Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jan 2006, 1:31 am

this formn is to decuss evolution in what ever manner u want untill im intersted in ur veiws

wandrew
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jan 2006, 2:21 am

They tell us that
We lost our tails
Evolving up
From little snails
I say it's all
Just wind in sails

Are we not Men?
We are DEVO!

Are we not Men?
D-E-V-O!

We're pinheads all
We are not whole
We're pinheads all
Jocko Homo

Are we not Men?
We are DEVO!

Are we not Men?
D-E-V-O!

Are we not pins?
We are DEVO!

Monkeymen all
In business suit
Teachers and critics
All dance the poot

Are we not Men?
We are DEVO!

Are we not Men?
D-E-V-O!

Are we not pins?
We are DEVO!

Are we not Men?
D-E-V-O!

They say that God made Man
But he used a monkey to do it
Ape is the plan
And we're all here to prove it
I can walk like an ape
Talk like an ape
Do what monkeys do
God made Man
But monkeys applied the glue

Are we not Men? We are DEVO?
We must repeat-DEVO
We must repeat
OK let's go!

mysticaria
Raven
Raven

24 Jan 2006, 4:50 am

http://www.becominghuman.org/
is a very good website that has an interactive documentary about human evolution, including rotating figures of famous skulls.

It is important to remember that evolution is only a process, and not a goal oriented mechanism.
We do not evolve "from" some things, and "into" other things.
Many people believe that evolution is when one species over time becomes more advanced than other species.

But a more correct way of thinking about evolution, is imagining gene pools like you would imagine the oceans of the world. When can you say for certain that an ocean ceases to be one ocean, and becomes another? There is no distinction between one area of ocean and another. The naming of oceans is arbitrary, just as the naming of species is arbitrary.

Humans are not more highly evolved than any other species on this planet. We are all still existing because we happen to be suited to a certain ecological niche that we have been able to take advantage of.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 7:40 am

What is Evolution, What is God, What is this World, So Who cares does anybody care. You must care to share to understand what Life is truly in the end. To understand Life and Living Life to care to Understand what Life and Living Life is in the end. That is truly learning to live life to become life and to make life for what it is truly for all that Live to see Life for Us all in the end.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 9:18 am

This debate has been done before- many times. If you really want to know what I think :roll:, I've debated this in a number of other places at WP. Or you can just look at the title underneath my name.

jdbob
Toucan
Toucan

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2006, 10:07 pm

God won't be offended if small details about the nature of existance and creation are discovered or developed to the betterment of the quality of life. It isn't important what happened, but the lessons that are learned from the s**t that supposedly happened. There are lessons taught by the bible, the lessons are true in many cases, and you will best benefit by seeing that those lessons are worth knowing and respecting. But if believing that the world has existed for more than a few thousand years will lead to scienfic development which will help people, then go for it. Just because there was no(single) little boy and wolf doesnt mean it isn't wise to not cry wolf when there is no wolf.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 8:53 pm

But besides that, personally i love the concept of evolution. It is so nifty. And it isn't just limited to biology. I don't clearly understand why some people try to see evolution and natural selection as seperate concepts. Evolution is the consequence of natural selection. Personally i like the redundant truth behind the idea of natural selection. Those beings which are better adapted to survive - survive. Those that are not adapted to survive - die. This is not a law of biology, this is a law of physics, of reality.

Lets take an example in culture. Suppose a people decide that the only way one can lead a moral life is to cut off your testicles to reduce your sex drive? After 70 years the culture dies out from a lack of children. And incase there are those of you who want to see the otherside of that coin. Suppose a people decide that sex should be the only other activity besides things required to continue survival - food, shelter, ect. They pay no heed to safe sex, and all die out from sexually transmitted diseases - although this is not really guarenteed since people can f**k a lot sooner than is acceptable in this culture, and it is possible to breed fast enough to out survive sexually transmitted disease. They wont live happy, but they will continue. Present example? Africa.

Think of all the groups of people(clubs, political parties, social arrangements) which don't exist anymore because they became obsolete, or unpopular, or wouldnt adapt?
Ever heard that video killed the radio star? Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, radio adapted, but there really arent radio stars any more.

Pretty much the entire world can be understood through the context of evolution. And while it would be foolish to try to create morals based on it(IE, the strong deserve to survive, so you dont have to feel guilty about crushing the poor under your heel), it does allow you predict more reliably the path and future of all human societies.

The one that really interests me is that the next level of evolution may be conscious manipulation. When i say this, others always point out that we could f**k up conscious manipulation and kill us all. But that is the naturally deselected option. There ALSO exists the possibility that a species which alters its own genes consciously could become more adapted to survive than the species which doesnt.

And the reason why this actually deserves a new level is because evolution in its own is based on adaptation of currently existing models, over the course of millions of years a lot of the bugs get worked out, but ever see those fleshy fingers on cats arms which seem to do nothing? That is probably because the ancestor to cats have that many fingers, but now the arm of the animal is simply better adapted to not have that finger further down. But the genes for that many fingers are still in there. It was just that the genes that control placement have been adapted.
Natural evolution is effective because literally what it does is zillions of trials and errors. Creature number 1 has alteration A - it dies, Creature number 2 has alteration B - it dies, creature number 3 has alteration C - it lives. Except think in terms of millions and billions.
Humans have a problem solving technique that is not as thorough, but much quicker. Inductive reasoning. And using this we could make changes in our genes which otherwise could not have occured - or occured so quickly - due to the methods of natural evolution.

So i think this is all very exciting.