Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

nitraine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jan 2006, 6:50 pm

Talk About Curing Autism

http://www.tacanow.com/video.htm

This is a 4 minute video with before and after pictures of children with autism.

I was shocked and amused by the way this video makes autism sound so bad.

I found this link in the "High Functioning Autistic People" Myspace group.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 7:40 pm

First off, I think it is sad that those children are used like that.

With that said, I have to question their statistics on a few notes:

1) The one where it excludes all of the other pervasive developmental disorders except autism. They are making it look like the other ones do not count and people with those disorders are not work bothering.

2) The comparison to 1970 and today and they saying that better diagnostic tools are not the reason for the increase. That is not true. In 1970, Autism was not even in the DSM let alone the other disorders. Autism would have been diagnosed only by a chance psychologist that knew about it in 1970. Today, anyone in the medical profession knows about autism. Also, in 1970, only the more profound cases would have made it to the point of diagnosis. The rest were labled with other labels because they were not seen as the classical case of austim.

3) "The child develops normally until 2 years of age, then autism hits".This may be true if the current knowledge about proliferation and pruning of neurons is true (and I tend to believe it) but there are studies that have shown videos of children before the of 2 to psychologists where the psychologist was to guess whether the child would develop austim or not and most of them were correct.

Simply put, this video is very one-sided to show only the bad side of autism. I just hope they paid for the rights to the music that accompanies the video as I doubt it is in public domain yet.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2006, 9:39 pm

My sense is that this is a fundraising thing. They're sensationalizing it in the hopes of getting as much money as they can.

I found the video to be full of half-truths, untruths, rhetoric and offensive statements. and images. Those poor kids. And I wonder how much money they paid to use that song - that can't have been cheap.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2006, 9:00 pm

Okay...IMO the before and after photos could be anyone's child on a bad picture day...

That being said, it's interesting what they were saying about California. There are some lawsuits pending regarding immunization serums potentially causing Autism...this is curious to me as my son, born in California, seemed fine until his third year immunizations and then things seem different. In fact, his "terrible 2s" where nothing compared to 3s. I know it sounds weird, but sometimes I wonder if a simple innoculation could do something like this. I'm a legal assistant, and I've worked on other cases where certain engineered foods should never make it into food consumed by humans because of how harmful they are. Interesting.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:50 pm

This is off-topic AND controversial, but I would rather have a kid on the spectrum than have a baby die of whooping cough (pertussis) or diptheria, measles or german measles. We've wiped out polio and smallpox in our country. Most childhood mmunizations are important for public health and individual health.

JsMom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2006, 11:09 pm

Oh, I agree that immunizations are essential, and I'm grateful for the technology. I was just wondering if there was a coincidence between an alleged increase in autism in California and the lawsuits.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 12:01 am

I've just watched the Video, and I was appalled by what I saw. The children look much happier and healthier in the Before pictures, than they do the After pictures. They seem to be Depressed or Angry in the After pictures.

I was also appalled by the messages that the words in the Video has conveyed. The Orginization is out to convince the Public that Autism Spectrum Disorders are fates that are worse than Death.

They also rely on Pity to get their Message acrossed. The one thing that I don't need or want, is Pity. :evil:

They send a false Message that we enjoy being objects of Charity.