Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2009, 7:46 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Claradoon wrote:
I got off Prozac recently after almost 10 years @ 60mg daily. I can see clearly now. ;~> It's kind of funny though, because I remember the first time I took it, something way deep inside me said "YES!" - and it was the right thing to do at the time. But recently I had a feeling from that same deep place, "Time to get off it" so I tapered off easily. I was flying clear for a time; now I'm dealing with stressful events, not sure how that will go.

Interesting you should say that - some years ago a partner of mine had wonderful memories of her first use of some prescribed antidepressant or other, and had initially thought it the answer to all her problems. But over time it became worse than useless, though she was scared to come off it and (as far as I know) never did. She was (arguably) the most disturbed soul I've ever known in my life. Seems to me that drugs prescribed in a "properly thought-out way" by qualified health professionals can sometimes end up looking very much like a case of amateur drug abuse - there's the initial euphoria as if the answer has been found at last, followed by a slow, downhill walk into suffering and ill-health.

That's not quite what I meant. The "deep place" that said Yes to Prozac was not physical, mental, or psychological. And the docs told me there was no such thing, I couldn't possibly know for weeks, etc. The "Yes" experience came within 20 minutes of taking the first pill. And it was only a kind of message - no symptomatic relief, no solutions or resolutions. Just a sure knowledge that I was doing the right thing. I was still miserable, but I had one small answer - go ahead with this pill.

And it wasn't the pill-that-became-hell either. It did well by me, although I was out of it for quite some time; I probably needed to be. And when that "Deep Place" said to let go, it didn't grapple to stay or anything like that - I just tapered off without any trouble.

Justin6378
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jul 2009, 7:53 am

It sounds like you've done well Claradoon!
I'm just over a week with no meds for the first time in 3 years with no problems! (so far)
Fingers crossed! and long may it continue! :D

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2009, 8:11 am

Claradoon wrote:
The "deep place" that said Yes to Prozac was not physical, mental, or psychological. And the docs told me there was no such thing, I couldn't possibly know for weeks, etc. The "Yes" experience came within 20 minutes of taking the first pill. And it was only a kind of message - no symptomatic relief, no solutions or resolutions. Just a sure knowledge that I was doing the right thing. I was still miserable, but I had one small answer - go ahead with this pill.

And it wasn't the pill-that-became-hell either. It did well by me, although I was out of it for quite some time; I probably needed to be. And when that "Deep Place" said to let go, it didn't grapple to stay or anything like that - I just tapered off without any trouble.

Curious......I don't think I have such a thing in my psyche. I get the occasional intuitive feeling about this or that, but it just as often turns out to be wrong as right, so I tend to see it as unreliable, and usually wait for hard evidence. Unless it's not a very important matter - in that case I can do little harm by following intuition sometimes, just to see where it leads.

My girlfriend's antidepressants didn't become hell for her - they just ceased to be the miracle cure that she'd initially thought they were. She was already in hell before she ever took them...but that's another story.

Anyway, well done Justin and Claradoon..........I'm a great believer in staying off meds as long as there isn't a very good reason to be on them.