Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Tracker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 10:08 am

I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and got a job just fine 8 months ago. The industry is NOT dead. If you dont believe me, just look on a job search site like monster.com. Type in mechanical engineer and see how many hits you get.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 11:32 am

I have a computer engineering degree. I have found times to be tough for the last two years. However, I am now employed back in my field, and am currently working as an Embedded Systems Developer for a telecommunications equipment designer and manufacturer. I am thinking that I may wish to move back to hardware sometime, though.

Software designers currently face a large problem, in that their products are easily transferable, and with communication the way it is, a designer in India may code an application for a fraction of the price. The issues such as the lack of quality, the language barriers, and differing emphasis on functionality do not appear on a budget sheet, which is what management largely make decisions upon.

Hardware too faces the issue that there are an excess number of practitioners from the tech boom. Thus, until this situation rectifies itself, it is unlikely that matters will improve.The odd issue is that for the positions that are still available, the salary is still quite reasonable. Perhaps I should go and browse my economics textbook again. :roll:

That is my $0.02, anyways...