Songs, or parts of songs that remind you of things

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Ackman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 2:28 pm

I have several

Boys night out, Timothy B. Schmit: The beginning reminds me of driving through town on a snowy night.
So alive, Love and Rockets: Walking to work
Nothing comes to mind, Cause and Effect: my grandmother's house, and her burial place.
In the air tonight, Phil Collins: Reminds me of the day my grandmother died.

Manders
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

'Barely Breathing' by Duncan Sheik brings back very strong memories of last winter.

A lot of things were going on in my life at the time, and back then I listened to and thought about that song a lot. It was always in my head, and I could relate to it. I haven't really listened to it a lot since, so the memories tied to it haven't faded at all. I can even feel the cold air when I listen to it.

There are many, many songs that remind me of things.

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2009, 3:51 pm

My goodness, this could be a long list.

Liverpool Express - You Are My Love reminds me of the YMCA in Manchester where I used to train.

Rose Royce - Wishing on A Star reminds me of the Outline gym where I later trained, they used to play it over the PA.

Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight reminds me of a girl who drove me crazy.

Bill Withers - Lovely Day was playing in the disco during my first ever night out with a girl.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells was playing the first time I watched someone take their clothes off for me, with me watching her every move.

Atlantic Starr - Always was the tune my ex wife decided was to be 'ours'. I never want to hear it again.

Billy Joel - An Innocent Man reminds me of a pretty blonde who doesn't seem to like me too much.

Ultravox - Vienna reminds me of a very special lady from a long time ago.

Vangelis - 1492 Opening Theme reminds me of the Commonwealth Games in Manchester which an ex-girlfriend of mine helped organize.

Donagio - The Theme From Carrie reminds me that once in a while I can be a little bit out of it all.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon reminds me of my stay in a psychiatric hospital.

Jeff Wayne - War of the Worlds reminds me of boring camping trips with my parents because that's where I first heard it on the car radio.

There are others

Vanilla_Slice

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 5:31 am

Yes I can really relate to this.

The main melody in u-Ziq's song "Hasty Boom Alert" reminds me of loneliness for some weird reason.

My list goes on. I think I might have Synesthesia, seeing how I can also relate some certains songs to certain colours as well as emotions.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2009, 6:11 am

I won't post a list. It doesn't matter. Mine would be different to yours.

Yes a song can really take you back to the time of your life when you first heard it.

CGstucknthe80s
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2009, 10:24 pm

Man, I could go on forever about song associations, although most are random memories rather than personal memories. Here's a few of mine and by the way, the memories are mostly caused by the instrumentals, with a few rare exceptions of lyrics:

1: "The Block Is Hot" by Lil Wayne. I only listen to the instrumental to this, no lyrics, and it always reminds me of Harry Potter for some reason.

2: "2300 Jackson Street" by The Jacksons. This always reminds me of being with my family and friends and reminds me of my stomping grounds, not forgetting where I came from. Actually this song goes neck in neck since the same idea applies to this song.

3: "Slow" by Sammie. For some reason it reminds me of the character Ben Tennyson. If Ben were to sing, I would imagine him having the same falsetto style showcased in this particular song. I don't know what Ben's musical tastes are, but I always picture him listening to a lot of laid-back r&b more than rock music, I don't know why. Maybe it's his personality?

4: "Body" by The Jacksons reminds me of trying out for the 1984 USA basketball team in the Olympics.

5: "1st Of Tha Month" by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony always reminds me of Back To The Future, only it's the current era and Marty and Doc (with their same ages from the original movie intact) time travel back to 1984 or 1985 and screwing up history by bringing new-era products and music to the 80's.

I got many others but your eyes are probably burning looking at my list. lol
I know I may have posted too much but it was just fun to list them down like this.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 12:01 am

Warren Zevon

"Lawyer, Guns and Money"

Reminds me of my life in general ....

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 2:21 pm

In the Air Tonight- Phil Collins- reminds me of seperated love.
Alexander Graham Bell- Sweet- reminds me of innovation and changing the world.
Sweet Talkin' Woman- ELO- reminds me of being seperated from my internet for a long period of time.
Planet Earth- Duran Duran- reminds me of my beautiful Magnus ;)

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

WillMcC
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 4:48 pm

I tend to associate songs with events in which I heard them. A lot of it is from commercials, but marketing isn't good enough if I don't spend any money.

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life - Cruise ships (from the Royal Caribbean commercials)
Tom Petty - American Girl - The highway (US 441), and Gainesville in general. There's an urban legend that Petty wrote the song about a girl who committed suicide by jumping from Beaty Towers, a dormitory on the UF campus. I can see the road (but not the dormitory) from the office.
Greased Lightning - Working out - I happened to have that on my MP3 player back in high school (this was before there were iPods) when I would go down to the YMCA after school
Allman Brothers Band - Jessica - Top Gear (the TV show)
Van Halen - Jump - Sporting/Olympic type events - If I recall correctly, it was used as a theme for Top Town back in the 80s
Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady - Riding the "Rock and Roller Coaster" at Disney MGM Studios
Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over - New Zealand, my home country, as it was used in some 100% Pure NZ commercials on US TV
Pink Floyd - Echoes - The last few scenes in 2001 - A Space Odyssey, as it was discovered that they synced somewhat like Dark Side of the Moon and Wizard of Oz.
The Cars - Just What I Needed - Now defunct electronics retailer Circuit City (from the commercials). Back in the 90's their service really was state-of-the-art, but despite their success associating the song with the store, I didn't shop there that often after the 90s.
James Brown - I Got You - The now defunct DEKA store chain in NZ (from the commercials in the 80s and 90s when I still lived there)

kaitlyn_loves_music
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2009, 6:13 pm

new years day by: u2
reminds me of driving with my dad late at night.
they always play that song on the radio so thats why.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 7:29 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Warren Zevon

"Lawyer, Guns and Money"

Reminds me of my life in general ....

:lol:

I can definitely relate to that.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

02 Aug 2009, 9:41 pm

This particular verse from "Goodbye I'm Sorry" by Jamestown Story.

"It's been the years, of abuse.
Neglected to treat the disorder,
That controls my youth, for so long.
I'm in a fleshy tomb, buried up above the ground.
It's no use, why should I hold on?
It's been five years, don't need one more.
So goodbye, life's abuse."

It reminds me why I have been depressed on and off for so long.