Post a random truth (about yourself)

Page 1083 of 1198 [ 19161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1080, 1081, 1082, 1083, 1084, 1085, 1086 ... 1198  Next

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 8:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I'm terrible at being a good friend. Somehow something always goes wrong, and usually contact just suddenly stops with no explanation, but it must be something I do because I'm the one unifying factor in all these incidents.

I've reached the point where I don't want to inflict myself upon others as a friend. All I do is take, and what do I have to give back?

If you don't become highly invested it's common for friendships to run out of steam over time. If neither party is highly invested both will start to divest over time. It's not what you do, it's what you (and the other party) don't do - which is to keep making an effort to be friends.

I doubt your friendship is something to be inflicted.

The thing is, we're usually very good friends right up to that point, not like one or both of us just doesn't care enough anymore to bother making the investment. Most of the friends I've had since college are people I met online, who I never actually got to meet in person, so we don't go do things together, but we'll have in-depth, heartfelt, or light and fun text conversations, that seem to me just like the in-person conversations one would have with a very close friend who lived nearby, right up to the point where contact is lost. Unless I miss hints or something, they don't seem like friendships that slowly fade, more like ones that are abruptly cut off.

I'm just too much of a mess to make people deal with. My social anxiety makes me too afraid to initiate things. My memory issues make me forget important things. My reclusiveness means I don't seek human interaction even with friends near as often as most people need to maintain a friendship. My depression makes me on-and-off suicidal, which makes people worry about me. My autism makes me misinterpret things and miss subtle hints. And probably plenty more. I fully admit that I am a lot to put up with - I don't know that I would want to be friends with me :lol:

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 9:47 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
I'm terrible at being a good friend. Somehow something always goes wrong, and usually contact just suddenly stops with no explanation, but it must be something I do because I'm the one unifying factor in all these incidents.

I've reached the point where I don't want to inflict myself upon others as a friend. All I do is take, and what do I have to give back?

If you don't become highly invested it's common for friendships to run out of steam over time. If neither party is highly invested both will start to divest over time. It's not what you do, it's what you (and the other party) don't do - which is to keep making an effort to be friends.

The thing is, we're usually very good friends right up to that point, not like one or both of us just doesn't care enough anymore to bother making the investment. Most of the friends I've had since college are people I met online, who I never actually got to meet in person, so we don't go do things together, but we'll have in-depth, heartfelt, or light and fun text conversations, that seem to me just like the in-person conversations one would have with a very close friend who lived nearby, right up to the point where contact is lost. Unless I miss hints or something, they don't seem like friendships that slowly fade, more like ones that are abruptly cut off.

I'm just too much of a mess to make people deal with. My social anxiety makes me too afraid to initiate things. My memory issues make me forget important things. My reclusiveness means I don't seek human interaction even with friends near as often as most people need to maintain a friendship. My depression makes me on-and-off suicidal, which makes people worry about me. My autism makes me misinterpret things and miss subtle hints. And probably plenty more. I fully admit that I am a lot to put up with - I don't know that I would want to be friends with me :lol:

We're friends and I don't find you a mess to deal with. You haven't inflicted anything upon me cause trust me, if you did I wouldn't be around to stay for long. Many of the things you mention that you struggle with as far as friendship goes, I do as well. We both missed cues in our friendship, misinterpreted things, I'm pretty reclusive myself(maybe not to the same degree but still.) I do worry about you when the suicidal thoughts happen but, that is something I WANT to worry about cause I care. The social anxiety part, while I will admit does make me insecure at times I am coming to terms with it and learning to adapt to it. Also you can't blame yourself for the memory loss as it wasn't even your fault(and I don't hold you accountable for it.)

You seem to be in a panic but know this, patience. I will give you the patience and time to adapt and learn more about friendship and hopefully help you feel that you are a better friend to people and yourself(if that's what you want of course). The only thing I ask of you is that you give me the same. :)

Also you give me your unconditional love(platonic) and your way of not being judgemental.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 10:27 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Some of those traits you list seem likely to both lead to being careful with emotional investment as well as prone to backing away anxiously over potential missteps, which the other party might fail to understand and instead attribute to some other motive. If they're also anxious you'll both become distant over fear that something has gone wrong instead of confronting the issue, communicating and moving on.

I'd be friends with you, at least if you were willing and supposing we're not already.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 1:24 pm

When I was 19 I was in the passenger side of a friend's car while he was racing another friend of ours around a curvy road. My friend lost control and we spun out into someones yard. When we came to a stop I had a very bad feeling of impending doom and I told my friend he was going to have another accident. Later that night (Morning) after my night shift stocking job had ended, I had a very bad feeling when I got on my motorcycle as I put my helmet on. I drove to the emergency room of a local hospital and found my friends step dad waiting there and found out my friend had fallen asleep while driving to his late shift job and had crashed into a power pole. Amazingly, he was not seriously injured, though his car was totaled. That is the weirdest coincidence that has ever happened to me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 1:57 pm

Wow -- I'm glad your friend was OK after those accidents! ^

When I was an adolescent my mother used to terrify me by saying she had "embarrassing, secret photos" of me which she would spread around school if I did anything wrong. I have no idea what the photos were but you can imagine how unsettled and paranoid it made me feel. I used to think she had secret cameras watching me all the time.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 2:18 pm

^That was pretty awful of her. Me and my brother got the belt.

P.S. I apologize for my poor grammar.

My two worst subjects in school were English and Math. I was an awful student in general.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 3:30 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:

That's exactly how i talk to myself about friendship... I don't think u need to worry about take... Ppl need a presence n someone to care that's all... U dont need to do anything beyond that n it's natural

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 7:43 pm

I guess what I really feel is that friendships involve a healthy balance of give and take, and it feels like I do too much taking and not enough giving, but I don't really know how to change that.

funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

Some of those traits you list seem likely to both lead to being careful with emotional investment as well as prone to backing away anxiously over potential missteps, which the other party might fail to understand and instead attribute to some other motive. If they're also anxious you'll both become distant over fear that something has gone wrong instead of confronting the issue, communicating and moving on.

I'd be friends with you, at least if you were willing and supposing we're not already.

You're right, that is something to watch out for.

If you're sure you want to, then sure, we can be friends :)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2020, 8:58 pm

I'm too much 'give' in real life friendships and I never resented my actual friends for it except when it was obvious that someone didn't care then obviously it was all for nothing or being used etc.

That only happened 1 time as far aa I remember and I only realized it recently after 9 years of knowing the person.

My meaning is it's natural there will be an imbalance seemingly depending on a persons personality... But as long as u both care and u make sure to check up on them n ask about them n think about them.. Reciprocate what u are grateful to receive in that aspect
.. There's no need ti feel guilty or feel like someone's keeping score..

Ur mind is being unreasonable bcuz socializing naturally makes us uneasy. So it wants a reason to stop the difficult thing

Most of us find it tough anyway. .

i know there are ppl with ASD who think it's fine to socialize, even seek it out, and I envy them or maybe they are surrounded by similar minded ppl as them...

I limit my social contact extremely... I just make sure i check in on the ppl n ask how they are n ask about their things eg. How did the exam go. Etc.

Ppl care.. If u communicate a tiny bit usually but still go out of ur way to make sure theyre ok n listen to them too..

They probably appreciate that ...

as it's out of the norm for u ... meaning they can see its 100% effort and caring ..

So even if your amount of communication is like 50% of how much they normally talk with anyone... It doesn't mean its 50% effort.. It means 100 still bcuz its just as meaningful..

Idk if that was coherent...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2020, 2:49 am

We are not disadvantaged.
We are targeted for destruction.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2020, 3:24 pm

I took karate for six years as a kid and I have a black belt. I don't remember much of it however.

My Tumblr

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2020, 4:24 pm

I have very long toe hairs.

MamaFrankie5259
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2020, 5:48 pm

I have never chewed gum in my life. I am repulsed by the smell.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:03 am

This Abenaki savage will ravage adversaries with average vocabularies. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:06 am

I'm a huge Eminem fan.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:07 am

i am planning to sculpt my future daughter in polymer clay.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.