Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 1:59 pm

Adults with childlike obsessions say "Aye"!...and share yours... I am rapidly becoming obsessed with puppets...(The sock creatures I have made for years were not puppets, but dolls....)
All I can think about is making more Puppetrina movies.

Kellatrix815
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2009, 2:34 pm

LOL, puppets? That's kinda cute. Hmmm...I'm really into manga (and anime) right now, and I feel stupid because when I go to get more (which has now become a weekly habit) I'm the oldest person in that section of the store. And when even my 12 year old son calls me "ridiculous" and laughs at me (in a nice way) I feel kinda dumb about it. I know there's grown-up manga, but that's not really the kind I like. And the obsession with comics goes further than that. I like all kinds of comics and then, when I go to the comic book store and see a bunch of 10 year old boys reading the same things I'm reading...again, I just feel silly. I won't even get started on my Harry Potter obsession...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 2:39 pm

I hate the word "obsessed" because to me that implies that you wish you could stop thinking about the thing, but you can't. I LIKE thinking about the stuff that I think about all the time, and have no desire to stop. Still, there's no more appropriate word that I can think of, so "obsessed" it is. Ha ha!

For me, it's Legos. Specifically, it's the little people, like the guy in my avatar. They are called mini-figures, and I just love them. We've got hundreds of them, sitting on little bleachers. I have one favorite, who I consider to be the actor in my Lego movies (although I actually use different mini-figures depending on what I want the character to look like). I built a little room for my actor guy to sit in during the day, and my son made a wonderful bed for him. I knitted him a tiny blanket. I put him in his bed at night, and put the blanket over him. In the morning, I stick a cup of tea in his hand and put him in one of his chairs, or set him up so he can look out the window, or stand him by his bookcase so he can pick out something to read. Oh, and I made him a little piano to play. In fact, he's been sitting at his desk all morning; I think I'll put him at his piano now. :) I also took him with me to see the latest Harry Potter movie, and held him up by my face the whole time so he could see.

Now, I KNOW he's just a piece of plastic, but I feel kind of bad if I forget to put him in his bed, because it doesn't seem right to make him sit up all night. Once in a while, I give him a Guinness, which is a black Lego cylinder piece with a little beige piece on the top, for the head.

I don't think I'm all THAT weird about it. There are plenty of mini-figures lying around the house, face-down, or with no heads. It annoys me a little that my kids allow that to happen, but I generally just live with it. I pretty much keep my "obsession" to myself, too.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 2:45 pm

I'm obsessed with ballet.. even though I can't dance.
It's not a totally childlike thing to be obsessed with, I guess, but usually it's an obsession for either a little girl or a dancer. Not a 25-year-old with little coordination.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 3:51 pm

elderwanda wrote:
I hate the word "obsessed" because to me that implies that you wish you could stop thinking about the thing, but you can't. I LIKE thinking about the stuff that I think about all the time, and have no desire to stop. Still, there's no more appropriate word that I can think of, so "obsessed" it is. Ha ha!

For me, it's Legos. Specifically, it's the little people, like the guy in my avatar. They are called mini-figures, and I just love them. We've got hundreds of them, sitting on little bleachers. I have one favorite, who I consider to be the actor in my Lego movies (although I actually use different mini-figures depending on what I want the character to look like). I built a little room for my actor guy to sit in during the day, and my son made a wonderful bed for him. I knitted him a tiny blanket. I put him in his bed at night, and put the blanket over him. In the morning, I stick a cup of tea in his hand and put him in one of his chairs, or set him up so he can look out the window, or stand him by his bookcase so he can pick out something to read. Oh, and I made him a little piano to play. In fact, he's been sitting at his desk all morning; I think I'll put him at his piano now. :) I also took him with me to see the latest Harry Potter movie, and held him up by my face the whole time so he could see.

Now, I KNOW he's just a piece of plastic, but I feel kind of bad if I forget to put him in his bed, because it doesn't seem right to make him sit up all night. Once in a while, I give him a Guinness, which is a black Lego cylinder piece with a little beige piece on the top, for the head.

I don't think I'm all THAT weird about it. There are plenty of mini-figures lying around the house, face-down, or with no heads. It annoys me a little that my kids allow that to happen, but I generally just live with it. I pretty much keep my "obsession" to myself, too.

That's awesome! :)

My semi-new obsession with Puppetrina is shared between me and my very good friend...(the guy who appears in all the videos)....we constantly talk about Puppetrina like she is a real person...Even though he "quit" Puppetrina in the first episode, he always breaks character and acts posessive and refers to her as his girlfriend. I am about to start staging more elaborate productions that involve planning and sets...I have started building the sets...um...my friend wants me to make Puppetrina t-shirts..and of course i will oblige...(i do a bit of screen printing)

(this is in addition to my huge collection of toys)...many of the toys will appear in the movies.

I just gave Puppetrina a makeover...I happen to have accumulated a nice hoard of vintage doll clothes..and I found an antique red wool coat with real mink trim, and also a wig that is the same color as Puppetrina's original hair..but curly.....and then some tin doll-sized steamer trunks...so soon she will be off to the big city...

I also plan on branching out and making more Puppetrina-like puppets...

Kellatrix815
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2009, 5:22 pm

Oh my gosh! This thread reminded me (with all the talk of toys) of something that happened about a year ago, before I found out that I was an Aspi. Mom had found my old case of Barbies in a closet when she was cleaning her house out, so she returned this box to me and from the moment I got it back home and opened it up I was...obsessed, lol...and nearly every day for about six months, I'd find some time to shut myself up in my bedroom--while my son was busy with something else and while my husband was at work--and "play" with my dolls. It was wonderful. All I wanted to do was dress them up, fix their hair, arrange them in their box & do it all over again the next day. The old clothes that were in the box with them was not enough, after a while, I'd obsess about buying new clothes for them and a few new dolls to put in the box with them (as if they were lonely...?). Finally, it began to take up more and more time and I started to feel like I was going crazy, lol. Now I realize why that happened. Come to think of it, I haven't opened that box in a while...

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 6:05 pm

I forgot to mention how much I love "Pinky and the Brain" and "Danger Mouse." Not exactly obsessions, but we get the episodes from Netflix often, and I really like them. Probably a lot more that the average 42-year-old woman, I suppose. Narf!!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 6:18 pm

oooh....I love Danger Mouse....I play the theme song on the ukulele sometimes.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 6:48 pm

I'm obsessed with an old children's TV series. I'm even going to visit the place it was shot this week. My other obsessions are very serious in comparison (e.g., physics and mental and developmental disorders).

darby54
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Aug 2009, 6:56 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I just gave Puppetrina a makeover...I happen to have accumulated a nice hoard of vintage doll clothes..and I found an antique red wool coat with real mink trim, and also a wig that is the same color as Puppetrina's original hair..but curly.....and then some tin doll-sized steamer trunks...so soon she will be off to the big city...

Kellatrix815 wrote:
... Mom had found my old case of Barbies in a closet when she was cleaning her house out, so she returned this box to me and from the moment I got it back home and opened it up I was...obsessed, lol...

Oh yay - dolls! :D Similar thing here. A few years ago I went through some old boxes from my childhood and found all of my dolls, Barbie, Ken and the gang, and my old babydolls, including my very first doll ever from when I was a toddler. She was in baaad shape so I gave her a makeover, re-rooted her missing hair, new eyelashes, bought her a new dress, the works.

Well I was totally smitten and launched into my doll obsession, which has yet to subside. I have a few hundred dolls now, most of them vintage, and have spent countless hours hunting and collecting the clothes that go with them, re-rooting, re-stringing and otherwise making-over the ones that needed it, and putting together my personal "doll museum." The really nice/valuable ones are in big curio cabinets and the rest are sitting around my bedroom with my stuffed animals.

Oh yeah, and vintage troll dolls, too. Yes, parts of my house definitely look like a kid lives here :D

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 7:02 pm

I mentioned Puppetrina...but only glossed over my toy collection, which includes over 100 Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls...countless sock monkeys....um.....I specialize in vintage, handmade and handmade vintage toys....One of my favorite pass times is "Hunting for Raggedies"...Ironicly, most kids don't seem to like these kinds of toys these days. It is really fun when I meet a little kid who does....we will have a blast.
I keep them all sorted into different categories...which I have on display at my venue.

I am excited about getting into puppet-making..I have a bunch of tin-cans that I have hoarded and I am gonna find a way to turn them into puppets.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2009, 7:07 pm

I'm almost 21 and I've got apatosaurus plushies alongside my bed, especially this big one intended for 3 yr olds I call Dinah. I can't sleep without her.

And occasionally I'll pull out my old boxes of Legos and build something with them. I stopped collecting and playing with them back in '04, but maybe someday I'll go back to collecting them again, and maybe when I've children, I'll build a city with them.

Kellatrix815
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Aug 2009, 7:42 pm

darby54 wrote:
Well I was totally smitten and launched into my doll obsession, which has yet to subside. I have a few hundred dolls now, most of them vintage, and have spent countless hours hunting and collecting the clothes that go with them, re-rooting, re-stringing and otherwise making-over the ones that needed it, and putting together my personal "doll museum."

Oh dear...you're re-awakening my obsession! I wanna play too!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 7:56 pm

Flushed Away and toy Routemasters.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 9:46 pm

Pokemon and Lego. Also, I still enjoy reading many children's books. I don't think I ever quite grew up.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2009, 10:18 pm

Yeah classic games from my childhood been on the brain lately. The avatar shows one of my favourites.