Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

24 Jul 2009, 6:06 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I dunno.. it's just like.. I'll try.. and then after I've been cleaning for awhile.. nothing is actually cleaner.

That's exactly what it's like when I try to tidy a room.
My bedroom for example is very hard for me to clean because I have too many things and never know where to put them. Instead of making things tidier, I end up splitting one messy pile into two or just making the original pile of mess even bigger. It's like I just move the mess around rather than get rid of it. It's really frustrating. It's like everytime I have to tidy my room my brain just shuts down and forgets how to be organized.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2009, 11:35 pm

Yes. I'm always wondered why it is that with certain things like organizing things into a pattern i'm very organized.. But with pretty much every practical thing in life, i'm a slob. I just can't think of what i should do with most things, so they end up staying where they are(on the floor or whatever). It's funny.. Since i like things being symmetrical and organizing particular objects, people assume that that means i'm really organized and must be the kind of person who has some kind of system for where everything in my house go. But, that couldn't be further from the truth. With so many things, it's like aspects of my personality directly contradict themselves. That's why i think i get confused over questions of personality tests. Because, depending on what exactly they mean, it could be either one extreme or the other. Putting something into a visually pleasing pattern is much different from applying organization skills to something practical.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 1:31 pm

8O I know! I'm really fixated on things being clean, but I have a clutter problem.

I've been trying to address my problems with cleaning and tidying... well, I'm a bit better... but it's turned into an obsession. OOps

AnnaLemma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2009, 5:37 pm

I'm rather bi-polar when it comes to organization. Sometimes I am very laid back and let the clutter accumulate, putting off cleaning "until I have enough time to do it right." Then it's like a switch will flip and I am hyper-organized. I'll begin with a cleaning campaign scheduled down to the amount of time each phase will take. After a couple of days the house is tidy and sanitized to a degree that stuns my cats and confuses my husband (or vice versa). For a few weeks I will obsess about any deviation from the order, then gradually slip back into sanity and disorder. A few weeks after that, the cycle will begin again. The only good part about this is that I rarely go long enough for serious clutter to build up. I have been this way since I was a child.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 5:17 am

Specifically cleaning (i.e. making things clean) is one of my few talents, having spent many years employed doing so. But tidying (i.e. moving things so they are not 'out of place') is something I very difficult at times. Motivation is difficult but can be overcome if I schedule it since I don't like breaking any schedule I create. The best approach is determine what parts of your house/room have to be tidy and which specific areas don't (cupboards, under bed, behind things). Try your absolute best to tidy those that need to be and take anything you can't find places for and shove it in the areas that do not have to be tidy.

spooky13
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2009, 12:11 pm

I've always had some clutter, and I tend to procrastinate. ( Why do it today if I can put if off till tommorrow?) :mrgreen: For example, I'm sitting here at this moment in a damp shirt because I decided to do all the dishes. It's only been almost a week. 8O

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jul 2009, 12:59 pm

AnnaLemma wrote:
I'm rather bi-polar when it comes to organization. Sometimes I am very laid back and let the clutter accumulate, putting off cleaning "until I have enough time to do it right." Then it's like a switch will flip and I am hyper-organized. I'll begin with a cleaning campaign scheduled down to the amount of time each phase will take. After a couple of days the house is tidy and sanitized to a degree that stuns my cats and confuses my husband (or vice versa). For a few weeks I will obsess about any deviation from the order, then gradually slip back into sanity and disorder. A few weeks after that, the cycle will begin again. The only good part about this is that I rarely go long enough for serious clutter to build up. I have been this way since I was a child.

This sounds so much like me :D and I've also been this way since childhood.

Except my cleaning fits never last more than a few hours. And instead of time schedules I assign myself specific parts of a room or a desk or a bookshelf that I'm going to focus on. Entire spaces are never completed at one time. After the mood passes, I lapse back into my usual housework oblivion where housework doesn't even occur to me and it's the last thing I'd want to do.

emptyenvelope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2009, 5:37 am

I am like this as well. It's very frustrating. I also have two kids and I cannot keep track of all that they bring in either.

A long time ago,Flylady helped me quite a bit (before I had the second child). I am trying to get back in the pattern with her, but it is taking awhile. I think she should be highly recommended to people on the spectrum. She talks about 'baby steps' and not immediately changing over night to. There are lists for all kinds of cleaning, you spend a week at a time in each room.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 9:29 am

My mom does the flylady thing! lol

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2009, 1:04 pm

I made a notebook for FLY Lady, and then I promptly mislaid it! Epic Fail.

emptyenvelope
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2009, 2:00 pm

Morbid Miss, that sounds like me too! I find I can usually do a thing well once, or the first time I do it (with things like recipes) but then if I try it again, it is much much harder. :P

My kids are getting old enough that they will do most anything for extra money, so I am getting them to help more with the clutter.

MorbidMiss
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jul 2009, 3:19 pm

LOL

With cooking I only have to read the recipe once and I can usually make it again until I'm bored and do not make it for a while. But I LOVE to cook, and I HATE to clean.

Sallamandrina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jul 2009, 4:19 pm

I used to have huge problems with that - my house was either a complete mess or spotless - once in a blue moon. It took me years to come up with a system that worked for me.

First I established a place for every object in the house. I got a bit compulsive about it and I'd rather be the only one that makes changes (my husband doesn't care one way or the other, so that's fine). This took a while, but also had the advantage that I stopped looking for my keys or whatever for hours, just because I couldn't remember where I left them.

Strict routines took care of the rest - I do the same things in the same order and the same way, so it became mechanical - I don't have to think about it and it takes less time. I wash the pots and pans while cooking and the dishes right after I eat - otherwise they will probably just rot. :lol: I love to cook and a dirty kitchen turns me off.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 4:27 pm

If I can systemize it, I can be very good at cleaning. If I can't, then I'm terrible.

Sallamandrina
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Jul 2009, 4:32 pm

Same here - if for any reason I skip a "session" or have to change my routine it can be very hard to get back to it - that's why I hate moving.