Eternal recurrence and the morality of fierce competition

Page 4 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:42 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Since it has been determined that it is expanding, how can an infinite universe expand?

Expand from a plane to three dimensions. Infinite to infinite.

ruveyn

x^3*y^3*z^3

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 7:08 pm

Sand wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
twoshots wrote:
I'll bite: Why can't an infinite universe have a beginning?

It can if it came into existence from nothing. This way a universe that is spatially infinite can exist with a finite past.

ruveyn

Since it has been determined that it is expanding, how can an infinite universe expand?

>>>Metric expansion.<<< It's a manifold thing. In the concisest terms possible: everything gets further away from everything else.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 8:24 pm

twoshots wrote:
>>>Metric expansion.<<< It's a manifold thing. In the concisest terms possible: everything gets further away from everything else.

Which is why a infinite universe in expansion is possible.

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Are dark forces directly related to mass? Because if mass constantly increases, then a crunching will occur. The issue in this case being where the crunching may occur, in an infinite universe, I would imagine that this will result in multiple local crunchings.

You misunderstood my post. You were saying:
Awesomelyglorious wrote:
At least, if we aren't assuming that our infinite universe is infinitely growing, however, the issue then is that this assumption would have to assume that *large* amounts of matter are emerging unnoticed.

So I assume that you had playing with the idea of a "eternal universe", which was the idea the astronoms got of the universe before the big-bang theory take over. For such a idea to work they had to assume such a creation of matters, what I give is likely to be the results of their calculations.

By the way, do you missed the link of my precedent post? :huh:

MikeH106
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 7:47 pm

I feel like I'm King Arthur listening to a discussion about swallows and coconuts. :roll: Not that that's a bad thing right now. I hope you enjoy your discussion.

But the concept I'm talking about is eternal life through another universe's birth. If the universe is born over and over, how much sense would it make to say that we would be stuck being ourselves for the rest of eternity? Surely we don't want that to happen. This terrifying version of 'Asperger's Syndrome' in which we might never grasp the importance of others' consciousness seems too awful to be true.

Like a drop of blood in a tank of flesh-eating piranhas, a new idea never fails to arouse the wrath of herd prejudice.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 7:53 pm

There are some speculative delusions not worth exploring. What constitutes a life is the memories it accumulates and what influences its character. To be reborn without those very essential memory experiences means the rebirth actually has not occurred.