Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 9:45 am

Aimless wrote:
Does anybody else have visual memory like this? I'm just curious about stuff like this.

I described my experiences with it in another thread: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt72238.html

Aimless wrote:
While I'm at it another thing I'm curious about; when a song plays in your head, do you hear it literally

Yes, from time to time I like to entertain myself by „turning the music on” in my head. It happens when I want to “listen” to my favorite songs.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 10:15 am

Aimless wrote:
When I hear a certain song, I have a brief snapshot visual memory of a door in a convenience store. When I think about Renoir, I see a barn on a back country road. I know the association. The song was playing in the store while I was pushing the door to leave and my mother and I were driving and were talking about Renoir right as we passed the barn. These two of many examples have been imprinted in my memory for years and years. I can't think of anything about the circumstances that would imprint the memory so strongly at exactly that moment. Also, when I say "see" I mean in my mind's eye- not a close my eyes and see it like a picture image. Does anybody else have visual memory like this? I'm just curious about stuff like this.
While I'm at it another thing I'm curious about; when a song plays in your head, do you hear it literally; do you hear your own voice singing the tune, or do you "hear" it but not hear it like a tape you can stop or start but is the actual song?

I experience this so long as it's not a song that I've heard many times over many years. If it's a popular song played everywhere often, there is a dilution effect and it is not linked to any memory. For instance, I've heard and sung "Happy Birthday" at countless birthday parties so it isn't linked to any particular birthday memory. But "Sun Goddess" by Ramsey Lewis only played on the radio sporadically for a few months in the early 70's so I remember quite clearly that I was visitng a friend and we were playing in her sun room when it came on the radio. (I only know it's name because I flashed back to this memory after buying a jazz compilation album and discovering quite by accident that this song was on the album.)

I hear the songs like tapes that I can start and stop (or like mp3 files, for you youngsters).

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 10:45 am

Janissy wrote

Quote:
Aimless wrote:
When I hear a certain song, I have a brief snapshot visual memory of a door in a convenience store. When I think about Renoir, I see a barn on a back country road. I know the association. The song was playing in the store while I was pushing the door to leave and my mother and I were driving and were talking about Renoir right as we passed the barn. These two of many examples have been imprinted in my memory for years and years. I can't think of anything about the circumstances that would imprint the memory so strongly at exactly that moment. Also, when I say "see" I mean in my mind's eye- not a close my eyes and see it like a picture image. Does anybody else have visual memory like this? I'm just curious about stuff like this.
While I'm at it another thing I'm curious about; when a song plays in your head, do you hear it literally; do you hear your own voice singing the tune, or do you "hear" it but not hear it like a tape you can stop or start but is the actual song?

I experience this so long as it's not a song that I've heard many times over many years. If it's a popular song played everywhere often, there is a dilution effect and it is not linked to any memory. For instance, I've heard and sung "Happy Birthday" at countless birthday parties so it isn't linked to any particular birthday memory. But "Sun Goddess" by Ramsey Lewis only played on the radio sporadically for a few months in the early 70's so I remember quite clearly that I was visitng a friend and we were playing in her sun room when it came on the radio. (I only know it's name because I flashed back to this memory after buying a jazz compilation album and discovering quite by accident that this song was on the album.)

I hear the songs like tapes that I can start and stop (or like mp3 files, for you youngsters).

That would be true for me in the song/visual snapshot instance.In the barn/Renoir, I don't pass by this barn often but if I do I think of Renoir. I guess I have a bunch of memory triggers that don't seem to be associated with the memories they trigger.

The one thing I'm still not clear about is the music in your head. When I "hear" a song in my head it is the original artist and I can start and stop it and I don't have to think about the next note or the next lyric but it is not "out loud". Is your music out loud ( but in your head?)

It's easy to misunderstand. I was speaking to someone about talking to oneself and she said she did it all the time, then after going on about it for a while she said at least she didn't do it out loud, so what she was describing was just the internal dialogue that every one has.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 11:17 am

Memoires are made of visual and aural stuff topic

It is nice when you get a good one running through your head. It does get dysfunctional when a stupid commercial replays over and over, or a disturbing image is right in front of your eyes and remains there for a while. i get these two types of "thoughts" now and then, and I have to write about them in order to purge them from my memory. The alternative is to experience the loop over and over until said thought dissipates or dissolves/evaporates. Of course I am not conscious of when this happens. :roll:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2009, 11:28 am

I had a freaky experience as a child when I was 9. I closed my eyes to go to sleep and saw a very clear image of a face with a wide open mouth. I yelled and my mother came and comforted me but when I closed my eyes again it was still there. I was practically hysterical, it freaked me out so bad. As it happens my father was in another town at my grandfather's deathbed. When he came back my mother described what I had experienced and he said that he had turned around to leave right at that time of night (as visiting hours were over) and saw his father in the oxygen tent(loooong time ago) and that image is what he saw. My grandfather gasping for breath. Sadly, my grandfather died a half an hour after he left.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 3:33 pm

emptyenvelope wrote:
That is the truth! I used to write a lot, but I think faster than I can type or write. I have written many lovely poems that have never and will never come out. They leave as fast as they come. I think the visual stuff stays a bit longer, but I have a limited time frame.

I wish that I could draw. I would have many very wild images to work with, but I am lousy at reproducing mental image on paper. Maybe I should attempt to take lessons.

I experience something that I call "word flows", where words play in my mind in much the same way that music plays. It seems to just flow from who knows where, but it won't stay in my head long enough to write it down. I have wondered about getting one of those portable recording devices that are the size of a cell phone so I can speak the words as the come to me, but of course I somehow never get around to getting one.

I also have that auditory/visual connection in memories too. When I hear music, my brain brings to mind the entire environment that existed when I first heard it. I experience something similar this with things I have read, except what is more likely to flash in my mind is not the environment that was present when I first read it, but instead I will experience the environment that was existing when I reprocessed it.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 4:20 pm

One of the things they teach you in art school is how to draw what you see. That sounds simple but in truth people start drawing their idea of the subject rather than that line there and that shadow here. If you asked most people to draw a cat they would draw a circle and put two triangles on top etc. On exercise is to draw something without looking at the paper and without lifting the pencil from the paper. This helps coordinate your hand/eye connection. I was always irritated when people dismissed a drawing if the artist looked at the subject as opposed to coming up with something completely out of their heads. Drawing is hard either way.
Willmark what you say about words I experience with images. Often they are like these constantly shifting Kandinsky like objects but they always move away or morph into something else too fast. I would like to be able to form and hold an image in my mind.
I had asked earlier in the thread about hearing music in your head and was never sure if people were saying they could hear the music "out loud". I can reproduce the music and start and stop it but I don't "hear" it physically. Today though I had been listening to some music on my MP3 and afterwards felt like I could "hear" a faint echo of the song-sort of like hearing things in white noise or seeing shapes in shadows but occasionally it seemed like it sounded faint but pretty distinct.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:21 pm

I associate music with things. Unfortunately I don't get clear movie images in my head, or moving scenes. I wish I did. :( I see only snapshots of a moment frozen in time. Even without music association, none of my memories are movies. They are all still shots. I can however remember some things that were said in those moments, its just not animated.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

30 Jul 2009, 5:32 pm

I associate things together sometimes too! I have a very visual memory and can replay scenes from the past vividly in my head.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 8:20 am

Aimless wrote:
I had asked earlier in the thread about hearing music in your head and was never sure if people were saying they could hear the music "out loud". I can reproduce the music and start and stop it but I don't "hear" it physically. Today though I had been listening to some music on my MP3 and afterwards felt like I could "hear" a faint echo of the song-sort of like hearing things in white noise or seeing shapes in shadows but occasionally it seemed like it sounded faint but pretty distinct.

When I hear something, sure I experience it in my head though I know it's coming through my ears. It's my ears that are hurting when the decibel is too high, not the inside of my head. I can perceive when the sound is external or internal usually, but I experience the sound in the same place. Regardless of whether the sound is coming from memory, or if it's coming from external sources, either way I experience it the same way, in my head. So I guess the answer is yes... and no. I can tell its not from an external source, and it's not quite as rich as the sound from an external source, but almost, but in my mind it's almost as if it were coming from outside. I honestly expect that your experience is very similar to mine except you seem to have better control of yours. Stopping things that are playing in my head is sometimes a bit more involved. I sometimes have to consciously play other things on top of what is playing until it fades out.

I have recently discovered that when I hear another person's voice in my head, usually but not always, at times when I am half awake/half asleep, that often I am actually hearing the other person who at the time was speaking to me as if I was in the room with them. I have discovered that what I am hearing is the sound of their own voice the way it sounds to them from inside their own head. Its interesting. When I accidentally send my voice to another person, I feel their surprise from hearing my voice inside their head, and when they send to me, they feel my surprise.

You're broaching a very interesting subject here.

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 8:28 am

I occasionally get seemingly unrelated visual images with certain sounds or words, too. I don't even know where this association comes from or whether I actually ever saw this visual image (I am blind but used to have some vision).

As for the songs thing, I mostly just hear them literally.

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:20 am

ChangelingGirl wrote:
I occasionally get seemingly unrelated visual images with certain sounds or words, too. I don't even know where this association comes from or whether I actually ever saw this visual image (I am blind but used to have some vision).

Wow. Is there anything other than scenes or people around you in the Netherlands that you wish you could see? (See my first entry on the "Telepathy" thread for an explanation of my question.)

Last edited by willmark on 31 Jul 2009, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flutezrule
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2009, 2:47 pm

Aimless wrote:

I do that sometimes. Whenever I hear the song 'Fly Away' by Lenny Kravtiz, I remember when I was around 5 (maybe 4 or 3) and it was a Halloween night (I can't remember if I had gone trick or treating yet though). I remember I was jumping up and down on a mattress while that song was playing and I was imagining I could fly.

Also, certain songs remind me of food. I have this mixed CD and the first 3 songs are 'Boogie Woo' by ICP, 'Down With the Sickness' by Disturbed, and 'Amish Paradise' by Weird Al. I used to listen to that CD all the time in the 7th grade (those 3 songs especially) in the morning while I got ready for school. I used to eat oatmeal a lot, so when I hear those songs, I'll think about oatmeal a lot of times.

When I get a song stuck in my head, I usually don't really hear them, but sometimes I've had songs playing so strongly in my head before, that I've actually had to stop and listen to see if it really was playing somewhere or not. And usually I hear it in my head the way it normally sounds, but I usually only get parts and pieces of a song stuck in my head (usually the chorus).

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2009, 3:09 pm

Aimless wrote:

yeah i get that weird associations like that. Not sure if this is exactly the same thing but i think i use it to study for exams where i need to remember things by heart . Like i will remember that someone passed in front of me while i was reading a part or that i spilled water when reading another part. And then during the exam i will see the questions and think: "thats the part where i spilled water all over my notes" and it will all come back to me. not sure this makes any sense or answers your question in anyway