Who else feels cheated out of a normal childhood?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bubzy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2009, 9:40 pm

Hi-

You know, the most frustrating thing in this world is that I feel like I am seven years old but my body is 28. Therefore I have to act my age, because acting and/or associating with people too much younger than me just does not work in this society. It's kind of sad. I know having others to share such feelings with helps.

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2009, 9:56 pm

I understand you, but I also hang out with older people. My mom always wants me to hang out with people my age, but I can't find anything from them that stimulates me. Talking to younger people is fun since i can give my viewpoints on why a certain show, movie, or book is good or bad based on the plot and everything. And talking to older people is fun since I can debate on different topics. But teens? In my area they seem to like nothing more than rap, their dates, what's someone's doing, and gossip. There's no intellectual subject to debate with them. I feel like an 8 year old inside an 18-year-old body, which is better because my creativity doesn't diminish. :D

bubzy

12 Jul 2009, 10:01 pm

Ah ha, that's why I have good creativity. I know seven year olds are very creative and have a unique viewpoint. My boss at work, who knows about my diagnosis, says he likes my unique viewpoints. He says it is more an ability than a disability.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm

bubzy wrote:
My boss at work, who knows about my diagnosis, says he likes my unique viewpoints. He says it is more an ability than a disability.

Wish my boss would say that... I always get the line of needing to grow up.

But I know what you mean. I'm only just now getting to hang out with people my own age, and even then it's people who are different than the mold.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:06 pm

I'm the exact opposite...I'm being cheated out of adulthood - a 40 year old brain trapped in a 15 year old body...

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:25 pm

just cheated, at every turn.

Crassus
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2009, 11:26 pm

I would suggest care be taken when claiming something is not intellectual. There is a difference between not having groups that wish to intellectualize with you about rap music and rap not being intellectual, there is even a specific subset of rappers known as Intellectual Rappers (Mos Def, Common, Talib Kwali, Lupe Fiasco, etc). There are people who's profession entirely revolves around intellectualizing dating via relationship advice, the entire field of psychoanalysis could be defined as "the intellectualizing of what people do" and gossip, well, gossip is chatter and small talk basically, an exchange of information often done for the sake of information exchange so as to reinforce bonds with a confidant.

Instead of being that creepy guy who spends way to much time in the sand box with the kids, I can just ask a hot girl to spend the weekend at the beach playing in the sand box. They still want to play in the sand box, they just recognize that most of the time they have other responsibilities and no time to just frolic, and I did not enjoy my time in the sandbox when I was seven NEARLY as much as I enjoy building castles on the beach with an adult woman today.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm

cheated out of a childhood? How about a whole life? I wasn't even allowed to keep my child to know being a mother.
I can't even talk to people about my past with out revealing I am a freak of nature that no one else relates to.

sorry for ending that last sentence with a preposition. I was upset.

Merle

bubzy

12 Jul 2009, 11:34 pm

Thats an excellent point about being with the adult women on the beach!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:37 pm

I just did what felt right and never looked back.

riverotter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2009, 11:46 pm

*raises hand*
I basically only talked to adults. I had one friend that was my age until about 14 yrs old.

I still am a little afraid of kids. I never understood them when I was one, or since.

"Cheated" is a good way to describe the feeling. I never had a word for it before. Thank you.

ddunkin

13 Jul 2009, 12:24 am

I felt cheated out of self-understanding the first half of my life (due to lack of diagnosis), I felt like everyone was intentionally leaving me clueless to everything. I'm still frustrated by certain things that people just assume everyone knows, then treat me like an idiot when I don't know.

I'm obviously emotionally immature (inexperienced), but don't associate with people too much younger than me. I've always felt that I fit in better with people well above my age, although am usually not accepted due to immaturity, so I am cheated out of having normal relationships with anyone to this day.

For my entire life, I knew something was wrong, now I'm no longer cheated as I have confirmation that I am different and don't feel like everyone is in on some global conspiracy to make me feel like an idiot. :)

Yes, it is a good word to describe it, as I couldn't post this without using the word three times.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 12:29 am

riverotter wrote:
*raises hand*
I basically only talked to adults. I had one friend that was my age until about 14 yrs old.

I still am a little afraid of kids. I never understood them when I was one, or since.

This describes me very well. I was closest to adults and teachers and had two (maybe three) friends my age total between grade school and the early part of high school. In my scout troop, I was the only one my age. Most everyone else was four years younger than me. It didn't bother me in the least.

Only now that I am in my thirties am I starting to hang out with people about my age, and those are a fairly select bunch. Most of my friends are still 4-5 years older (though it starts to matter a lot less the older you get).

I think "cheated" is the wrong word for me. Had I not been "cheated," I wouldn't have been so engrossed in music, and I can't imagine life without having that kind of intensity and passion.

Surely I was different than a lot of kids, but I don't regret one bit of it. Being totally consumed in everything I did was really fun. I was very naive and extremely affectionate. I still sort of am, but it's not quite the same. While I don't miss my childhood, I don't regret it at all. I'm a very live-in-the-present sort of guy, I guess.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 12:32 am

riverotter wrote:
*raises hand*

Same. I still do only talk to adults or at least prefer it. But I'm not afraid of little kids now, I feel like one still so they're cool.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 12:34 am

buryuntime wrote:
riverotter wrote:
*raises hand*

Same. I still do only talk to adults or at least prefer it. But I'm not afraid of little kids now, I feel like one still so they're cool.

I like little kids, up until about junior high, then they freak me out (at least in groups) until they're in college.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2009, 1:09 am

i get along with people who are a bit older or a few more years older than me.I dont get the whole gossip thing and dont care for it.I have been frozen out of the in crowd in my class...the students are all a bit younger than me or the same age.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!