Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AussieAspie
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2009, 8:26 am

I can think of heaps, here are a few to start with:

Forgetfullness, NT sais "Don't forget tomorows meeting starts at 9pm" 5 mins later, AS sais "What time is the meeting tomorow?"
Robotic replies, Yes No Yes No Ok Whatever, 3 bags full sir
Lack of emotion, NT "How do you like your new t-shirt?", AS "well it fits just fine"
Lack of concentration, NT "My doctor siad I should be ok in about 6 weeks", AS "Go away you pesty fly", "what did you say?"
Lack of coordination, AS jumps into bed with NT and smacks NT in the head with his arm, "Sorry darling"
Being silent, NT "Whats bothering you today?", AS "Nothing I'm ok"

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 9:35 am

I don't have any of those behaviors.

What I think bothers NTs the most is that they interpret our behaviors as having the same underlying meaning that the same behavior would have in an NT who is mean, selfish, egocentric, suspicious, careless, oblivious to the feelings and wellbeing of others.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Aug 2009, 9:49 am

AussieAspie wrote:

Forgetfullness, NT sais "Don't forget tomorows meeting starts at 9pm" 5 mins later, AS sais "What time is the meeting tomorow?"
Lack of emotion, NT "How do you like your new t-shirt?", AS "well it fits just fine"
Lack of concentration, NT "My doctor siad I should be ok in about 6 weeks", AS "Go away you pesty fly", "what did you say?"
Lack of coordination, AS jumps into bed with NT and smacks NT in the head with his arm, "Sorry darling"

Your examples are hilarious, Aussie. And I can relate to every one of them - except for smacking my NT in the head with my arm - although I did laugh inappropriately and uncontrollably when my guy somehow got his foot caught between the box-spring and the bed frame and the whole freaking bed collapsed on him. It really happened at the wrong time 8O , although I guess there would never be a right time for that sort of thing. :lol:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 10:24 am

AussieAspie wrote:

I agree totally. Especially about being a bit absent minded and forgetting mundane things like when appointments are scheduled, if there are quite a few to remember.
When I go to the store I always forget one thing, even if there's a list I get everything out of order and overlook at least one item :/

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 10:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ cosmiccat

Ana, do you mean to say that...that doesn't happen only to me? I make the list, then look at it seven times at the store, then forget one or two items. :lol: :lol:

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 10:57 am

The whole not caring about the emotional state of others thingy would probably annoy them to no end.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:07 pm

AussieAspie wrote:

I can relate. I'm incredibly absent minded. Of course I don't like the term "absent". My mind is never absent, just in a more interesting place.

I'm also guilty of doing the robotic replies when I'm not really listening carefully.

Them: "Could you empty the dish washer?"
Me: "Yea sure"
Them several hours later: "Did you empty the dish washer?"
Me: "Yup"
Them: "It's still full"
Me: "What's still full?"
Them: "The dish washer, I asked if you could empty it and you said you would."
Me: "I did? Sorry I didn't remember."

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 12:22 pm

marshall wrote:
AussieAspie wrote:

I can relate. I'm incredibly absent minded. Of course I don't like the term "absent". My mind is never absent, just in a more interesting place.

I'm also guilty of doing the robotic replies when I'm not really listening carefully.

Them: "Could you empty the dish washer?"
Me: "Yea sure"
Them several hours later: "Did you empty the dish washer?"
Me: "Yup"
Them: "It's still full"
Me: "What's still full?"
Them: "The dish washer, I asked if you could empty it and you said you would."
Me: "I did? Sorry I didn't remember."

This is such a common occurance for me. I'm always getting told to do things and I'm like "yep" even though I wasn't all there and forgot what it was straight away. So ages later I'm getting told off and I say "but you didn't tell me!" and they'd be like "stop lying, you said yep!" me: "I forgot!"

waltur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 1:21 pm

heh. i bump my nt all the time.

02 Aug 2009, 1:26 pm

Pacing.

Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2009, 1:54 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Pacing.

Exactly. My NT classmates always tell me, "Sit down you're making us nervous and you're going to wear a hole in the floor!"

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 2:38 pm

In my experience, what most annoys NTs about me are:
1. Meltdowns, because I can scream when I'm overwhelmed.
2. When I can't speak: people think I'm ignoring them, when I can't talk.
3. My stims: people say it distracts them, but to be honest my parents and diagnosing psychologist were the only people who get really annoyed at this.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2009, 2:39 pm

Not wanting or needing to make eye contact with someone

and

Sometimes not saying anything in reply to someone becuase you have nothing to say (you are still thinking about it)

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

jamieg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2009, 3:06 pm

people get mad at me when they tell me to just find things to do and a week of arguing i learn there was some specific thing they wanted me to clean or fix

they should just tell me directly to wash the dishes or move the book shelf since i am not a psychic friend and i am not able to just find things that need to be done

i need a list to even know what needs to be done and how you want things to be when i do get that thing done

02 Aug 2009, 3:23 pm

Aspienoid wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Pacing.

Exactly. My NT classmates always tell me, "Sit down you're making us nervous and you're going to wear a hole in the floor!"

I can understand how they feel because when my husband paces around our apartment, it makes me feel anxious so no wonder it bothers people. So I try to follow their needs. We wouldn't want people annoying us with things they do like noise they are making or the sounds they are doing so we must not do the same for them by things we do or why should they follow our needs if we refuse to do theirs?

arcticmelody
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Aug 2009, 5:10 pm

Being silent really gets to them, and then replying with a monotone "I'm great", when they ask you how you are annoys the heck out of them

Obsessiveness really gets on their nerves
And inappropriate giggling/laughing really offends them, as I have learned the hard way, even though I still can't control it