I'm worried that my nephew may be autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 4:23 am

My Brother who seems to be NT has a 2 yr old son about to be 3 at the end of this month. I've just recently found out that I was autistic about lets say 1 1/2 years ago and have been getting information about why do I do some of the things I do or act a certain way. So i've been observing the way my family acts for a little bit now. My nephew seems to do things in patterns like when running outside playing he runs back n forth like he's pacing sometimes. He likes opening drawers & doors alot. (sometimes 5-20 minutes straight) We've been working with him to stop that habit because it gets annoying after awhile. Not too long ago he began talking. He is with a speech therapist helping him. He seems to be improving but still only can say a few words. And He only says one word at a time but it seems like he just repeats what I say rather than him saying it on his own and building a vocabulary. He walks on his tip toes still, sometimes he runs around the house several times, I haven't really seen how he plays with other kids because I don't get to see him that often. He doesn't respond to his name, avoids eye contact sometimes, and sometimes he doesn't seem like he hears you at all. Sometimes he babbles (like starts talking but it's not english it's just babble u can't understand it).

I just don't wont him to grow up autistic like me cuz my life has been real lonely and depressing. I don't want him to go through the same struggles in school that I did with trying to make friends. Mothers & Fathers or anybody that be around autistic children how do the children act? Do they do the same things?

Last edited by Brandon-J on 01 Aug 2009, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 4:47 am

yes sounds like it to me.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 7:14 am

As we know, autism does run in families. It's good that you will be there to support and understand this child.

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 7:17 am

Can't say whether he's autistic, but sure looks like he has some traits. However, if he has autism, he can get treatment like occupational therapy, social skills group (when he's older), etc. Besides, there are now support groups, play groups etc. where kids with autism get togehter. If your nephew is diagnosed as a child, I think it can be easier than you have it if you were diagnosed as a teen or adult.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 7:39 am

Seems like he is. Though there is a big difference in how things are now and how they were even ten years ago as regards those on the spectrum. Also, as said by other people on this thread, you'll have an idea of what kind of problems he'll face and be able to help.

There are also some things that can be done when he learns how to use the words. If he is taught social skills at an early age, he'll have a better time of it in school (if he's not being home schooled). And there are other things, if the parents know about it they can be more alert to the possibility of bullying for example and sending him to a school with an anti-bullying policy. Good luck to you and yours.

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 8:44 am

A lot of the symptoms seem language based, like the echolalia (repeating what you say) and babbling. This could be part of verbal dyspraxia or some other speech impairment. Seeming not to hear you could also be a speech/processing thing, or attention. I don't know what his receptive language is like, but if he doesn't seem to understand you or look at you it could be that he doesn't really understand what you are saying. If there seems to be receptive problems, look up developmental dysphasia. When I read about this, a lot of the symptoms are very autistic like. This could only be language, so I wouldn't jump to autism yet. What does concern me is the door thing and the walking on toes. These could just be things that he likes to do for whatever reason, however it isn't typical behavior.

He would be worth watching, but it just may be language based. If you are AS he could have some neurological similarities but not to the extent for it to be AS. I have AS traits, however I'm definately NT.

Good luck! At least he has you to understand him if he does end up on the spectrum!

SteveeVader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2009, 10:17 am

My sister's son warren aka my nephew does the door opening and closing thing especially with our patio doors so I would not be worried especially about that young children have deep interests in mechanisms no matter how simplistic e.g. washing machines to and he is perfectly fine

You'll be surprised by how many young kids go to speech therapy I went lol and this was te early 90s a lot more go today and as MommyJones said who has my full Stevee Stamp of approval for not jumping on bandwagons but taking in the logical approach especially as yo said it seems language based he may be dyslexic severely as this especially in juvernile cases at young age has difficulties with the echoclia and also general handling of words other than that he seems completely healthy speech delays are quite common in today's society

And remember the dangers of psychosymatic thought as this means the "Oh yeah it could be autism those seem like signs" with young children and parents its a dangerous approach to things as it ca lead to shielding the child and being overbearing

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 12:42 pm

That sure sound like it to me. I have autism my self and so does my dad. My boyfriend also has it. My dad only just got diagnosed a few mouths ago by everyone that knows him knew becuase of the way he acts.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2009, 12:46 pm

Yes, some signs there. Warrants checking out. But it is probably easier to grow up autistic today than it was ten or twenty or fifty years ago... at least now you are allowed to go to school, work, and have laws that will punish people for discrimination, usually. Plus, the child will probably have you to go to, if you want to build your relationship with him. It's often very useful to have an older autistic to show you the ropes. Even if he is autistic, he can definitely have a happy life.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Aug 2009, 1:07 pm

oh no he has autism. how dirty, better run for the hills because people with autism are weird! :jester:

Gambit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Aug 2009, 4:46 am

If he is on the spectrum I hope you provide the support and guidance so that he avoids the 'same struggles' you went through.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:11 pm

he might be autistic

...but I suggest,keep on observing him.He might change when he grew up.He's still young 8)