Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 8:53 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92U6OnVZG3U[/youtube]

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2009, 9:46 pm

They should get an actual Aspie to play an Aspie in a movie. Maybe I shouldn't judge it just based on the ad, but this guy doesn't seem like an Aspie (he doesn't have that "Aspie-vibe"). I also don't like movies that center around relationships, so I probably won't see it. Thank you for posting it though- it's always interesting to see how AS is portrayed in the media.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 1:02 pm

bump

antemeridiem
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2009, 2:59 pm

I'm in the UK and this film was discussed on the radio yesterday. The person talking about it actually said they didn't see the need for the film as it was only there to make people aware of aspergers syndrome and everybody knows what aspergers syndrome is so it's a waste of time. This time last year I didn't know what aspergers was and I have it(diagnosed last november) neither did any of my family and most of them still don't. I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but from what I've found most people haven't heard of it and the presenter of that radio show needs to check their facts.

ddunkin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2009, 3:18 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
They should get an actual Aspie to play an Aspie in a movie. Maybe I shouldn't judge it just based on the ad, but this guy doesn't seem like an Aspie (he doesn't have that "Aspie-vibe"). I also don't like movies that center around relationships, so I probably won't see it.

I'd make a terrible actor, and wouldn't react naturally in that environment so it wouldn't be too accurate at all, as I'm sure others wouldn't either. If you watched carefully enough in any movie, no one is actually 'who they are' on screen. You can see some of the same personal traits throughout other movies (that they don't have control over), and bleed right over into interviews. No one is a master of hiding these things, just very good.

The lack of eye focus seems too forced for me (many of as at least glance quickly, my eyes go crazy looking all over the place). Reminds me more of when I was 20, and the messes I got myself into when I first met my wife, so I relate to this.

antemeridiem wrote:
everybody knows what aspergers syndrome is so it's a waste of time

Wow, really? Maybe I just don't get out much, but the people I do ask about it have no clue. I had never heard of it before last year, and neither did they.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 4:10 pm

It will serve to enforce a more rigid stereotype of what Asperger's looks like... :roll:

The most accurate portrayals happen in movies that don't have the A-word stamped on them

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 4:14 pm

antemeridiem wrote:
I'm in the UK and this film was discussed on the radio yesterday. The person talking about it actually said they didn't see the need for the film as it was only there to make people aware of aspergers syndrome and everybody knows what aspergers syndrome is so it's a waste of time. This time last year I didn't know what aspergers was and I have it(diagnosed last november) neither did any of my family and most of them still don't. I don't know how it is in the rest of the world but from what I've found most people haven't heard of it and the presenter of that radio show needs to check their facts.

You're right, the presenter of that radio show REALLY needs to check their facts. Does this person know many people who know what Asperger's syndrome is? Because whenever I tell people that I have an autistic disorder, suspected of being AS, people are like 'what's that?' or 'so you're like Rainman then?' Not enough people are truly aware of it in my opinion.

ddunkin

05 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
It will serve to enforce a more rigid stereotype of what Asperger's looks like... :roll:

Now that I think about it, no movie is really that interesting without exaggeration, so of course they have to stereotype it and build it up to more than it could normally be. Specifically, those focused on relationships. Seriously, who really has as much drama in a relationship as they do in movies and television?

Action movies have unrealistic car chases and stunts. Horror movies have excessive blood and suspense, and queued music. Romance movies have some major interpersonal conflict that has to be addressed. Who makes a bank robbery movie where the guy points a gun, gives a letter, then just gets caught around the corner and put in jail? That isn't interesting nor does it take 1.5-2 hours to explain.

They are focusing the camera on one key aspect of a person, so of course it is going to come across as more extreme than it really is.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 7:12 pm

If I had £5 for every adam thread...

I am looking forward to seeing it, true it probably will be exaggerated to death but it's hollywood after all, a realistic aspie movie would be boring because it would just be someone browsing the internet through most of it then maybe spend a part of it at college or where-ever just sitting around doing sod all.
I'd like to see an aspie film with a female lead for a change, a non-geeky interest so instead of maths it's art or something, and are very emotional instead of a robot. Oh and I'd want supporting cast with a couple of aspies in it, with diverse personalities and aren't just maths obsessed nerds that talk fast.

flamingshorts
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2009, 7:40 pm

Yeh having romance central to a movie highlighting a condition where lack of romance is a common outcome frustrates those who want to "send a message". But thats the way movies are. Indiana Jones isn't a realisitic archeology professor. A real archeology professor probably never has such adventures and is in the same building all day.

Perhaps there have been Aspie movies before. How about Amadeus. :) Movies about van Gogh. Maybe Gandhi? The list goes on.