Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:19 am

I mean, I know I do it because it makes me feel secure when I am stressed, but does anyone know the psychological or physiological reasoning for why this is the case?

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:21 am

For those about to rock, I salute you.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2009, 9:35 am

My view on rocking is this: I tend to do it when I am in a boring situation like a meeting, and I would rather be involved in something that interests me (I probably rock some when I am nervous, but I just don't realize it). So, I sort of absorb into my world via the rocking motion. I also enjoy the rhythm of it---very soothing. When I get nervous, I stim more by finger flapping. But I do to tend to finger flap most of the time whether I am nervous or not. But I think rocking has something to do with connecting us who are autistic into a comfort zone. I am anxious to hear other theories on this.

Last edited by glider18 on 29 Jul 2009, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 9:36 am

It's to regulate our sensory system. The same reason why we fidget, shake our legs while we sit, and wiggle our fingers. Autistic brains need different types of input than NTs to feel 'grounded'. I'd like to know how NTs sit so perfectly still, and relaxed, all sprawled out almost like a blanket on a chair. That would feel awful to me.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2009, 9:38 am

Rock on!

In my opinion, rocking is a way of dissipating excess energy. It also takes the focus away from negative thoughts, physical pain, psychic pain. It redirects the mind away from something unpleasant. It feels good. It keeps you centered in your own private space, encapsulated in your own little rock-it ship.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2009, 9:40 am

serenity wrote:
I'd like to know how NTs sit so perfectly still, and relaxed, all sprawled out almost like a blanket on a chair. That would feel awful to me.

I wonder the same thing. I always have to be doing something. In quiet atmospheres like church, I have real trouble. I do play the organ at church, but after I am finished, I usually have to leave the sanctuary because I cannot sit still comfortably.

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 10:02 am

I have wondered about this too. The size or vigour of my movements is often proportional to the amount of stress I need to work away.

I dance everywhere I go, whenever I need to wait somewhere. Until recently I did not know that this is because I am autistic. What basically happened over the years is that I had the need to stim very often, but was able to find an alternative which is fairly acceptable socially. I mean, dancing as one walks or dancing in a queue is odd and amusing, but not nearly as disturbing to people who see it as it would be if I were to stand there like some dude at the wailing wall in Jerusalem, bending back and forth; or flapping like a penguin trying to fly.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Jul 2009, 10:35 am

Excerpt from : :Asperger's Syndrome and Unequal Reaction to Pain, Author: Nelle Frances

Repetitious activity, such as rocking, flapping or pacing,
results in the release of Endorphins through the system.
Endorphins reduce the sensation of pain and have the ability to
block pain. In other words, when endorphins are present, the
amount of sensory reaction is reduced or stopped completely.
Children with Asperger's Syndrome have the ability to purposely,
but unknowingly, overload their sensory system in order to shut
it down completely i.e. by rocking, flapping or pacing etc.

http://www.lazarum.com/2/en/articles/ar ... articulo=5

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 10:56 am

It tends to increase serotonin levels. (Norden, 1995)

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:08 am

cosmiccat wrote:
Excerpt from : :Asperger's Syndrome and Unequal Reaction to Pain, Author: Nelle Frances

Repetitious activity, such as rocking, flapping or pacing,
results in the release of Endorphins through the system.
Endorphins reduce the sensation of pain and have the ability to
block pain. In other words, when endorphins are present, the
amount of sensory reaction is reduced or stopped completely.
Children with Asperger's Syndrome have the ability to purposely,
but unknowingly, overload their sensory system in order to shut
it down completely i.e. by rocking, flapping or pacing etc.

http://www.lazarum.com/2/en/articles/ar ... articulo=5

Aha! This is a good article, exactly the sort of thing I was wanting to know.

Alphabetania wrote:
I dance everywhere I go, whenever I need to wait somewhere. Until recently I did not know that this is because I am autistic. What basically happened over the years is that I had the need to stim very often, but was able to find an alternative which is fairly acceptable socially. I mean, dancing as one walks or dancing in a queue is odd and amusing, but not nearly as disturbing to people who see it as it would be if I were to stand there like some dude at the wailing wall in Jerusalem, bending back and forth; or flapping like a penguin trying to fly.

Very interesting! I do not dance where ever I go, but I do LOVE to dance and in fact have had people tell me I'm very good at it. I've not had any real training in it, I just find I can get into a good rhythm. I do like to dance spontaneously sometimes.

Maybe it is related to the rocking thing for me as well. I just wonder if being skilled at it has anything to do with the propensity to rock as well. It is kind of ironic, because I'm clumsy and even trip over my feet while walking, yet I'm skilled at something that would seem to take more coordination for. Napolean Dynamite Syndrome, haha. Guess that's part of the "paradox" of aspergers (and by paradox I mean counter-intuitive)

I saw a shirt that said "autistic people rock". I want it. I don't think most people will get the play on words however.

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:10 am

Speaking of plays on words, the answer to "why do we rock" could also be answered by listing our awesome quirkiness. Just kidding. But seriously.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:14 pm

Because we're not influenced by mainstream society.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:15 pm

Juggernaut wrote:
I saw a shirt that said "autistic people rock". I want it. I don't think most people will get the play on words however.

I found a site that has a t-shirt saying "autistics rock" and also "auties rock". Here is the site:

http://www.autistart.com/

Thanks for mentioning the shirt - I want one, too!

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 12:53 pm

Hey, that website's other shirts are pretty cool too!

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 1:18 pm

Awww.... :(

I've been feeling down lately because AS seems to have so many negative effects for me, and I rushed in here to be reminded of any good qualities Spectrumers may have. I wanted to know why Aspies ROCK! Image

Juggernaut wrote:
Speaking of plays on words, the answer to "why do we rock" could also be answered by listing our awesome quirkiness. Just kidding. But seriously.

Respect. 8) Thread on this, anybody?

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jul 2009, 1:52 pm

Poke wrote:
For those about to rock, I salute you.

Win