Aussies Unite - A forum for any Aussie Aspies

Page 39 of 44 [ 703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 44  Next

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Mar 2018, 9:05 pm

I'd like to post an update in case anyone was wondering.

It was great seeing Alison and Jozie at the meet a couple of weeks ago. Kiama is certainly a nice place to be. Hopefully we can get some more South Coast meetups happening again in the near future.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm

I'm gonna be in rAdelaide in a couple of weeks. If anyone feels like arranging to meet up to chat about the city and the best/worst areas to live, etc., that could be cool. I'm considering a move from rural Vic.

Is there an AA group there? (Adelaide Aspies, of course!)

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2018, 6:48 pm

liminal wrote:
It was great seeing Alison and Jozie at the meet a couple of weeks ago. Kiama is certainly a nice place to be. Hopefully we can get some more South Coast meetups happening again in the near future.

Thanks. Nice to meet you to Sir. Agree about more meetings down here.

Alison

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

agwhanooo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2018, 2:43 pm

I'm not actually in Aus, so I apologize if I'm infringing on your thread. Feel free to flag this reply if you like.

I was wondering whether anyone is in Brisbane or Perth? I'm hoping to be visiting those places within a year, staying about a month in each, with a view to eventually relocating there permanently. I would really love to make some friends before I visit.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 2:09 am

You picked two of the most insular narrow minded places in Australia...I'd just pass through Perth or Brisbane as you will be bored sh**less. In terms of living - stick to more cosmopolitan places like Melbourne or Sydney

alisoncc
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2018, 3:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
You picked two of the most insular narrow minded places in Australia...I'd just pass through Perth or Brisbane as you will be bored sh**less. In terms of living - stick to more cosmopolitan places like Melbourne or Sydney

+1

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

chortler
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Mar 2018, 3:46 am

I'm in Brisbane, it's fine. Tony Attwood has his clinic here so it can't be that bad for aspies. Brisbane's climate is nicer than Sydney and Melbourne, much warmer :).

There is a Brisbane meetup for adults with Asperger's Syndrome, search meetup.com for it.

agwhanooo

22 Mar 2018, 8:02 am

alisoncc wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

+1

Hey, I'm here to try and make friends, guys. We on the spectrum get enough judgement from the neurotypical/allistic world as it is, so c'mon.

I didn't pick those places; I have relatives there. I'd love to visit Melbourne or Sydney but my finances don't extend that far.

agwhanooo

22 Mar 2018, 8:03 am

chortler wrote:
I'm in Brisbane, it's fine. Tony Attwood has his clinic here so it can't be that bad for aspies. Brisbane's climate is nicer than Sydney and Melbourne, much warmer :).

There is a Brisbane meetup for adults with Asperger's Syndrome, search meetup.com for it.

Thanks! I'll be in touch :D

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2018, 8:25 am

I have family in Brisbane. It's quite hot and humid, but definitely way more affordable than Sydney or Melbourne! I also have family in Perth, it's really pretty and everything is very accessible. I think all of Australia's cities have things to offer. I actually prefer the smaller cities. It's so snobby to suggest the value of a city is so black and white! Different strokes for different folks!

And btw those pics made me laugh in the other thread. I've def seen some spider clusters like that, but Australia is not really as overrun by dangerous creatures as we like to pretend!

I myself live in northern NSW. It's temperate and pleasant.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

agwhanooo

22 Mar 2018, 5:48 pm

plokijuh wrote:
I have family in Brisbane. It's quite hot and humid, but definitely way more affordable than Sydney or Melbourne! I also have family in Perth, it's really pretty and everything is very accessible. I think all of Australia's cities have things to offer. I actually prefer the smaller cities. It's so snobby to suggest the value of a city is so black and white! Different strokes for different folks!

And btw those pics made me laugh in the other thread. I've def seen some spider clusters like that, but Australia is not really as overrun by dangerous creatures as we like to pretend!

I myself live in northern NSW. It's temperate and pleasant.

You again :lol: :wink:

Not so sure about the lack of dangerous creatures. The mullet epidemic is getting pretty serious (so say my rellies). :mrgreen: What, mullets aren't alive? Fake news, I tell you. They're trying to keep that a secret to prevent global panic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 12:59 am

plokijuh wrote:

Fair enough...however, I have lived in both places (Brisbane and Perth) and its a little ambitious calling them cities as they are like oversized coutry towns with the same type of mentality

As you say...each to their own...

Jay02
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2018, 12:25 am

From perth. Hi.

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2018, 2:18 am

alisoncc wrote:
Melbourne Age headline "Woman shot at Hungry Jack's had Asperger's syndrome".

I don't see the relevance of her having Asperger's. Hopefully none of those here go around waving kitchen knives at the police. As for the police shooting her, I shake my head in disgust. The one who did it must have felt very brave taking on a 22 year old girl with his gun.

Classy stuff Age. Real classy. :roll:
So when an aspie who apparently waves kitchen knives gets shot, people are made to know about it.
But when it comes to acknowledging it for NDIS and housing help, you are all out on your own.
Great country we live in here. 8) :roll:

NotSayingMyName
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2018, 2:20 am

oceanrollercoaster wrote:
ItsPeter wrote:
Hi all.
Sydney here!
22 yo and diagnosed with Aspergers last year.
I'm looking for services that could provide social skills training, making friends...does anyone know a professional that provides this? That's at least not costly?

Hi! I go to an adult social group in Sydney run by Aspect. It's not a 'service' as such, but does provide the opportunity to practice social skills and make friends if that's something you want to do there. I mainly go for solidarity :) .

Aspect? The new employment service?
Would you know where else that is ran in Australia?
Do you have links to this Aspect?
And if they are organizing meetups, great (but it won't happen until after I leave where I am from).

Straker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Nov 2020, 8:13 pm

I'm in the outer suburbs of Antarctica ( Tasmania!)