Did you or your aspie child have a traumatic birth?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pekkla
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2009, 2:29 am

In a recent thread, several people mentioned that they had what could be described as "traumatic" births, some involving lack of oxygen for a few seconds or brain injury. I was a breech birth and my adopted son was born with the chord wrapped around his neck. We are both Aspies. And our neighbor has an autistic child who was quite premature with a few delivery issues. I'm wondering how common birth trauma is in the life experience of people on the autustic spectrum. Could it be a cause or contributing factor? What does everyone else think?

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 3:51 am

pekkla wrote:
In a recent thread, several people mentioned that they had what could be described as "traumatic" births, some involving lack of oxygen for a few seconds or brain injury. I was a breech birth and my adopted son was born with the chord wrapped around his neck. We are both Aspies. And our neighbor has an autistic child who was quite premature with a few delivery issues. I'm wondering how common birth trauma is in the life experience of people on the autustic spectrum. Could it be a cause or contributing factor? What does everyone else think?

I was born very prematurely, low birthweight and had a brain bleed when I was just a few days old. This caused hydrocephalus ("water-on-the-brain"). These are all known risk factors for autism spectrum conditions, but I am not sure whether in my case it's the only cause, since several of my family members have/had autistic traits.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 4:12 am

It could be a contributing factors, perhaps even more than that for some people?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/24689.php

Quote:
Heidi Larsson and colleagues from the North Atlantic Neuro-Epidemiology Alliances studied 698 children born in Denmark after 1972 and diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder before 2000 and more than 17,000 nonautistic children born in the country during the same time period. Researchers found:

* Infants born before 35 weeks gestation were about 2.5 times as likely as infants born between 37 and 42 weeks gestation to be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder;

* Infants born in a breech presentation -- buttocks emerging first -- were 1.63 times as likely as infants born head first to have autism;

* Infants who five minutes after delivery scored seven or lower on the Apgar test -- a composite test measuring heart rate, respiratory effort, muscle tone, skin color and reflex irritability -- were 1.89 times as likely as infants with Apgar scores of 10 at five minutes after birth to develop autism;

I on the other hand was excellently healthy at birth, perfect Apgar scores.

Crocodile
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2009, 5:58 am

There has been a thread before on this, as you wrote. Well, I can only explain what I've read in some articles in a newspaper about this. Apparently many autistic children had troubles being born. It seems that the child and the mothe physically ''work'' together to get the child born. Autistic children in that situation suffer there for the firs time from their lack of communication skills. My birth took two days and my umbilical cord was wrapped twice around my neck.

I GRADUATED WITH THE HIGHEST GRADES OF MY YEAR!! !! !

whipstitches
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2009, 8:37 am

I was breech and my mother said it took something crazy like 20 hours or more for me to be born..... YIKES!

Both of my girls were c-section births. My teen daughter was an emergency one. She was blue when she was born and wouldn't cry. She is diagnosed with ADD and is being screen for anxiety and depression right now (interesting....). My preschool daughter was a planned c-section. Everything was smooth as could possibly be. She is a little Aspie.

jdcaldwell
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2009, 8:47 am

my son was born 2 weeks late, but other than that I was in labor for 6 hours, the delivery was textbook, there was no trauma (other than the normal trauma of birth) and he was perfectly healthy...

Vanilla_Slice
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 8:47 am

No, I just arrived in the middle of a performance of 'Ben Hur' at the local movie theater.

Vanilla_Slice

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2009, 8:56 am

I was born premature at 2 lbs. 10 oz. I was an emergency c-section because my heart rate was down, so they had to get me out or else I'd have died. Unfortunately, I'm the only aspie in my family, but I think my great uncle from my mom's side is autistic, so I guess it runs in our family, just that it probably skips a generation.

And yeah, I also had to be kept in the hospital for three months because my respiratory system wasn't working either. So yeah, many complications at my birth.

I'm also ADHD, so I guess traumatic births can play a role in ASD and ADHD.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 9:22 am

^^ Yaye, I must say I find this very interesting indeed. I am not quite certain if my little birth may be considered happily traumatic, however I believe my mother's happy immune system began attacking myself whilst I was living within my mother. I required to be born a little early (my birth was predicted to be the 6th October, yet I was born 25th September).

SplinterStar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2009, 9:28 am

I was a C-section. I don't know what that implies.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 9:51 am

According to Dr. Tony Attwood's famous book on Asperger's Syndrome, many Aspies had difficult births. Whether the birth problems contribute to the syndrome or the syndrome to the birth problems is not known.

My mother was in labour for 48 hours with me, which is a very long time. She had a double water sac, I think -- so when her waters broke, I still couldn't come out at once. It took them a long time to figure out what was wrong. I was also quite big at birth, I think 8 lbs and 4 ounces.

I also developed a rash immediately when they put me in the warm room with the other babies, so they moved me to a regular ward, where it was cooler.

Jacaen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jul 2009, 12:23 pm

My mother had a very difficult pregnancy with me, but I think the birth was relatively easy. I was a little jaundiced though.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 12:31 pm

I was born a month late, I was underweight and I was pulled out with foreceps..my mom had a theory that it might have been the foreceps that addlepated me.

A colleague of mine has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and he was a breach birth with the umbilical cord around the neck..unconscious on leaving the womb...but he likes to overdramatcize his birth story..so no telling what really happened.....My point being that while not exactly NT...he is hyper-social and manipulative....I frequently refer to him as the evil cousin of the aspies...he is also dyslexic and has a photographic memory.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 12:43 pm

Crocodile wrote:
There has been a thread before on this, as you wrote. Well, I can only explain what I've read in some articles in a newspaper about this. Apparently many autistic children had troubles being born. It seems that the child and the mothe physically ''work'' together to get the child born. Autistic children in that situation suffer there for the firs time from their lack of communication skills. My birth took two days and my umbilical cord was wrapped twice around my neck.
This is very interesting. I had an oxygen shortage when I was born, I was purple all over. My mother says she thinks this may have contributed to my autism, but she's no doctor and she's not very well-informed about these things. But it is interesting to think that our lack of communication skills goes so far as to factor into the womb, and manifest as perhaps giving off the wrong signals and cut off the oxygen supply too soon.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 1:20 pm

I did not have a traumatic birth that I'm aware of -- in papers I seen no birth complications were listed, anyway. My autistic younger sister didn't have a traumatic birth, either.

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2009, 7:44 pm

I know that I was born a month late, but I haven't been told of anything else unusual.