Do you?
Yes 47%  47%  [ 18 ]
No 53%  53%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 38

Demonira
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Jul 2009, 1:05 am

I'm kind of interested to see the results.

I do! :D

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2009, 1:33 am

that's the kind of thing that backfires, never tried it

Zand
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2009, 1:40 am

I think what ticks me off the worst is seeing people tell others its OK to do. One day I herd a clerk at a store bragging about all the software he pirated while there was a cop next to me. Kinda surprises me that the cop was supportive.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 1:48 am

No, I happen to believe that theft is wrong.

kip
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 3:13 am

I don't pirate software. To many opensource versions that are often better than the pirated ones. Though I will admit to song and movie downloads back in the day.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 8:40 am

I choose honesty because I don't feel lucky.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 8:59 am

Yep.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 9:10 am

I use to pirate a lot, because it's sadly the best way to listen to non-mainstream music. Back when i was downloading music, i'd end up buying the very best of what i had downloaded, usually buying a cd or two a week. However they've made it more and more inconvenient to hear the new music nowadays, so i don't buy any music at all.

QuantumCowboy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 10:49 am

No, I don't pirate software. Virtually all of the software I use is FOSS.

supahneko
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 11:57 am

I pirate software and if I like it I buy it. Currently I have no pirated software on my computer.

TOGGI3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2009, 3:04 pm

I do not pirate software because I believe that if something is so good taht its worth using its worth using legally. What I mean to say is, nothing is so good yet so expensive that I would resort to stealing it. If its worth the money I will pay for it, if not I will find a free alternative and will not give them the satisfaction of believing if only they could stop those darn pirates they would buy their software.

Not using the software you refuse to purchase I believe sends a much stronger message.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 6:20 pm

There's so many companies giving it away, that I really don't need to...;)

Back in the day, yeah, but that's decades ago...;)

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 9:20 pm

If you want something, if you need something, you will buy it.

Case in point. I would find photoshop greatly useful. Would I buy it? No, because I dont care for the price. You know how programmers say "thats not a bug, its a feature?" well, a marketer would say that photoshops price is a feature.

Its more feature than I want.

One way or another, I would pay that feature. Either the price or the consequence of stealing it, be it criminal charges, or the massive inconvenience of viruses and key gens.

Its 900 bucks, right? Thats less than 3 dollars a day over a year. Could I use the GIMP for a less than year until I saved that up(if I needed to)? Yes. In many cases I could buy it in a month or less.

And thats about the most expensive software package.

To say "its too expensive, I'll steal it" is a cop out. Its pathetic.

60 dollar game? One dollar a day for 60 days. Or even three dollars a day for 20 days. Do without your 5 dollars worth of Starbucks or Tim Hortons coffee for one measly week and you can buy your game.

Do you have such little will power? Thats why you are a software pirate.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 9:48 pm

Quote:

You're only looking at one particular group of people and one particular aspect. I myself want to know if something is worth buying before i buy it, and this cannot be done unless i have said product in front of me. Infact, nearly every song, every computer game, etc that i own, i had for FREE before i purchased them. It has absolutely nothing to do with will power, or the price.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2009, 10:31 pm

Michjo wrote:
Quote:

You're only looking at one particular group of people and one particular aspect. I myself want to know if something is worth buying before i buy it, and this cannot be done unless i have said product in front of me. Infact, nearly every song, every computer game, etc that i own, i had for FREE before i purchased them. It has absolutely nothing to do with will power, or the price.

Agreed, Its different in your case.

idle
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

software piracy is theft which does the software developer and paying users a disservice.
If some software provides utility it's worth paying for, even if it doesn't provide everything you want, If you use it and get utility from it, you should pay for it. Software after all doesn't write itself, it's clearly cost someone a lot of time and effort to develop it, even if it's offered for Free.