Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jackdumpster
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jul 2009, 1:02 am

JPmoney wrote:
jackdumpster wrote:
I've lived in rural/small suburban area all my life. :?

And you turned out to be like your avatar? :lol: Just kidding.

Can't sit there like a god damn vegetable.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:09 am

I live in a small city it's not anything like the country but it's not huge neither. living in a small rural area I can imagine it can be tough because everybody know each other and have to greet each other were as in a city everybody is mostly strangers.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 1:55 am

If the people in small towns bother you, just don't interact with them.

If you have an ASD, it's not like you're going to interact with many people anyway.

XGM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2009, 6:11 pm

That would be a different answer for different people. It would depend more on the local culture than the size of the city. I've lived in several different cities, and I'm currently in New York. New York seems to be the best fit for my personality. My experience with New York is that if you don't bother anybody, they won't bother you. New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude, but I've never encountered a person in New York that was rude to me just for the sake of being rude.

Other cities I've lived in or near were Denver, LA, Daytona Beach, and Jacksonville, FL. I didn't really like LA, Denver was OK, I somewhat liked Daytona Beach, but Jacksonville, FL is a hellhole. I'll say this about Jacksonville, if you don't like the way guests behave on the "Jerry Springer Show", Jacksonville isn't your town. When I was there, there was always somebody getting in my face.

Move around until you find a place you like.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 6:32 pm

I lived in Seattle for a while. It was great because everything was close, (EVERYTHING) but it did become a bit boring after a while because there is no space that is not regulated and nowhere to go that is private, so it was like living in a big school or something. I'm used to living in the forest, you see. But there are definitely benefits to living in a big city as long as you pick one with a personality that you like, and it does make a lot of things very easy.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2009, 7:00 pm

sbcmetroguy wrote:
But I live in a medium-sized city, have lived here my entire life, and I will say it's very much a place full of bible thumpers and rednecks, and most people are extemely judgemental and "in your face" about it.

Some medium-sized cities are that way. IIRC Dallas is that way. Compare to say, Houston. Also try going to Baton Rouge or New Orleans. Maybe that is better