really like the person, or trust them, I don't mind that "essence" hanging around. But if they are a stranger, or I dislike them, it is an unwanted intrusion on my senses, that just won't quit.
The worst is when I used to go for chiropractic adjustments. There is one maneuver that they do, that is just like a hug when they re-align the upper vertebrae, and leaves that unpleasant "residue" of themselves. This would hang on until I washed and changed clothing.

I was talking about a person's vibe which is perceived by feeling as opposed to a person's odor which is perceived by smelling, but I suppose the dynamics are the same. I experience this often with people who smoke.

That's what I meant, too. That their vibe hangs around long after the interaction. I found that the physical act of washing and changing my clothes seemed to take away that vibe. I had read about doing this, in a book about being sensitive to things like vibes from other people.

I find that interesting that you consider this experience unpleasant. I enjoy it. I feel like I am like a switching box whose interconnecting wiring is defective, so I have to depend upon radio wave communication to avoid feeling cut off from the outside world, though I am not really totally cut off, it just seems that way. The signal coming through the wiring cannot always be trusted. I make a mental note of how the vibe feels so I will be able recognize it, and know whose it is, in case I encounter it in the future when the owner of the vibe is not present.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 7:57 am

activebutodd wrote:
I hate it when people talk loudly when I'm on the phone to them. I have to hold the receiver slightly away from my ear because it's like copping a sharp stick in my eardrum.

I know how you feel. Fortunately my cell phone, and my phone at work have both have volume controls that allow me to crank it way down when that starts happening. I expect folks might tend to do that when they are starting to loose their hearing.

nekowafer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2009, 8:22 am

Today I was walking to the bus, as usual, with my headphones on and my music turned up loud. It helps me ignore everything around me so I can just get to the bus and not notice people looking at me or anything else I don't like. Apparently there was a lady that takes the same bus, who lives near me. She had been trying to get my attention to tell me about a short cut (which I don't like.. walking through damp grass gets my pants wet and I can't stand it), but I didn't see her until I actually got to the bus stop. She got there later than I did, so the short cut wasn't really that short!

When she finally got my attention she held my hand. I have no idea why. She held my right hand and was talking to me from maybe 6 inches away. It was awful. My hand still feels gross.

Also - I have the same hearing problem, if there is background noise I have problems concentrating. I can't talk on the phone if I'm in a crowded place, on the bus, or if the TV is on.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jul 2009, 1:47 pm

activebutodd wrote:

I have a good friend, who talks very loudly. She often says that, with my AS, she is surprised that I hang out with her. But she is such a good friend, that when she calls, I just hold the receiver away from my ear, too! :)

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 3:08 pm

Oooh! Another thing I just thought of is my sensitivity to heat. I don't do well at all when it gets really hot during the summer. Thankfully, we have a pretty mild climate where I live, but it definitely limits where I could live. I doubt I could ever live in south California, Texas, Florida or anyplace in between. Once it gets over 80 degrees, I'm done.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 3:45 pm

Bataar wrote:
Oooh! Another thing I just thought of is my sensitivity to heat. I don't do well at all when it gets really hot during the summer. Thankfully, we have a pretty mild climate where I live, but it definitely limits where I could live. I doubt I could ever live in south California, Texas, Florida or anyplace in between. Once it gets over 80 degrees, I'm done.

Just be glad you weren't in Texas this summer. It was over 100 degrees nearly every day for the past 6 weeks, and reached 112 one day. Tomorrow, it will cool down to a nice, chilly 97 degrees.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 10:28 pm

is it common to be drawn to very bright, clear colors? is that a sensory integration issue? or just a personal thing?

hannahcamille
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2009, 7:49 am

This appears to be a huge issue for ASD. My family doesn't understand the extent to which I feel overstimulated by sensory issues. I'm particularly sensitive to sound. Many people can listen to the radio all day, but I can only listen to the shows that interest me (same for TV). I blog about this issue (if you look up "nldthoughtsandfeelings" it'll show up).

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 9:14 am

Being able to even just barely hear television or radio from adjacent apartment, even one above or below, really gets me really tense - it's like hearing something approaching behind you and it keeps getting closer; and keeps getting closer; and keeps getting closer; and keeps getting closer; and keeps getting closer; and keeps getting closer; and NEVER gets there.
Really disturbing

And sometimes I can feel the apartment building vibrating, probably from all the furnaces/air conditioners, can't relax, keeps me tense.
Used to live in larger brick and steel building, now live in rather smaller wooden one and that helps: but this one still does vibrate at times.
Same with shopping malls, especially upper floor if it has one.

Can't deal with the feel of raw meat, have to handle it with plastic gloves while cooking.

Colognes, perfumes, air fresheners, can cause sinus swelling to the point where wind up sneezing blood (eewwww, icky)

Sometimes have to wear sunglasses to use this thing.

Television - too much noise and commotion.
It's like somebody getting in my face and pushing me back.
Can even feel disturbing "vibes" from that box even when it is off.
Don't have one. Don't want one.

Driving in the city (we live in rural area) or on interstate highway, it's only moments before my hands and feet are soaked with sweat. Often have to take down inside mirror in the car because seeing cars coming up behind at stoplights gives anxiety attacks.

Sadly for my wife :? because of sensory overlaod and stress problems, can't even live with her right now, had to get my own place in November.

There are times when being touched by another person is almost painful to me. :cry: Hate when that happens to me - so hard on her.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 10:43 am

Sight
Only when the sun's bright, I don't wear sunglasses though because when I take them off it seems even brighter than before I put them on so I just look down, works well enough for me. With things like fluorescent lights or strobes, I'm not bothered infact I really like strobe lights.
Sound I don't mind loud noises at all like music or parties, it's fun. BUT BUT BUT, if I want to concentrate on a conversation or watching telly it's really hard when there's noise and comotion in the background, and it's got to be quiet if I want to hear something on telly, I don't put the subs on though because they're distracting, either way I can't win *plays violin sadly*. I for some reason hate it when people sing arund the house, it makes me go angry, don't know why though :?
Taste
I'm mostly average when it comes to taste, but there are some things which I hate and are really digusting. For example icing, or anything sickly, bleh. And I don't like black pepper unless it's on seafood.
Smell I do have quite a strong sense of smell. I don't like alot of body sprays (unless it's mens, it smells way nicer). Oh and air fresheners I don't like, they make things all stuffy.
Touch
This one is really annoying, the other senses, whatever, trivial, don't mind at all. This is probably the one that's given me the most aggro. I can be picky with clothes, nothing tight, too stiff, digging in my neck or arms. There have been clothes where I can feel all the stitching on the neck and everything. Itchy stuff I'm not too keen on like wool. Being sticky is horrid, I hate having sticky hands with a passion, especially hair gels and stuff like that and it's very annoying when there's no way to wash it off :eew: Getting wet when I've got clothes on is another one (everyone hates that though don't they). I don't like sitting really close to people so I'm like leaning on them and our legs accidently brush loads of times. People being touchy feely with me, I don't mind hugs if I'm warned but I rarely initiate them myself. Some food textures are minging, I'm OK with taste but texture, nah. Last night I ate a roll mop out of a jar, the marinade had made the fish go all mushy and soft and even though it tasted OK, the texture was just really really weird.
I hate hate hate it when it's really hot or stuffy, I almost don't know what to do with my self some hot days. Being sweaty I don't like either.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 11:57 am

I hate showers. I must keep them as clean as I can but they're hard to get truly clean so I wear uncomfortable flip flops in. Ew.

The sensory experience is awful. The water is uncomfortably hot or cold, never balanced, and I also get cold standing there. I have trouble getting rid of the soap so my skin and scalp itches, and it wastes water because I have to rinse and rinse and rinse. I also hate having to hold the handheld shower spray and open the shampoo bottle with the other hand.

The new flat I'm in has only a shower and a dodgy clip for holding up the handheld sprayer so I must hold it. By the time I'm washed I'm not relaxed, but so angry I want to smash the tiles with a hammer from sheer frustration and overload.

I hate showers! :evil: They're a sensory torment.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 2:17 pm

I hate showers too.