Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 11:24 am

I've been told i looked like Harry Potter (at least when i was younger, now i'd need to shave daily for it to show ^^; )

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2009, 3:31 am

It was a very good movie. (:
I agree with the thread title muy muchos!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 12:15 am

I loved it! Best one since the third, but since I've seen the third a million times it kinda holds the best one spot for me now, lol.

Loved:
-Everything with Snape
-Tom Felton's performance as Draco Malfoy, and just the way Malfoy was handled in general. Really got to the core of his character. Also he had a kickass outfit.
-The addition of the Burrow battle. Really helped with the pace in the middle.
-Lavender. WON WON!
-The opening, with the picture-taking...I had a lump in my throat and the movie had just begun!
-The new actor for the teenage Tom Riddle. Supremely creepy.
-The Liquid Luck scene was funny as hell. I never knew that Daniel Radcliff could be so funny!
-The bathroom battle, and the bloody effects of Sectumsempra...wonderfully brutal
-The Cave Scene was great, especially the bit with Harry giving Dumbledore the water. I never felt for Dumbledore until now.
-The overall mood kept things nice and dark, even during all the teen angst stuff, which I actually liked and thought was kept in reasonable moderation. "She has nice skin."
-The Umbreakable Vow scene was well handled.
-The pace moved at a nice clip!
-By far the best performances of the entire series.
-No Dursleys. Good decision!

Nitpicks:
-The necklace curse scene with Katy Bell flying looked very poor
-The time where they cut to the first Slughorn memory was awkward; I wondered if a reel had been missed. Suddenly Dumbledore is back. They should've showed Harry come to his office.
-For Dumbledore's murder, Harry went under the floor and DID NOTHING WHILE DUMBLEDORE WAS MURDERED, just stared up and watched. I didn't buy it.
-The end battle was cut. I know they did it to not make the end battle in the last one feel repetitive but come on, at least have SOME resistence.
-The funeral was cut. Would have really helped with the sadness aspect.
-Neither Michael Gambon nor Richard Harris read the books, so it's no wonder neither of them got Dumbledore right. Dumbledore is inteligent, he is powerful, and he is BLOODY INSANE. He should be quirky as hell. When he died in the film I didn't feel the same connection.
-There were too many scenes of Malfoy going to the Room of Requirement. The shot of him pulling the veil off of the wardrobe repeated too many freaking times.
-Though the cave scene was great, the inferi were bad looking CGI. They should have been people in suits.
-While Hermione's "eyebrow issues" seemed to have finally faded away, the disease of the constantly-moving-eyebrows seemed to have gone to Slughorn, though Jim Broadbent gave an otherwise fine performance. (I always imagined Slughorn looking different though.) Slughorn did a perfect job in the scene where he talked to Riddle about Horcruxes, though.
-I missed the House of Gaunt scene. That really gave you an idea for how messed up Riddle's parentage was.
-The "half-blood prince" aspect was kept to such a minimum that it had no real importance. The fascianting thing about it was how much Harry worshiped the Prince, to the point where he put him on the same level as Dumbledore--then finds out that it's Snape, who he loaths so much.
-No scenes of Snape teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Indeed, they ignored the fact that he was teaching it altogether!
-The lack of the Weasly Is Our King sub plot made the addition of the Liquid Luck deception to the quidditch game--or even the quidditch sub plot at all--feel pretty unimportant.
-The film DID feel its 2 hour 40 minute running time; though I wish there was more, some of it definitely felt overlong.

I'm being hard on it. I enjoyed it immensely overall.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 12:46 am

Yeah, this is one of those movies that was a lot of fun to see, but once you leave, things nag at you. For instance, where the bleep are Bill and Charlie Weasley? And The Burrow fire? Hello? Why did they even show up there? How, we are all wondering here, are they planning to kick off the last couple of movies? I don't have a problem with a lot of the changes, really. Film is far different than books in the way the story must be paced and presented. Of course. But I don't get some of the cuts and changes that have been made in a lot of otherwise lovely productions in the past 10 years. And dang it, I really wanted to see the impromptu public kiss that got Harry and Ginny together. Yes, I admit it.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

squeeker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2009, 1:33 am

I enjoyed the Harry Potter film as well, and I am a big fan of the books! It was different this time because one of my friends actually got into watching the movies (not the books yet, unfortunately). Overall, I really liked it, I really loved the Lucky potion scene and thought it was really funny, when Harry drank it to try convincing Slughorn to give him the memory. I thought Luna was amazing. Though I was sad about all the changed/skipped scenes, I know that movie and book are different things so I will not nitpick too much.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 4:12 am

Veresae wrote:
The funeral was cut. Would have really helped with the sadness aspect.

I have a theory that the next one will open with the funeral.

One of the few parts I had an issue with was when Malfoy was all quietly bloody in the bathroom. Snape came in and sort-of glared at Harry with moderate disapproval and let Harry leave through a door that someone oh-so-politely held open for him. It sure was nice of that random kid to help Harry escape the crime scene. :lol:

Oh! And the scene with the Felix... That was great. Daniel Radcliff's funniness surprised me too. :lol:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 9:33 am

I would also like to add my fear that they might leave out the wedding that is meant to happen in the 7th, it is a very important part of the series, but neither Bill nor Charlie have been introduced, it would probably be to strange to sudenly have a wedding with Fleur and Bill. Thinking back I would have hoped that they possibly introduced their relationship when they were showing Lupin and Tonks relationship, maybe especialy since both their children were romanticly linked in the future chapter. I am a bit woried how they might handel the suden everything is going to hell part in the 7th, or that Harry was suposed to inherit the Black mention, which is also a big part of the 7th.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2009, 3:30 pm

Jaejoongfangirl--maybe you're right! Maybe they'll have the funeral INSTEAD of Bill and Fleur's wedding!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 8:37 am

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Veresae wrote:
The funeral was cut. Would have really helped with the sadness aspect.

I have a theory that the next one will open with the funeral.

One of the few parts I had an issue with was when Malfoy was all quietly bloody in the bathroom. Snape came in and sort-of glared at Harry with moderate disapproval and let Harry leave through a door that someone oh-so-politely held open for him. It sure was nice of that random kid to help Harry escape the crime scene. :lol:

Oh! And the scene with the Felix... That was great. Daniel Radcliff's funniness surprised me too. :lol:

Same here. It's a very funny scene in the book where Harry tries to switch books on Snape.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I like how much stuff David Yates seems to cut out when making these films. It all seems to rushed and squished together. I'm a bit relieved that Deathly Hallows will be split into 2 films. Now he doesnt have any excuse for leaving out any major parts in the story line when he's got 5-6hrs of film to work with!

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 3:23 pm

Another thing that bothered me: after the bathroom fight, Snape just let Harry go, after Harry almost killed Draco! What the hell? Harry isn't punished at ALL for this? Nope, he's just back in the common room with his chums. :/

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 9:54 pm

Considering I haven't seen any of the previous movies or read any of the books, I think I'll have to pass on this.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 4:57 am

Veresae wrote:
Another thing that bothered me: after the bathroom fight, Snape just let Harry go, after Harry almost killed Draco! What the hell? Harry isn't punished at ALL for this? Nope, he's just back in the common room with his chums. :/

I can't quite remember but I think something did come of it, I think one issue that Snape didn't want to push was how he knew how to heal the wounds of the spell. Aswell as issues that Malfoy is the one who started the fight, Malfoy may have ended up getting in trouble, but Snape had to make sure to protect Malfoy. Not to mention that Harry was pretty close for the duration of the 6th book.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 12:07 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Veresae wrote:

I can't quite remember but I think something did come of it, I think one issue that Snape didn't want to push was how he knew how to heal the wounds of the spell. Aswell as issues that Malfoy is the one who started the fight, Malfoy may have ended up getting in trouble, but Snape had to make sure to protect Malfoy. Not to mention that Harry was pretty close for the duration of the 6th book.

Yeah, that's in the book. But in the movie, they don't mention any concequences at all. It just happens.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

I haven’t seen it but was looking forward to doing so only because I’m a big fan of IMAX 3D movies and it was advertised as such several months ago. Now I just found out that only the first twelve minutes of it is 3D. Anyone have any idea why? Why only the first twelve minutes? This is like going to the restaurant and only having the appetizer and desert. It may be ok but you feel like you missed something. I might as well wait until it comes to cable and order a pizza.

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 3:15 am

Veresae wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
Veresae wrote:

Yeah, that's in the book. But in the movie, they don't mention any concequences at all. It just happens.
And someone even holds the door for Harry on his way out. XD
That was my favorite part of that scene if you can't tell. :lol:

@ Coadunate: I haven't heard anything about it being 3D. What is this? :?:

I agree very much with these criticisms:
Quote:
-The "half-blood prince" aspect was kept to such a minimum that it had no real importance.
-No scenes of Snape teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. Indeed, they ignored the fact that he was teaching it altogether!
-The lack of the Weasly Is Our King sub plot made the addition of the Liquid Luck deception to the quidditch game--or even the quidditch sub plot at all--feel pretty unimportant.

That "switch the book scene" that was mentioned earlier was hilarious. I think it would have filmed well, would have been humorous and have enhanced the first-time audience members' comprehension of the thing mentioned in the title and better emphasized its importance.
Actually, they did mention that Snape was to be the new teacher of DAtDA at the beginning of the movie in the Great Hall - but nobody reacted.
They could have at least had people walking around with the buttons on. ):

So there's my input - yet again. XD

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran