We forget that nature is a limited, makeshift kind of thing , that our
bodies are held together with pins, and that history has often gone
backwards. The good, if it cannot be applied to all, is evil. The
beautiful, if it costs the lives of many people, is ugly. The true, if it
is unjust, is false. Faced with this unattainable historical triad, we
should opt for the ordinary, the pretty, the approximate, as the only things
really compatible with the survival of nature and of human civilisation. For
this reason, the ordinary is better than the good. The pretty is more
beautiful than the beautiful. The approximate is more true than the true.

The contrary of krisis is kairos, which in Greek and Roman philosophy meant
“opportunity” or “the right moment”, the temporal crack that lets divine
intervention in. The krisis is also our kairos. Will we know how to make
the most of it?

Apart from that embryonic light which is growing slowly and unsteadily in
Latin America, the world situation does not inspire hope. Resistance, as we
have said, resembles the world it is rising against. The good, the
beautiful, the true are concepts associated with advertising and consumerism
and thus with individual reflexes - whether painful or pleasurable. In a
world that is globalised and transparent they now make up the dominant
ideology of the dominated classes. We are separated from the ordinary, the
pretty and the approximate, so essential to any kind of political salvation,
not only by the Forbes list, but also by the subjective desire of human
beings themselves, a desire that is trapped in the intrinsic irrationality
of capitalism and its suicidal dependencies: “I will seek my own survival,
even if I have to kill myself too in doing so.”

Last edited by enamdar on 30 Jul 2009, 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:08 pm

The solution of "let's stop" is a rather weak effort to a monumental problem. I don't hear any effective alternatives.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:31 pm

Sand wrote:
The solution of "let's stop" is a rather weak effort to a monumental problem. I don't hear any effective alternatives.

I'd say "honest business" but no one will ever go for that.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:58 pm

skafather84 wrote:
Sand wrote:

I'd say "honest business" but no one will ever go for that.

No doubt it exists but effectually in the world "honest business" is an oxymoron. When a person creates a business it becomes the center of his/her existence and takes over all motivations. When pressures become too strong to act honestly and the business can survive and prosper dishonestly it will do so. It is a form of independent life - especially when it becomes a corporate individual - and although honesty is desirable it is not imperative. Most large corporations are based on doing what the can to survive and prosper whatever the legality might be and the only crime is getting caught. It is not a fault of the business entity, it is a structural necessity and can only be remedied by strict governmental regulation. As we have seen throughout the Bush administration and before (and probably subsequent), corruption is so rife throughout government that business is pretty free to do whatever it desires.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 7:33 am

Sand wrote:
As we have seen throughout the Bush administration and before (and probably subsequent), corruption is so rife throughout government that business is pretty free to do whatever it desires.

Revisit the lamentable histories of Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany to see what happens when government can do whatever it desires.

The real problem is in human nature itself. We are incapable of feeling the pain we inflict on others as vividly as the pain felt by the victims, themselves. The feedback loop is not closed. As long as humans favor their own cause above the causes of others, what you describe will happen. Thomas Hobbes was right on the mark.

ruveyn

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 7:56 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:
As we have seen throughout the Bush administration and before (and probably subsequent), corruption is so rife throughout government that business is pretty free to do whatever it desires.

Revisit the lamentable histories of Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany to see what happens when government can do whatever it desires.

The US government has been doing whatever it wants: being in bed with large multinational corporations and creating a corporate welfare state where the automatic solution to any business/economic crisis is to print up and throw more money at it rather than allowing the institutions of bankruptcy to take its course.

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 8:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

The real problem is in human nature itself. We are incapable of feeling the pain we inflict on others as vividly as the pain felt by the victims, themselves. The feedback loop is not closed. As long as humans favor their own cause above the causes of others, what you describe will happen. Thomas Hobbes was right on the mark.

ruveyn

Which nicely explains your enthusiasm for nuclear bombing all Muslim countries.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2009, 9:02 am

Where to begin commenting on this stuff?

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:10 am

skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

The US government has been doing whatever it wants: being in bed with large multinational corporations and creating a corporate welfare state where the automatic solution to any business/economic crisis is to print up and throw more money at it rather than allowing the institutions of bankruptcy to take its course.

This is the system Enamdar and Sand would equate with Capitalism? Sounds like a strawman to me.

Capitalism hasn't failed. The "Coporate Welfare State" has failed.

Capitalism has never been the problem. It's the solution.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 10:13 am

Izaak wrote:
skafather84 wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

This is the system Enamdar and Sand would equate with Capitalism? Sounds like a strawman to me.

Capitalism hasn't failed. The "Coporate Welfare State" has failed.

Capitalism has never been the problem. It's the solution.

Sure, Just like communism is the solution. Might be worth a try some day.

Oggleleus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2009, 5:05 pm

The inaccuracies are very humorous. This reads like a movie review. Quite passionate. Richard Corey would be proud.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:11 pm

The only -ism that I find at the root of such things is consumerism; all others are means to that end.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2009, 5:21 pm

skafather84 wrote:

And this is exactly what's been happening on an individual basis. People with credit cards, spending money they don't have to buy more stuff they won't take care of instead of learning to live with less.

Just saw that M had posted about consumerism...

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Aug 2009, 5:14 pm

Oggleleus wrote:
Where to begin commenting on this stuff?
i agree. are people really killing themselves because of the economy? is it that bad?? :lol:

i havent noticed a change but then again my finacial situation is almost always the same so if i was a wealthy chap maybe i'd feel diferently if i suddenly was poor but i doubt it :lol:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 7:34 pm

Sand wrote:

Cherish your friends and destroy your enemies. If thine enemy smite thee on thy cheek, decapitate him and urinate down his neck.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:30 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sand wrote:

Cherish your friends and destroy your enemies. If thine enemy smite thee on thy cheek, decapitate him and urinate down his neck.

ruveyn

Your philosophy is that of the guy who put a bottle of nitroglycerin in his rear pocket for revenge on a goat intending to butt him.