Corny phrases/advice that make your blood boil

Page 1 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:14 pm

Some people hate brutal honesty, others hate lies. What makes my blood boil however, is corniness. Unfortunately, it's usually expressed by phrases. Phrases which are supposed to be profound, but are actually vague, stupid, dismissive, based on simplistic premises, and serve as nothing but cop outs. It's the dismissive way people use em which pisses me off the most.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
That phrase is nothing but denial. First off, attraction isn't a choice. Secondly, yes there are little preferences, but it's generally the same. Men like big asses, big tits, and a cute face.

"Life is unfair"
Injustice is something that can and should be changed, so don't act like it's some law of physics.

"Be yourself"

Not everything is connected to personality. There's habits, the way you carry yourself across, your body language, facial expressions, etc. People get turned off by way more reasons than just your personality.

"Get a life"
Getting a social life isn't all trial and error. There's a couple of things, such as society being intolerant towards the socially inept, and reputation. Not to mention, changing your pattern of behaviour takes a pretty long time. So f**k off.

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"
This is true to an extent, but the way most people use it is in a dismissive way.

"Walk it off"
Ignoring isn't the solution to everything in life, so stop being a f*****g p****, acknowledge the true severity of it, and find some real solutions instead of using a cheap excuse to numb yourself to the reality of it.

I'll post some more tommorow. That's all I could come up with right now...

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:19 pm

What eh Ver

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:21 pm

Thanks for your mind blowing insight...

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:29 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
Thanks for your mind blowing insight...

Uh, I think he literally means that is a term that pisses me off

oh, and s**t like "you're sweet enough, that's why you don't need sugar" (ignoring that I don't give a s**t about 'needing' it)

Oh. Other stuff like that from the past that grated on me

oh, the whole "you haven't ecperienced REAL xyz" lolol.

define "Real" xyz".

[edited for content by sinsboldly]

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2009, 11:57 pm

Autism ??

That's all in yer head ....

Well, yes, actually, it is ....

Malsane
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2009, 12:12 am

Things along the line of "suck it up" drive me crazy. It's as you said about ignoring problems. It's a foolish and harmful mentality. I get frustrated with sentiments about 'human nature' as well, such as wanting things you can't have. I find I don't exhibit any of the 'human nature' qualities, therefore am not human. Meh.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 12:28 am

"sticks and stones will break your bones, but names/teasing will never hurt you"

Whichever A--hole came up with this outta try going through eight years of constant name calling, manipulation, gossip, false rumours, defamation, psychological abuse, and being brushed off or used, then brushed off after the said usage...then tell me what they thnk.

Sticks and stones may break a bone.
but constant psychological abuse hurts just as bad.
based on personal experience, Id rather take the sticks and stones,
because at least broken bones will heal after a little while....
psychological scars are forever, long after the physical scars are gone
It hurts more to be on the sidelines, ridiculed and alone,
while all the conformists, in their cliques, walk by, head up their own arses, single file....
Am I the only one, who is an individual, and not a clone or a drone?

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Ayame
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jul 2009, 12:49 am

a recent study found that victims of bullying were more likely to develop psychosis later in life.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 12:54 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
"sticks and stones will break your bones, but names/teasing will never hurt you"

Whichever A--hole came up with this outta try going through eight years of constant name calling, manipulation, gossip, false rumours, defamation, psychological abuse, and being brushed off or used, then brushed off after the said usage...then tell me what they thnk.

while all the conformists, in their cliques, walk by, head up their own arses, single file....
too true :(

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 1:01 am

Tory_canuck wrote:

ddunkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2009, 1:17 am

Ok, not quite 'phrases', but along the same lines. Might not even be appropriate for this thread now that I review it :? (or stretch into a different one).

Just about every single Internet acronym and buzzword, especially the ones getting into the dictionary. Things like 'blog' and 'texting', the idea of texting, and always being available, I associate it with stupid teenagers and public rudeness. Twitter? *puke*

I may be getting old, but I feel like it is degrading to our well established language to take this 'Internet slang' and make it official. I am not the best at it, however I don't like the short-hand that is making it into the classroom these days. Note, I'm 29 and spend most of my days and nights on computers, so I'm not disconnected from this, I just don't like the amount is has intruded into the lives of people who would normally never touch computers.

Now that that is over.... actual phrases? I don't like most of them just on the basis of originality. A sales guy once asked if I wanted to do a 'dog and pony show', 'apple never falls far from the tree', 'grass is always greener'... I don't care how relevant it is, it isn't being original to repeat verbatim something you heard somewhere else. I don't think it makes anyone sound more interesting or intelligent. It makes me feel better to not have read something before, and form my own words around the same idea. There are words that people just know I don't use, and if I did, they would know I was quoting something else.

I may make myself appear less educated by not doing these things, but I feel like I can see through people when they are intellectually bullshitting for just this reason (quoting famous books, then trying to have an intellectual discussion without being able to converse in full due to lack of real knowledge).I still feel as though they are non-verbally degrading me for not reading these things that don't interest me.

From my past, I'm sure lots of guys relate to the 'You're just a really good friend and I don't want to ruin what we have' lines that women hand out :)

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 2:03 am

I was in some bar and there was some band and they started to play this song with the chorus "suck it up, suck it up", and I thought "what is the point of this", and wanted to leave as quickly as possible to show my disapproval...

Moments like this thread make me think of that Yes Minister show where the minister tells his permanent secretary, "Can't you think of a new cliche", to which he explains, "A new cliche would be a contradiction in terms"... So I just at times feel like telling people to use a new cliche.

"This witch hunt is turning into a circus"...

These days, people use "gong show" instead of circus at times... sounds just as funny.

Fo-Rum
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2009, 2:15 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
That phrase is nothing but denial. First off, attraction isn't a choice. Secondly, yes there are little preferences, but it's generally the same. Men like big asses, big tits, and a cute face.

I understand where you're coming from with the whole being annoyed by phrases. Things like that typically bother me as well. While I have opinions on the other ones I am only going to express my opinion on this one specifically.

Why would this phrase be denial? Plus, there is more than just attraction applied to this. It can be for things like art, or other things in life that somebody might call beautiful. Further more, I am a male and I find many things about a woman attractive, different sizes and shapes. Each have their pros and cons, and it's not limited to just "big tits" and "big asses" and a "cute face".

You are right that attraction isn't a choice, but have you ever experienced a change in what you find attractive? As I get older I find more and more things attractive about women. I've also learned that women I previously found unattractive have became very attractive after having known them for a short while. I think it is a truly wonderful thing to be able to appreciate so much about women, and to learn to appreciate the beauty in a woman you didn't see before.

Beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder. I suppose you think the idea of "opinion" is a cop out on the difference between fact and opinion, right? Example..

You: this music sucks
Guy: that is a matter of opinion
You: opinion is just a cop out, you make my blood boil!! !

THINK THINK THINK THINK THINK!

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 4:42 am

"Just be more cheerful/relaxed/etc." Makes my blood boil really. As if A) you can change your feelings at whim, or B) being cheerful/relaxed/etc. will magically solve all my problems.
"You have to learn to control yoru behvior." OH, duh, as if I haven't heard that a million times already.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 4:44 am

The lack of originality bugs me as much as the stale message too. I try never to say the word "assume" because it's like pushing a button for some people-I can't stand it when hear one if these cliche's. I will actually wince sometimes.

As far as content goes -have your cake and eat it too never made sense to me-what's the point of having cake if you can't eat it?

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:09 am

"Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".