Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ascan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 1:49 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
People with AS have a high incidence of suicide, yes...

I can think of at least three people from this place and other AS sites who've topped themselves in the last few years. As it's only generally the case for regular posters where details of their demise would find its way back to the membership at large, then there are probably many others who've suffered a similar fate, without any of us realising it.

lavender35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2009, 2:02 pm

I lost a good aspie friend to suicide, plus another two who went to the same special school as I did. Its the stigma of mental illness thats a problem more than anything. If someone breaks a leg or ends up in a wheelchair for life, they'll get sympathy willy-nilly but for the likes of us its the usual patronizing "Oh, chin up" or "Pull yourself together" stuff. Learning disability is probably a bigger issue than physical disability and part of it is the stigma.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 3:14 pm

lavender35 wrote:
I lost a good aspie friend to suicide, plus another two who went to the same special school as I did. Its the stigma of mental illness thats a problem more than anything. If someone breaks a leg or ends up in a wheelchair for life, they'll get sympathy willy-nilly but for the likes of us its the usual patronizing "Oh, chin up" or "Pull yourself together" stuff. Learning disability is probably a bigger issue than physical disability and part of it is the stigma.

I think it's also the problem talking to people. Not only that aspies are less likely to say anything to anybody, but that if they do, it's less likely to be expressed correctly, so they may not be taken seriously or may get the wrong kind of help. And even if the verbal expression is correct, if the outward emotional signs don't fit with what's being communicated, people may be less likely to take it seriously.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 3:31 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I always provide sources if asked, sinsboldly; I sometimes may have to look them up or search for them again, as my memory is better for facts than it is for locations, but they're there. You've always gotten an answer, and you've rarely asked me, so don't lie.

I'm speaking of professionals assuming that's it's undiagnosed Asperger's. I can't recall where I read it, but I'm 100% sure I could find the paper/quote with a simple search; typing in "suicide" and "Asperger's" in Google will probably yield the page I recall the fact from.

Here you go, from eMedicine (which is the clinical source):

Quote:
In cases of unexpected suicide, Asperger disorder is a strong possibility.

since you didn't supply your source, I will. this is a real pet peeve of mine because people quote out of context all the time, and it's kind of patronizing to expect people to google the source of a quote when you're appealing to authority to support your view.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/912296-followup - paragraph 2

"they" are a small group of researchers, not the medical community at large.

TheDuck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2009, 3:51 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
I think it's also the problem talking to people. Not only that aspies are less likely to say anything to anybody, but that if they do, it's less likely to be expressed correctly, so they may not be taken seriously or may get the wrong kind of help. And even if the verbal expression is correct, if the outward emotional signs don't fit with what's being communicated, people may be less likely to take it seriously.

i agree

Had a problem with my leg when i was a kid (was born with a hole in my femur) no one believed me till the Xray. Same thing when i dislocated my shoulder no one believed me. I know that physical pain is not the same as what would cause someone to suicide but I am guessing symptoms of depression or such could be overlooked.

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 6:51 pm

Can't speak for everyone else. I can tell you my experiences. I think about suicide when my AS is particularly bad. I'm more NT-like on most days, and every once in a while I kind of degenerate into a depressed sulking anti social person with lots of negative thoughts. (Why that happens is a discussion for some other time.) Anyway while I'm like that I think of suicide frequently, especially when I'm overwhelmed with unwanted sensory inputs, or overwhelmed with attention or requests from other people. I also know that I would never actually commit suicide. But I do think about it on my bad days, and then just as quickly dismiss the thought as nonsense because I know I'll get better again.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 9:16 pm

bhetti,

Check out all of the citations; it's a valid source (I know of two doctors who bring it up on their computer during sessions too). And I also provided the link, if you so happen to go back and read.

Anyway, it says the same thing, and it's not out of context (I fail to see what your point is too):

Quote:
An increased risk of suicide is observed, with risks possibly rising in proportion to the number and severity of comorbid maladies. Asperger disorder is probably undiagnosed in many suicide cases because of the dearth of awareness of the condition's existence and the ineffective and unreliable tools used to identify it. Therefore, people with Asperger disorder who commit suicide are probably reported as having other or undiagnosed psychiatric problems. In cases of unexpected suicide, Asperger disorder is a strong possibility.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

31 Jul 2009, 9:30 pm

I read somewhere (I can't remember where, so don't ask) that it's undiagnosed aspies that are more likely to kill themselves than those who are diagnosed, but on the whole it seems that those with AS are more prone to get depression regardless of whether or not they are diagnosed. Also, because more males than females are diagnosed with AS and more males than females successfully kill themselves, it would make the "Aspies are more prone to suicide" statement stronger. Still though, that's only what the statistics say. I'm just the "messenger".

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2009, 10:58 pm

I was skimming thru this thread and wondered if Emedicine does, in fact, say "unexpected suicides could be undiagnosed AS" (more or less) so I did a google search using the keywords "unexpected suicide asperger's emedicine" and found this link:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cach ... l=en&gl=us

I haven't read the article but according to google, it does say that unexpected suicides are suspected to be undiagnosed Asperger's.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 2:56 am

Anxiety and Depression is common in aspies so yea.

Locustman
Toucan
Toucan

01 Aug 2009, 5:26 am

I agree. Poeple with AS are at a higher risk of developing secomndary disorders like depression than NTs are, so it's sadly inevitable that some of these cases will end in suicide - especially if misdiagnosed.

As a sad postscript, an aspie aquantance of mine disappeared from his London flat almost a year ago and hasn't been since. Admittedly, he may just have gone AWOL in another country - he's done that before and returned - but the fact that he left the lights turned on in his home before going missing doesn't fill me with optimism.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 7:41 am

Going by the level I've enjoyed life and that thoughts of suicide are always in the background and (fairly rarely) in the fore ground as well, I suspect suicide and autism/AS are fairly linked.

I accept that life might change, but if it does not then there will come a time when the chances have basically run out. Complete abandoment of hope is unlikely to lie closer than 15 to 20 years away, but it is ever creeping closer.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 8:54 am

Nothing personal, but I have about heard enough.

Are Aspies prone to suicide?

Given the fact most Aspies are human,

Then Yes, most Aspies are Prone to human challenges.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 8:29 am

Danielismyname wrote:

You've only asked twice, and I provided it both times; once with a statistic on individuals with HFA in institutions, and now this. . .

Again my point goes whizzing over your head. Not all Aspies are diagnosed, so grandiose statements talking about the stats for ALL Aspies is just junk.

Last edited by sinsboldly on 04 Aug 2009, 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damaged
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Aug 2009, 8:30 am

Additional information - or viewpoints - regarding this case from the Huffington Post, August 1:

Asperger's Syndrome is characterized in part by obsessive and compulsive behavior and the failure of the sufferer to empathize with others' emotions, including distress. Much has been written about Gary McKinnon -- the UFO-fanatical British hacker who allegedly caused $500,000 worth of damage to Pentagon and NASA computer systems and caused a major breach of security -- and to his Asperger's. But you have to wonder whether he is the most acute case in this whole sorry tale.

Obsessive and compulsive behavior? An absence of empathy? It sounds like the British and American governments are the ones with the far more serious case of Asperger's than Mr McKinnon.

As the doctor who diagnosed him, Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, has said: "We should be thinking about this [the hacking] as the activity of somebody with a disability rather than a criminal activity."[...]