Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 3:23 am

Insert self congratulatory message here... :P

I've been 27 for about an hour now, I marked the occasion by firing up a smelly cigar while waiting for the late ferry home, I hate to say it, the dirty looks I was getting from passive aggressive Seattlites on the dock made it taste even better. Tomorrow I'm doing the low-key family celebration, then my brother and I are going to hit some sort of charity event culminating in a midnight showing of the new Harry Potter movie, I'm a longtime HP fanatic, so I'm pretty excited. Apparently the early reviews are looking pretty good, so hopefully they'll be sending Dumbledore off in proper style.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 4:28 am

Happy Birthday from Hungary

Vanilla_Slice

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 6:59 am

Happy Birthday 8)

Here's some early footage of the young dox47 getting his first gun. :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsJnZlIp6m4[/youtube]

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 8:56 am

I don't really notice birthdays. They are all the same to me. But I hope you are having a good day.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:19 am

Happy July 14th Birthday Greetings, Dox47!

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:33 am

Happy Barfday!

I'm going to watch the new movie, too.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 11:50 am

Happy Birthday :)

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jul 2009, 1:22 pm

Wait until you hit 30! 8O

The former things have passed away."

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:37 pm

Happy Bastille Day!

and Happy Birthday too.

It's my birthday today... I've just hit the big 40.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2009, 9:48 pm

gbollard wrote:
It's my birthday today... I've just hit the big 40.

Welcome to the Middle Age. :D

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 4:44 am

Thanks everyone, it's been a great birthday this year! I just got back from the midnight Harry Potter showing, and without giving anything away I can say that this one is far and away the best of the movies, just head and shoulders above the others. Half Blood Prince wasn't my favorite of the books, Order of the Phoenix pushes my anti-authority buttons in a most pleasurable way, but the movie version of HBP is far superior to OOTP, and that was the best one up to this point.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

15 Jul 2009, 9:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Thanks everyone, it's been a great birthday this year! I just got back from the midnight Harry Potter showing, and without giving anything away I can say that this one is far and away the best of the movies, just head and shoulders above the others. Half Blood Prince wasn't my favorite of the books, Order of the Phoenix pushes my anti-authority buttons in a most pleasurable way, but the movie version of HBP is far superior to OOTP, and that was the best one up to this point.

Since I'm going to watch the Half Blood Prince on the weekend I'm glad to know that I wont be wasting my money.
Did you get any presents for your birthday? Mine is coming up soon and I honestly don't want any because I hate having to give an overly excited reaction, otherwise for some reason people think I don't like the gift. :?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 10:42 pm

Funnily enough HP3 Azkaban was my favourite until the Half Blood Prince came along. The movies seem to follow my favourites with most people saying that 6 is the best (so far) followed by 3.

Glad you had a great birthday. I did too.

I got home and my wife had gotten me a Wii. I'm not actually a big video game fan but if I'd chosen anything it would have been another Playstation 2 since I can't get near the one that my kids have - and I have so many games. Failing that, I was waiting for the PS3 to turn into a compatible machine again. I'd never expressed any interest in the Wii.

All that aside, we're experiencing financial difficulties (we've just built a new house and some negative income changes have suddenly occurred), so I've been holding off buying DVDs that I want even though they are $15.

It was therefore completely unable to give a positive reaction when confronted with this expensive new toy. To make matters worse, I was dog-tired (3 days in a row with 10+ hours work and under 4 hours sleep can do that to you). I was going to try and get my wife to take it back but the kids were so excited over it...

Yes, mine was a good birthday yesterday, but I hate surprise presents. They trip my reflexes wrong and I end up giving a completely wrong (and insulting) impression.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 2:38 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Since I'm going to watch the Half Blood Prince on the weekend I'm glad to know that I wont be wasting my money.
Did you get any presents for your birthday? Mine is coming up soon and I honestly don't want any because I hate having to give an overly excited reaction, otherwise for some reason people think I don't like the gift. :?

Yep, I got a snazzy new pizza cutter from my little sister, some gift cards from my half siblings, and a whole variety of stuff from my mom. I tend to ask for practical things, so this year I got some wrought iron tiki torches for my patio, a new pair of harness boots, a pet grooming kit for my cats, and a vintage suit from my brother. The suit is a bit of a story in itself, apparantly my brother got it in some sort of trade on a clothing forum he frequents, and it didn't fit him but fits me nearly perfectly, and looks damn sharp to boot. What makes it a bit over the top is that the suit is a Brooks Brother's Golden Fleece that if you bought it today would be well into the 4 figures, so I'm paranoid to wear it out to dinner or anywhere else I might spill something on it.

As far as reacting to gifts goes, my family has gotten pretty used to my limited range of enthusiasm, and learned that the way I express my gratitude is by talking about how useful the gift has been to me later. For example, I got some nice cutlery for Christmas from my mom, and for the next few days kept mentioning how much better they cut than my old knives did, I think that's a more genuine expression of gratitude than mere thanks anyway, but it has taken a while for my family to recognize my pattern.

Brittany2907

16 Jul 2009, 9:33 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The suit is a bit of a story in itself, apparantly my brother got it in some sort of trade on a clothing forum he frequents, and it didn't fit him but fits me nearly perfectly, and looks damn sharp to boot. What makes it a bit over the top is that the suit is a Brooks Brother's Golden Fleece that if you bought it today would be well into the 4 figures, so I'm paranoid to wear it out to dinner or anywhere else I might spill something on it.

Did your brother know that the suit is worth so much before he gave it to you? Most people would probably sell something like that if it didn't fit them, which is why I'm wondering. Anyway, I'd be paranoid to wear it too (if I was a guy, I mean).

Dox47 wrote:
As far as reacting to gifts goes, my family has gotten pretty used to my limited range of enthusiasm, and learned that the way I express my gratitude is by talking about how useful the gift has been to me later. For example, I got some nice cutlery for Christmas from my mom, and for the next few days kept mentioning how much better they cut than my old knives did, I think that's a more genuine expression of gratitude than mere thanks anyway, but it has taken a while for my family to recognize my pattern.

I wish that my family would understand this about me.