Well I wasn't expecting him to say that...

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

barbedlotus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2009, 5:27 pm

My son is two, and loves video games. He is also extremely independent. A couple of relatives visiting drop hints they think we neglect him, but unless he comes to you he gets very frustrated if you butt in to his play. Generally we hang out in the same room and let him decide when he wants us to play with him. The thing that annoys him more than any other is when he asks you to show him how to do something you have to show him how to do it not just do it for him. My sister-in-law was helping him with a level this morning and kept doing it for him instead of showing him what buttons he needed to complete the new move the level required. After about four times he finally snapped at her "Don't patronize me" and snatched the controller away. I thought I was going to die laughing.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:34 pm

Ha! That'll show her. That's hilarious. :lol:

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 5:53 pm

Keep an eye on him, he's going to be a handful!

I remember my son, when he was three, overhearing a philosophical debate about whether animals had souls or not. One man said that animals were nothing but machines. My son caused shock all round when he lifted his head to look at the speaker, raised one eye brow in as Spock like a manner as you can imagine, and said, "ah, the Cartesian fallacy..."

The funniest thing is, that it WAS the Cartesian fallacy!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 6:40 pm

barbedlotus wrote:
After about four times he finally snapped at her "Don't patronize me" and snatched the controller away. I thought I was going to die laughing.

I'm going to get beat up for saying this, but I don't care. Autistic or not, that's a very inappropriate and disrespectful thing to say/do. I'm appalled.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 7:00 pm

gramirez wrote:
barbedlotus wrote:
After about four times he finally snapped at her "Don't patronize me" and snatched the controller away. I thought I was going to die laughing.

I'm going to get beat up for saying this, but I don't care. Autistic or not, that's a very inappropriate and disrespectful thing to say/do. I'm appalled.

Give the kid a break. It would be disrespectful if he was a new hire at a job saying it to the person training him. But a little kid saying it to his aunt? Hilarious! It;s all about context. Things that are inappropriate and disrespectful in one context are just fione in another. If he was less verbally precocious, it would have come out as "I do it myself!" which all verbal 2 year olds have said to an adult at one time or another, as well they should. He just put a verbally precocious spin on something that is utterly appropriate for any 2 year old to say.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 7:06 pm

Janissy wrote:
gramirez wrote:
barbedlotus wrote:

Give the kid a break. It would be disrespectful if he was a new hire at a job saying it to the person training him. But a little kid saying it to his aunt? Hilarious! It;s all about context. Things that are inappropriate and disrespectful in one context are just fione in another. If he was less verbally precocious, it would have come out as "I do it myself!" which all verbal 2 year olds have said to an adult at one time or another, as well they should. He just put a verbally precocious spin on something that is utterly appropriate for any 2 year old to say.

In that context, yeah it's not that big of a deal, but I'd be worried about a child saying something like that in a different context where it would be horribly inappropriate.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 7:37 pm

I'm all for kids learning to respect others and not to be rude, but come on now - the kid was sticking up for himself. Good for him, he was being patronized and he called her on it! Of course as he gets older he will learn how to say it in a nicer way, but he's 2 now. I'm very impressed that not only could he use such advanced language, but that he had the courage to stick up for himself. That is a very important skill that many adults have yet to master!

30 Jul 2009, 10:10 pm

Those are big words for a baby.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 11:00 pm

OMG, I really am ROFL! I can't believe those big words came from a 2 year old, and then I read about the 3 year old and the Cartisian fallacay ... shoot I don't even know what that is, ROFL!! !! !

I love our kids :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2009, 11:02 pm

gramirez wrote:
barbedlotus wrote:

Parents spend a lot of time not allowing their kids to see how they are dying laughing. It's funny. Appropriate or not, it's funny.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:25 am

barbedlotus wrote:
...After about four times he finally snapped at her "Don't patronize me" and snatched the controller away. I thought I was going to die laughing.

How did he feel after being laughed at?

I know that when I was little, whenever the adults laughed at my words when I was being serious, I felt very angry and humiliated because I thought they were being even more patronizing! :x

It still hurts me a little inside whenever I see adults laughing at their kids because they said something "cute", when the kids were being absolutely serious and not trying to be cute at all. :cry:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by CleverKitten on 31 Jul 2009, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 11:45 am

I thouhgt barbedlotus was laughing at her sister-in-law.
(I would have done!)

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:45 pm

gramirez wrote:
barbedlotus wrote:

It's also inappropriate and disrespectful to do what his aunt done. I thought the way he reacted was acceptable and the right thing to do in the circumstance.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 12:49 pm

At the age of 2!

That's the amazing part.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:20 pm

CleverKitten wrote:
barbedlotus wrote:
...After about four times he finally snapped at her "Don't patronize me" and snatched the controller away. I thought I was going to die laughing.

How did he feel after being laughed at?

I know that when I was little, whenever the adults laughed at my words when I was being serious, I felt very angry and humiliated because I thought they were being even more patronizing! :x

It still hurts me a little inside whenever I see adults laughing at their kids because they said something "cute", when the kids were being absolutely serious and not trying to be cute at all. :cry:

I can't speak for the OP or this one instance, but as I had posted earlier, parents spend a lot of time trying to keep their kids from seeing them laughing. We know its confusing for the kids in situations like this one.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:43 pm

I don't think anyone could say it was inappropriate for a two year old to say that! All two year olds feel it, he just has the vocabulary and confidence to say it. It is very, very funny!