Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 7:59 pm

Odin wrote:
LOL, I still have the w/wh distinction in my speech, but that's probably because I grew up in a back-woods rural area. Oh, one thing that bugs me is how many Brits don't use the subjunctive mood, apparently us Americans are more archaic in grammar than the Brits.

It seems to me that American preserves rather a lot of archaisms compared to British, though I can't be sure this isn't just a skew in my knowledge.

Quote:
Most horrible spring ever. We had the Red River flooding, then a close friend, who is physically disabled, was raped, and then my stepdad suddenly got pancreatitis and died. :cry:

:( I'm very sorry.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 2:59 am

twoshots wrote:
Funny thing about glottal t is that it's a common allophone in North America too - just not intervocally. Check out the common pronunciation of "mitten".

Where I'm from, we have the glottal stop t's as well. We do it differently from the English though. They pronounce mitten like "mi'en", while out here we say "mi'n". Yes, believe it or not, the letter 'n' by itself can be a syllable to some people. :lol:
If you come out to the Pacific Northwest...
Mountain = "Mao'n"
Important = "Impor'n"
Hunting = "Huh'n"
Then there's an odd one... We do the same thing with "Something", but instead of having an 'n' stand alone, we use an 'm', so it's pronounced like "Suh'm"

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 6:22 am

I guess it can annoy me, but I try to ignore a lot the pronounciation as I can be caught when unprepared saying it that way. An interesting question is the prononciation of the letter H, usualy it is pronounced "hach" but I heard that it actualy doesn't have the h part and should be pronounced "ach".

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 6:31 am

When people say "specific" as "pacific" and "something" as "somethink" it annoys me more ;)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 4:36 pm

I pronounce library "lie-bree", probably because I live in the midlands in england.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 10:00 pm

twoshots wrote:
Odin wrote:
LOL, I still have the w/wh distinction in my speech, but that's probably because I grew up in a back-woods rural area. Oh, one thing that bugs me is how many Brits don't use the subjunctive mood, apparently us Americans are more archaic in grammar than the Brits.

It seems to me that American preserves rather a lot of archaisms compared to British, though I can't be sure this isn't just a skew in my knowledge.

On a languages message board I post on, Unilang, several British posters and an Australian poster remarked something to the effect that we Americans sound polite and old-fashioned. The Australian poster was amazed that a American-written manual for something he was fixing used constructions that in his mind were associated with Dickens and Jane Austin! 8O

Geez, I never thought something like "were he to own that" and "you be good" as "archaic"!

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 10:04 pm

Cyanide wrote:
twoshots wrote:
Funny thing about glottal t is that it's a common allophone in North America too - just not intervocally. Check out the common pronunciation of "mitten".

Where I'm from, we have the glottal stop t's as well. We do it differently from the English though. They pronounce mitten like "mi'en", while out here we say "mi'n". Yes, believe it or not, the letter 'n' by itself can be a syllable to some people. :lol:
If you come out to the Pacific Northwest...
Mountain = "Mao'n"
Important = "Impor'n"
Hunting = "Huh'n"
Then there's an odd one... We do the same thing with "Something", but instead of having an 'n' stand alone, we use an 'm', so it's pronounced like "Suh'm"
I have the same thing.

Unlike the Brits, we don't turn our Ts in between vowels into glottal stops, instead Ts and Ds in between vowels (or syllabic R like in "butter") become a flapped R similar to the one found in Spanish.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

SystemDown wrote:
Anyone not like it when the library is referred to as the "lie bary"?

Yes. It is very annoying when someone is too ignorant to speak his/her own language correctly. And the worst part is, I see and hear it more often now than earlier, even from people who should know better like reporters, translators, authors and editors.
When adults use what I call "dum-i-huet-norsk" (stupid-in-the-head-Norwegian) I simply stop respecting them. If people can't conjugate a simple verb (or noun), I look down on them. It's probably not nice, but anyone with a normal IQ can speak their native language; it's only a matter of wanting to be correct.

My first dog was called "the manageress" (in Norwegian: bestyrerinna) by a woman in the neighbourhood. But she speaks s-i-t-h-Norwegian so she said "bysserinna" instead. I never even understood what she meant until I asked my mother when I was a teen. My mother wasn't entirely sure either!
That wasn't very important but it does show how easily inproper use of the language will create misunderstandings.

One of my pet peeves is when "fly" is conjugated "flydde" (flied) instead of "fløy" (flew). Another is using "han" (he) instead of "ham" (him). I could go on... and on ... and...

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Mar 2023, 10:28 am

I have never seen any lieberry pies for sale at the grocery store.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 6:42 am

I tend to say "lie-bree", and also "Feb-bree" for February, quite a lot. Shameful, I know.

And yet I still get irritated when some people say "lie-bary" or "Feb-you-airy".

Go figure. :shrug:

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)