Corny phrases/advice that make your blood boil

Page 6 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 4:07 am

"relax/can't be so uptight/don't take life so seriously"

What I find really annoying about these phrases is that the people who usually say them are very relaxed....until suddenly they screw something up, and need someone else to bail 'em out.

Hey sure...if I was co-dependent on everyone else in life to do sh&^ for me, I might not be so freakin' uptight, either!

What I find even more annoying is that most others I speak to view these people as relaxed when, deep down, they're really obviously not.

Very superficial thing, really.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

31 Jul 2009, 6:17 am

Quote:
"I cried myself to sleep"
----I've spent long nights crying and ended up sleeping, but I just think the expression doesn't make sense. You can cry until you fall asleep but I don't think you cry yourself TO sleep. Maybe you can, but it's just gotten too cliche.

It's possible to cry until you're so exhausted that you fall asleep.

Quote:
5. "No man is an island."

That one means "people need other people to survive". It's one of those annoying "yay society!!!1" sayings.

("No cat is a carrot" is an awesome saying. :D )

Quote:
AceOfSpades, you have to go with the flow and think positive, because tomorrow is another day. You think too much, so you're your worst enemy. Smile! Don't worry, be happy, tell a lot of white lies, and don't forget about the sunscreen.

Bolded the parts that are likely to make me homicidal if someone says them to me.

"Everything happens for a reason" is right near the top of my Hated Phrases list.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:28 am

Ah yes..."you think too much"; well, what do I expect, hearing that from people who don't think at all? :lol: :lol: :lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:39 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
Hmm.. well sometimes if you want to make easter eggs that will last, you poke a hole in both sides of the raw egg and then blow through them, to get the eggyness out so that you can keep them and they won't go bad.. they're really fragile, though. But you don't suck, you blow.. you don't want the raw egg go to in your mouth.. you want it to go in a pan or a bowl or something..

Yes I vaguely remember doing this as a child. As for yer actual egg-sucking, according to my researches:
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Phrases- ... 55539.html
Once upon a time many old people had no teeth at all because they'd all dropped out. An easy way of getting protein into your granny was to puncture each end of an egg and let her suck it. I presume that grannies became so good at this that to presume to teach them how to do it was insulting. Hence the modern use of the expression.

That's the only explanation I've been able to find. I guess it's plausible considering how old the saying is (it goes back to 1707 or further).....it's hard to imagine a time when there were no food blending gadgets or health advice about the dangers of consuming raw eggs (those old timers must have had strong stomachs; I feel like throwing up at the very thought of it. Imagine swallowing all that gloopy stuff 8O )

Anyway, here's the longer form of the proverb, which is a lot more elegant:
Teach not thy parent’s mother to extract
The embryo juices of the bird by suction.
The good old lady can that feat enact,
Quite irrespective of your kind instruction

I also like this variant:
don’t teach your grandmother to steal sheep
Now that I can understand 8)

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Jul 2009, 8:05 am

I don't like it when I get my mind made up on something, and someone says, "Don't answer now, think about it and let me know later." I did think about it and that's my final answer :twisted:.

Our local weather woman uses some phrases that I have grown to dislike because of her repeated use of them in a single weather forecast: "on the get-go", "out and about", "here and there", "off and on", "during the day today", etc.

I dislike hearing the term "veggies" for vegetables. I also have a tendency to not like certain shortened or clipped words.

There are a lot more...but that's good for now.

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2009, 9:11 am

"You've just got to try harder."

"Well, for your kids sake you have to be more social."

"What happens when they want to do XYZ and you don't want to associate with all the other moms?That won't be fair to them."

"You have to push yourself to be social."

"Hold that thought. I'll be back in a minute."

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 10:10 am

"XX is already YY years old... It's not easy to understand..." (Often said by old people, but also others.)

Oh yes, it is really easy to understand. If he was 8 years last year, it's really easy to understand that he's 9 years this year.

And yes it's also easy to understand that a kid gets 3 years old - just count from his birth year and to the year we are in now... It's all a matter of maths! :wink:

When I was about to be 18 years old, my dad said that it wasn't easy to understand. I answered, it's not something you have to understand, just to know. Then he got upset. For my annoying literality, I guess. :nerdy: :ncool:

Batz
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2009, 11:14 am

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Aaaaaaah--no!

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:57 am

anna-banana wrote:

I hate it when people tell me that I need to "leave my comfort zone"

AGREED! My Dad used to say this to other people behind my back to justify himself to them for making me do things that actually were damaging to me, as if "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger" , as if every problem must be conquered and CAN be conquered. As if my disabilities are just the result of a lack of training and discipline.

This makes my blood boil. And I do like that phrase because I do like descriptive figures of speech and this one is quite accurate in portraying the feeling.

fiddlerpianist wrote:
"Take it like a man"

I really hate misusing the masculinity card.

AceOfSpades wrote:

Anyways, this thread probably makes me look like a bitter dick, but I don't hate phrases entirely and I don't consider myself cynical. I'm aware that phrases are phrases because they're easy to remember, have some truth to them, and are general enough to be applied. However, you can't sum complex subject matter up with a little sound bite, and this is what people do all the time which annoys me.

I don't think you are. I've felt that conundrum too, where I've complained and criticized things, then wondered if maybe they were right, that I just needed to "loosen up". I've decided that yes, there are times to let things go, but sometimes it helps to acknowledge ridiculous behavior in others so that we do not internalize it all, or be angry with them and not know why. If I am aware of why a conversation bothers me, I don't have to feel angry at the person because I can remind myself that they are just behaving like NTs, since they are. acknowledging idiocy can be a way of reducing cynicism so long as we move on from it (which it must be acknowledged that some people do not). This is the sort of forum for rants however, in my opinion. I just have to remind myself to let me take out that energy here and not with NTs who rarely understand why I seem so "cynical".

mitharatowen wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
DaWalker wrote:
I happen to favor blondes

:heart: :heart:

It's not often I EVER hear that... EVER

Are you kidding me??? Everyone loves blondes. Why do you think there are so many blonde playboy bunnies??

I am wondering how much of this is biological and how much is cultural, and if biological at all, what purpose does it serve? I think it is more cultural. I wonder if it has to do with the rarity of blondes (and the trend to want to diversify the gene pool? just a hypothesis)

Personally, I prefer brunettes VERY much. Blonde is an automatic point deduction. I've seen some attractive blondes but I think they would be more attractive if they were brunette. I like girls that seem real. Celulloid super fantasies I just cannot picture actually existing as people, and personality is VERY important to me.

glider18 wrote:

I dislike hearing the term "veggies" for vegetables. I also have a tendency to not like certain shortened or clipped words.

Me too. Some abbreviations I do like but some I don't. I like to refer to abbreviating something as "abreving" it, simply for the sake of humor.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:06 pm

No mention of red heads? I color my hair red for my husband.

Of course, years later I found out his mother colored hers red too. 8O

I hate "Life is Hard"...that is so condescending

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:50 pm

Dragonfly_Dreams wrote:
"You've just got to try harder."

"Well, for your kids sake you have to be more social."

"What happens when they want to do XYZ and you don't want to associate with all the other moms?That won't be fair to them."

"You have to push yourself to be social."

"Hold that thought. I'll be back in a minute."

they're just more excuses to get you to be more like them.

My gal is the sociable one, so she can help our eventual kids with that. Maybe we Aspies can improve our social skills to a point, but to do that we have to study it night and day, and focus on nothing else...and as I've already suggested, learning to be social is like paying full price for an over-rated movie; the experience just ain't worth the price of admission.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 12:54 am

sayings that annoy me

life isn't fair. (I know, no need to remind me) really condescending.

You think too much (this is said by people that don't think at all usually)

Take it like a man is a real stupid saying also.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

01 Aug 2009, 3:34 am

Batz wrote:

It works if you throw the apples at your doctor.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 4:20 am

I kinda like Take it Like a Man and Walk it Off. Take it like a man inspires me to drink that shot without any chaser, no lemon, no sugar, just straight, and it is so relaxing to take that shot like a man because fruity drinks make me sick.

Walk it off, well, it works for me. I turn it into a game too with kids. When they fall down and start crying, and it's obvious they aren't really hurt, I say really cheery like, "Okay, get up, let's walk around a bit, walk it off, cmon." It just distracts kids from the hurt because eventually, you'll walk passed something that will strike their interest.

What annoys me though, the most, isn't the cliche. It's that many people seem to think simply stating the problem is a solution. Even worse when it's obvious. Like if you are stuck in the rain, they will be like, "Don't get wet," or "You are getting wet." No crap sherlock. How about offering me an umbrella.

I did like how my grandma changed a cliche... Most people say, "If you love something, set it free; if it comes back, it's meant to be." My grandma said, "If you love something, throw it away; if it comes back, it's meant to stay."

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 6:34 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
Batz wrote:

It works if you throw the apples at your doctor.

:lmao:

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 2:03 pm

Tantybi wrote:
"If you love something, set it free; if it comes back, it's meant to be."

Ack, I hate that one! I don't understand why you should 'set free' or 'throw away' something that you love? I've usually heard this is applied to romantic interests and it seems to indicate that you have to dump them and if they love you they'll want you back??? WTF that doesn't make any sense and is just cruel.