Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 12:03 pm

Thanks again for the tips and feedback everyone.

activebutodd, I use vinegar in the dishwasher too as it helps keep the machine from building up with our hard water. I also use baking soda in the washing machine to keep the soap to a minimum.

Also wanted to add that I was still not feeling well when in my bathroom/shower. Found out it was my shower curtain! The PVC my doctor says is toxic to a lot of people who become chemical sensitive. I'm wondering if I wasn't predisposed to this happening. Autism already makes us so sensitive to light, sounds and other stimuli, whose to say not extra sensitive to chemicals too, you know? So now I'm about to install a sliding tub door. Lowes people were laughing at me that I couldn't do it by myself, I told them I'll show them the pictures when I'm done (that is if the caulking fumes don't kill me) 8O

ed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2009, 12:28 pm

Wrackspurt wrote:
Thanks again for the tips and feedback everyone.

activebutodd, I use vinegar in the dishwasher too as it helps keep the machine from building up with our hard water. I also use baking soda in the washing machine to keep the soap to a minimum.

Also wanted to add that I was still not feeling well when in my bathroom/shower. Found out it was my shower curtain! The PVC my doctor says is toxic to a lot of people who become chemical sensitive. I'm wondering if I wasn't predisposed to this happening. Autism already makes us so sensitive to light, sounds and other stimuli, whose to say not extra sensitive to chemicals too, you know? So now I'm about to install a sliding tub door. Lowes people were laughing at me that I couldn't do it by myself, I told them I'll show them the pictures when I'm done (that is if the caulking fumes don't kill me) 8O

I was sitting outside this morning, and could smell the neighbor's dryer sheets from about 50 yards away!

I also just changed the shower curtain yesterday, and yes, it does have that awful chemical smell. It'll go away in a few days tho...

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Sep 2009, 5:51 pm

ed wrote:
I also just changed the shower curtain yesterday, and yes, it does have that awful chemical smell. It'll go away in a few days tho...

I learned to hang the new vinyl shower curtain outside for a few days, to allow it time to "outgas." It really works, especially if it's humid.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2009, 9:20 am

^ The PVC curtains still release fumes even after you can't 'smell' (aren't aware) of them anymore. My curtain was several years old and run through the washing machine many times. I still reacted to it after being chemical triggered, not before though. Just pointing out that even if you aren't sensitive to them they are still toxic.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Sep 2009, 4:19 pm

I have heard that it can take years for something toxic like a vinyl shower curtain or particle board furniture to outgas. :? :( I have multiple chemical sensitivities, so usually something or other is irritating my nasal passages.

I hung vinyl garment bag outside for a week, to get rid of the more obnoxious levels of fumes.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2009, 10:09 pm

I think many people are sick or ailing in one way or another, because of all the toxic chemicals are modern life contains. I've started using as many natural products as I can find and afford. And I've found Seventh Generation and Dr Bronners to be the most effective and reasonably priced natural alternatives.

If you drink Diet Coke with aspartme google the articles that state that this concotion especially when heated turns into a formaldahyde. One I read talked of the dangers of US troops drinking them overseas as they often spent hours setting on hot tarmac before shelved and consumed.

Btw*This is an awesome page for homepathic folks with many different articles www.naturalnews.com

psych
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2009, 10:22 pm

why have a vinyl shower curtain? :?

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2009, 10:44 pm

psych wrote:

I am looking into a more natural shower curtain. The one that I have now, is supposed to be anti-mildew, but I am tired of it. I recently ordered a large garment bag for storing my winter things in, and it is made of that same vinyl. :(

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2009, 4:04 pm

Wrackspurt wrote:
psych wrote:
Wrackspurt wrote:
The only brand I can use now is Bounce Free (Bounce outdoor fresh too - though it's so strong I only use that if the store is out of the Free).

why use dryer sheets at all? :?

unless you know its 100% natural and safe, wouldnt 1st hand exposure to easily avoidable chemicals possibly risk developing the spectrum of allergies further?

Yes, good point and have stopped. Now using the dryer balls with good success. We couldn't go completely without as living in socal (very, very dry climate) dryer static is a problem here.

Dryer static from dry climate?
Get an electronic house or room humidifier.

And, with more humidity in the air you just might notice less sinus problems as well.

For those who use dryer sheets or fabric softener to make their clothing softer, clothing that becomes stiff after washing it is usually from not getting all the detergent out. Many washers offer a double rinse cycle but if not, reset the washer manually to rinse a second time.
A little dab of vinegar in the rinse might help too.

They also sell washers that spin faster than normal which gets more of the soapy water out of them.
If yours doesn't do that, there's laundry spinners on the market under $200. that spin wet laundry from a washing machine so fast that buckets of additional water comes out and the laundry is almost dry (before putting it in an automatic dryer).

An additional benefit of the laundry spinners is that one's clothing needn't be exposed to long periods of high heat in an automatic dryer. That means less shrinkage and less fiber damage.

macushla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Sep 2009, 4:18 pm

psych wrote:

Because they might be more fashionable and less expensive than most canvas shower curtains and tend not to mildew as easy?

I've found if we wipe down the shower walls,
remember to keep our canvas shower curtain spread until dry,
and run it through the washer at least once a month mildew isn't a problem for us.

Out of the washer a canvas shower curtain can't go into an automatic dryer if its 100% cotton. It'll shrink.
Just hang it back up wet on the rod to air dry.