Anyone here work with AS/Autistic people

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 4:53 pm

Will have to get a job eventually, and I can't really think of any better to work with. Just as I need help with my life due to AS, I'd be happy trying to help someone with similar difficulties. Anyone else here who is on the spectrum have experience with this?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2009, 9:21 pm

I'm going to do co-op this year working with autistics. The exact location will be confirmed in September. I haven't had much experience specifically working with them (as a job), but I'll subscribe to this thread and tell you how it goes.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Caterina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jul 2009, 10:36 pm

For the past year, I've worked as a respite care provider for kids and teens on the spectrum. A respite provider is kind of like a babysitter, except that I have more responsibilities (for example, one of the children I babysit for has a feeding tube in her stomach, and I have learned how to replace it in case she takes it out).

I also teach a method of sensory-motor education called the Alexander Technique, and I have found that it is very good for helping kids with sensory integration issues.

Since I have Asperger's, I find that I am able to connect and communicate with the kids I work with better than the neurotypicals who also work with them, especially the kids who are nonverbal.

I am now getting my master's in occupational therapy so I can work with people on the spectrum in a more official capacity.

~ Caterina

~ Eleanor, from Starmites

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 2:06 pm

I don't, but I know several autistics who do. I am interested in working with others with autism/AS, too, but not sure I would be capable of it.