01 Aug 2009, 3:41 pm

What does "More tea, vicar?" mean?

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2009, 3:52 pm

Greentea wrote:

Wow, never heard this one before! But if I had to guess, I'd say it is a distraction to change an uncomfortable subject, kind of a "no comment"/mind your own business. What is the context where this is used?

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 3:55 pm

Juggernaut wrote:

"Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Are you a 'Simpsons' fan? They sum up my attitude to that saying nicely -
Homer "But whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger right?"
Dr Hibbert "No, it makes you weak as a kitten"

Or take it literally. "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Me "No, then it just sickens or maims you"

I hate it when people call me a drama queen and tell me not to be uptight when I worry about something happening - Then when it actually does happen, they freak right out and say "OH SH*T!" 8) Hate to say it but ...

Last edited by activebutodd on 02 Aug 2009, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 4:30 pm

Bingo, Anna. Turns out from my Google search it's a British expression used as you indicate, or when someone farts in a social situation. Thanks!

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:11 am

activebutodd wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:

I hate it when people call me a drama queen and tell me not to be uptight when I worry about something happening - Then when it actually does happen, they freak right out and say "OH SH*T!" 8) Hate to say it but ...

Yeah, now that's a cliche I'm sick of saying.... "I told you so." LOL

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2009, 12:25 pm

i just do not see any point to write 300 pages to say the same thing in 15 words

just look at the books people write now under the name politically correct

i can take these 900 page political correct books and say more in 25 words than they do in 900 pages

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:04 pm

Tantybi wrote:
activebutodd wrote:
Juggernaut wrote:

Yeah, now that's a cliche I'm sick of saying.... "I told you so." LOL

That's why I didn't... :wink: :lol:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 2:01 pm

AnnaLemma wrote:
Greentea wrote:

Wow, never heard this one before! But if I had to guess, I'd say it is a distraction to change an uncomfortable subject, kind of a "no comment"/mind your own business. What is the context where this is used?

That's off a comedy called father ted about irish priests. And there's this character called mrs. Doyle that keeps saying "more tea vicar?" and keeps making tea all the time.

I'm guessing that's what you're referring to anyway.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 3:22 pm

:star: That's just the way the cookie crumbles (Meaning that life doesn't always go your way, you know...) - I hate this saying so much! It's a saying usually told you by someone who's life is perfect as well. All you want to say to them is 'do you even know what pain is? Have you ever had to struggle or suffer in any way as*hole?'
:star: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (I know others have suggested this already) - another one I hate. My usual response is 'have you met my boyfriend? His illnesses haven't killed him but he is now too disabled to work. How has that made him stronger exactly? Please tell me as I am dying to know!!'
:star: No offence but... - as soon as these words come out of someone's mouth, I put my hand up and I say 'Stop!! ! If you have to say this, that means you are going to say something horrible and, quite frankly, I don't want to or have to hear it. If you can't say anything nice to me without it being constructive criticism, don't speak to me.'

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 4:42 pm

Thanks, Monkey! I'm going to look it up in Google now.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 11:12 pm

Fiz wrote:
:star: That's just the way the cookie crumbles (Meaning that life doesn't always go your way, you know...) - I hate this saying so much! It's a saying usually told you by someone who's life is perfect as well. All you want to say to them is 'do you even know what pain is? Have you ever had to struggle or suffer in any way as*hole?'
:star: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (I know others have suggested this already) - another one I hate. My usual response is 'have you met my boyfriend? His illnesses haven't killed him but he is now too disabled to work. How has that made him stronger exactly? Please tell me as I am dying to know!!'
:star: No offence but... - as soon as these words come out of someone's mouth, I put my hand up and I say 'Stop!! ! If you have to say this, that means you are going to say something horrible and, quite frankly, I don't want to or have to hear it. If you can't say anything nice to me without it being constructive criticism, don't speak to me.'

One tiny problem with that last one...my dear, unfortunately, most people can't even handle constructive criticism; to them, criticism is criticism....and lest we forget that we Aspies are very blunt.

I get tired of trying to explain these things to NTs and have to hold back so intensely the urge to rip their heads off half the time. It drains me so much at work, that on my days off, I sleep in...like a bear.

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 7:19 am

"Live every day as if it's your last"

No need to pay the bills, go to work, buy food, worry about the long prison sentence for the crimes I commit...

Batz wrote:
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Aaaaaaah--no!

A shotgun is a more effective deterrent..

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 1:56 pm

ManErg, does anyone believe that one anymore? I mean, is anyone still so naive to see anything in it?

By the way, if you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was. There's great truth in this one. I don't think the people above understood the real meaning. You guys thought it means "If you love something, push it away." Not at all. What this saying means is (I'll paraphrase): If you need to manipulate and control in order to keep what you want, then you don't really have it. Because the machinations needed to keep it with you prevent you from enjoying it. Be it the love of a certain person or whatever. I learned a lot from this saying. I first saw it in a poster when I was 13 years old, and that instant was the very start of my search for self-knowledge, and the path of wisdom that came to me. I still remember the moment I saw it, where I was standing and all. I bought the poster and kept it for tens of years. Monkeys are trapped in Africa because they won't let go of the peanuts inside the jar, their hand is stuck in the jar and they can't move away. When you hold on by force to what you want, you become a prisoner of it.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 2:05 pm

ManErg wrote:
"Live every day as if it's your last"

...correction
Live every day, like it is your cared for ones last.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 2:12 pm

Here is one phrase that I've heard a great deal in my life..

Quite complaining and seemply snap out of it-- Honestly, one does not simply turn off his/her AS like that of a ligh switch and all..Maybe oneday some people are going to acknowledge the fact, AS is more than likely a different way of doing things, maybe not the normal manner but, neverless a unorthodox approach that's all..

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2009, 3:07 pm

idioms... idioms drive me NUTS!

Idiom site
^
This is a list of them and what they actually mean, which is really nice for us.

Other things that drive me nuts:

"Everything will be alright" (okay, sure, it sounds nice and all, but if someone just lost everything they own, family memories and all... it's NOT going to be alright... they will eventually get past it, but that doesn't make it alright when you've lost years worth of memories or just cool little things you've picked up from places that have meaning)

"Just stop worrying about it."

"It doesn't matter as much as you think it does."

"You just have to look at it from another perspective." (without offering one of course)

"You just have to change how you do things." (I'd like them to give me a "how to" manual when they say this)