Scandinavia, north Russia, Greenland or North Canada?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 10:00 am

If there's anyone here from any of those places, could you please let me know? I'd like to ask a few questions about attitudes to Asperger's in these areas.

Thanks in advance!

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:10 am

Northern latitudes topic

How "north" in Canada do you need, Greentea? Much of Northern Canada is not inhabited, or sparsely so. I am not sure of Asperger's amongst the Inuit peoples, and I am not aware of any Inuit members here. If anyone knows anyone, please tell us. 8)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:22 am

Hi Sue, I was just thinking of you now. I'm researching north Canada, of which I know less than nothing. But the places I mentioned in the thread title are quite sparsely inhabited, and therefore I was wondering if eccentricity was more tolerated there. What's the furthest north you've been?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:24 am

Well, Finland is between North Russia and Scandinavia. People often confuse Finland as being a part of Scandinavia. So if you meant to include Finland there, here I am.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:32 am

Whaa? Finland is not part of Scandinavia?! I can't believe it!

I researched the north of Finland this afternoon but discarded it as not inhospitable enough. What do you say? What's the furthest north you've been?

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 11:52 am

Greentea wrote:
Whaa? Finland is not part of Scandinavia?! I can't believe it!

Yes, Scandinavia is the peninsula containing most of the countries Sweden and Norway.

Quote:
I researched the north of Finland this afternoon but discarded it as not inhospitable enough. What do you say? What's the furthest north you've been?

Very north, the northmost place, namely Utsjoki.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 12:02 pm

Are there igloos, esquimos and polar bears there? And did you see Santa?

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 12:08 pm

I am from Moscow, Russia, although I moved to USA in 1994 (I was 14 back then). Most of my family (except for my mom and her mom) are still in Russia.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 12:15 pm

Greentea wrote:
Are there igloos, esquimos and polar bears there? And did you see Santa?

haha... No to all those. But lots of reindeer, so I had to drive very carefully.

This is where I have stayed there a few times: Seitala (link).

The river you can see if you follow the link, is called Teno. Norway is on the other side.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:02 pm

Greentea wrote:
Hi Sue, I was just thinking of you now. I'm researching north Canada, of which I know less than nothing. But the places I mentioned in the thread title are quite sparsely inhabited, and therefore I was wondering if eccentricity was more tolerated there. What's the furthest north you've been?

Near North topic

The most north I have been is Edmonton, Alberta. Some First Nations people are Asperger's, mostly artistic types. I live in Barrie a small city in South Central Ontario. Here, nobody really pays attention to anyone else. This is where a member called Taloola is from, but she does not post here anymore, as far as I know.

I would say any sparsely populated place is more tolerant. Have you ever watched Corner Gas or Little Mosque on the Prairie? These are Canadian shows based in small towns where eccentricity is, if not welcomed, at least tolerated. I am not aware, though, if any of the characters are portrayed as aspie. Neither of these shows was northern, as in the Tundra.

There was a show called North of 60, a drama series about life in a First nations community in northern Alberta. I did not see any intolerance towards eccentric characters.

Too bad Spudnik has not posted here of late. He might know.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:10 pm

sartresue wrote:
I would say any sparsely populated place is more tolerant. Have you ever watched Corner Gas or Little Mosque on the Prairie? These are Canadian shows based in small towns where eccentricity is, if not welcomed, at least tolerated.

Why is eccentricity more tolerated in sparcely populated places? Is it because when there are too many people around, people don't have time to be friends with everyone, so they are *LOOKING* for ways to exclude some potential friend-candidates, and eccentricity happens to be one of the many convenient ways of doing so?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:24 pm

Roman wrote:
sartresue wrote:
I would say any sparsely populated place is more tolerant. Have you ever watched Corner Gas or Little Mosque on the Prairie? These are Canadian shows based in small towns where eccentricity is, if not welcomed, at least tolerated.

Why is eccentricity more tolerated in sparcely populated places? Is it because when there are too many people around, people don't have time to be friends with everyone, so they are *LOOKING* for ways to exclude some potential friend-candidates, and eccentricity happens to be one of the many convenient ways of doing so?

Not a big deal topic

I think what happens is that the eccentric person is seen around often enough for the effect to become almost unnoticed, as in when someone gets used to an irritant over time.

Like the "village idiot". Not a great visual. :roll:

This is just my idea. It is a sort of live and let live philosophy. Of course, there are hazards to this, as in when such a person is not taken seriously or respected. "Oh, he is just an idiot. Do not mind him."

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:34 pm

sartresue wrote:
Roman wrote:
sartresue wrote:

Not a big deal topic

I think what happens is that the eccentric person is seen around often enough for the effect to become almost unnoticed, as in when someone gets used to an irritant over time.

Like the "village idiot". Not a great visual. :roll:

This is just my idea. It is a sort of live and let live philosophy. Of course, there are hazards to this, as in when such a person is not taken seriously or respected. "Oh, he is just an idiot. Do not mind him."

Well, to me being a "village idiot" is worse than being an unpleasant stranger. If I am unpleasant stranger, they are unfair towards MY BEHAVIOR, while if I am "village idiot" they are unfair towards me as a person. Also if I am unpleasant stranger, I always have an option to learn to be pleasant, and no one would ever remember that I am the same person who used to be unpleasant; if I am village idiot then no matter what I do everyone will remember whom I used to be. So based on this, I would certaily rather live in a crouded place.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:45 pm

OddFinn, it's forbidden in WP to post links that can be found offensive by other members, such as causing them an envy attack by superbly beautiful photos of places you've been to.

(I'm kidding, of course, I mean to say that's a dream-like place!) :) :)

Roman, what's the furthest north you've been?

Sue, I don't know why, I have this idea that maybe a place that's sparsely populated is more tolerant because there are fewer people to choose from... Somehow the north of Canada, with its focus on Nature rather than on people's behavior, looks to me like a boss might be more accepting of eccentricities than, say LA, Ca...?

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 1:58 pm

Greentea wrote:
OddFinn, it's forbidden in WP to post links that can be found offensive by other members, such as causing them an envy attack by superbly beautiful photos of places you've been to.

(I'm kidding, of course, I mean to say that's a dream-like place!) :) :)

Roman, what's the furthest north you've been?

Sue, I don't know why, I have this idea that maybe a place that's sparsely populated is more tolerant because there are fewer people to choose from... Somehow the north of Canada, with its focus on Nature rather than on people's behavior, looks to me like a boss might be more accepting of eccentricities than, say LA, Ca...?

It takes a village topic

Yes, this is, I think, what happens in those sitcoms.

About nature. Hmmm. :idea: Part of our identity as Canadians has to do with the land, the space, the isolation, and how this is the problem, more than the people. I mean that people are more focused on the land than the people. A strange thing, but uniquely Canadian, i think. In some CanLit, the writer will often use the landscape as one of the characters, something to be dealt with as the adversary. I have done this myself, but I am an aspie writer, so I will focus less on the people.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2009, 2:02 pm

Sue, I didn't know you were a writer! I write X-Files slash fanfic and some of the women, being Canadians, have written some beautiful fics located in north Canada, and that's where I got the idea from. Indeed, they say the things you say here. That's what got me wondering...is a society less focused on people better for Aspies?