Well I wasn't expecting him to say that...

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:44 pm

Quote:
as I had posted earlier, parents spend a lot of time trying to keep their kids from seeing them laughing. We know its confusing for the kids in situations like this one.

Oh, okay! I should have paid a bit mroe attention to your previous post before posting myself. :)
I wish my mom and babysitters hid their laughter. But then again, I guess I was a very overly-serious kid.

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:54 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
Quote:
as I had posted earlier, parents spend a lot of time trying to keep their kids from seeing them laughing. We know its confusing for the kids in situations like this one.

Oh, okay! I should have paid a bit mroe attention to your previous post before posting myself. :)
I wish my mom and babysitters hid their laughter. But then again, I guess I was a very overly-serious kid.

Yes, it can be difficult to know what needs to be hidden. We're finding our NT daughter to be unusually sensitive about feeling she is being laughed at. I can't even crack a smile with her, when she does something cute. But most parents really do try.

31 Jul 2009, 3:14 pm

One time when I was in 6th grade, mom takes my brothers and I to get a hair cut and there is this little girl sitting next to us with her mom. She takes the lipstick out of her mother's purse and opens it and puts it on her and she did a good job because she did not get it on her skin, only on her lips. My mother laughed because she thought it was cute and then the little girl buried her head in her mother. She said her kid will be okay and my mom apologized for making her daughter think she was being laughed at.

I don't think I have ever gotten upset for being laughed at when I do something cute because I couldn't understand why that little girl was so upset and why she think my mom was making fun of her.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 8:18 pm

There are so many things that our children do that make us laugh and so often we must try to hide it. It starts when they are babies and do something that is a no-no. Even if it's an adorable infraction, we can't even let them see us smile or else we reinforce the behavior.

My son is also very sensitive and doesn't like being laughed at by anyone for anything, unless he's telling a joke (which, ironically, is usually not very funny :) ). We do our best but he's so darn cute it can be really hard. We would never laugh at him to make fun of him, but I know he doesn't make the distinction and so we find ourselves often leaving the room :) .

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 1:41 am

Why is it inappropriate for anyone to say, "Don't patronize me," to someone who is patronizing them?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 10:24 am

Barbedlotus,

Your kid sounds nice!

Mgran,

The SAME thing could be said of humans. HECK, humans are scientifically considered to be apes. Wouldn't it be pompous to consider humans to be SO much better. Humans somehow got the idea to build lots of things, go for comfort, and then try to refine that to the molecular level. Think about it, and you will realize that EVERYTHING sprung from that ONE idea! EVEN the computer and LCD. Once people decided to work on it, barter, and challenge who was first, it was further encouraged.

I USED to say that it was simply that humans were the first to use tools, but OTTERS do that! THEN I said OK, we use tools to make tools. ALAS, CHIMPS have been caught doing THAT! HECK, even SEAGULS have, in a sense, used tools. GRANTED, in a VERY limited way, but HUMANS have done the SAME when they had limited mobility.

Your kid was simply showing the "adults" how stupid they were! Out of the mouths of babes! ROTFLOL!

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

zena4 wrote:
I thouhgt barbedlotus was laughing at her sister-in-law.
(I would have done!)

Yep, I was laughing at her, which made him smile when he realized why I was laughing. I'm sorry but I think it was a little more offensive her treating him like that (something she does frequently) than him calling her out on it. She's either got to catch on how far along he is or stop being so surprised when he gets feed up. That and our family is one of those that is very blunt with each other so it's not as big of a deal as it would be in other company.

There's been a few times we've laughed at something he did and it hurt his feelings, but I've always made sure to apologize to him when this happens and let him know he wasn't doing anything wrong or stupid. I know this means a lot to him too, especially if someone other than his father and me are around. We had a talk with this about him once that made a huge difference (I know, people think I'm freaking crazy for having serious talks with my two year old but hey it works). I explained sometimes when people laugh its not cause they think you're funny or stupid, it's because what you did just made them feel happy by being cute or endearing or doing something really well that a lot of kids his age tend not to do. Ever since that talk people laughing at something cute or unexpected he does doesn't seem to bug him near as much. I don't like the idea of hiding our laughter from him all the time. I want him to draw confidence from it so laughter from kids at school doesn't hurt as bad. After all the class clown is just the loser who learned how to work it ;).