Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 12:50 pm

I personally wish there was no such thing as selling flowers, other than live ones in the ground. I just feel sorry for flowers that are bound to die, and they are not even dying for food, just for pleasure.

The most painful part is throwing the flowers away when they aer withered. Its like they are hurting, so don't you want to help them? But no, instead you throw them away where they don't even have a water and people will walk over them. I was walking down the street yesterday, and saw fhalf withered flowers lying on a road people walk on. I took them off hte road and put them on a side. Then I went to the store, bought a bottle of water, put them in a water and let that bottle stay on a side of the walk. I would have totally brought them home, I just didn't want to do it because I didn't want people to decide I am gay.

I guess these flowers reminded me of my girlfriend I had for two years, she was very sick for few months straight with anemia due to excessive bleeding. I was there taking care of her. She was in graduate school at the time. As a result of her not being able to come to her lab, the department didn't like her at that school and they didn't help her to prepare for her prelim. When she felt her prelim she was very depressed and suicidal. I was in a different state at that time in order to work with my advisor. I will never forgive myself I didn't tell my advisor I have to go home early to help her out. Anyway, one thing she said when she was suicidal was a simple phrase "I am so lonely".

I can just hear these flowers say the same. When she was sick she lost all her friends, everyone forgot about her. Just like these flowers when they were half withered they were thrown away. Throwing them away is like throwing my girlfriend away on the road right when she couldn't even walk so that people can all walk over her and break her bones ... Now I know that it is silly because they will die anyway, but then again, why pick them up on the first place? Why not just sell flowers on the ground.

Just for the record, I am not vegetarian. I don't remember feeling sorry to eat meat, because I don't have to see it die. But if I did see it die, may be I would be one. But I do feel sorry for these flowers; un-like meat, not only do I see them when they are alive but I have to adore them, and then heartlessly throw them out to die.

Tomasu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:01 pm

^^ I believe that was a very lovely, touching story Roman, thank you. ^^ I must say that I very much agree with you concerning flowers and do not understand why they are not sold within soil. ^^ However, I am also vegetarian I believe. ^^ I believe the logic is very similar in that killing non-human animals for meat and unrooting flowers is unnecessary killing in my opinion. ^^ Sorry if this is silly of me however.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 4:25 pm

Roman that was very touching. I actually know how your previous girlfriend felt as I was quite ill once and a lot of my friends forgot about me too.

Going with the flowers thing though, I don't particularly like how they are sold and what they stand for. They are supposed to be a romantic gesture, a token of love. How is it romantic to hand someone a bunch of flowers that have now been, essentially, given a death sentence by the people that sell them? And if love is meant to last, why give someone dying flowers to represent this 'everlasting love'? It makes no sense. I would like a proper garden before anyone ever buys me flowers, and the flowers they get must be plantable in soil.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 5:46 pm

I feel the same way, as well.

vee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2009, 8:54 pm

My AS hub feels just the same. But if you grow flowers you understand that picking flowers encourages new buds to grow, therefore is a way of keeping the plant alive and stimulate's new flowers to blossem. Unpicked flowers lead to the plant making seeds, and stops flowering before it's time.
therefore picking flowers encourages new flowers to bloom. It's a healthy eco system.

flowers for thought

Vee

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:29 pm

Yeah I feel attached to thing people don't normally get attached to I do feel bad about flowers dieing like that for pure decoration. That's why I love the great plains Indians way of honouring an animal by making sure to use all of it.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:46 pm

vee wrote:
My AS hub feels just the same. But if you grow flowers you understand that picking flowers encourages new buds to grow, therefore is a way of keeping the plant alive and stimulate's new flowers to blossem. Unpicked flowers lead to the plant making seeds, and stops flowering before it's time.
therefore picking flowers encourages new flowers to bloom. It's a healthy eco system.

flowers for thought

Vee

Think of it this way. If you only have one kid, do you feel sorry about not having more? No. But if you have 4 kids and kill one of them, do you feel sorry for the one you kill? Yes. So in the same way if the plant doesn't put on as much flowers because I don't pick them up, thats fine. BUt if I do pick them up I feel sorry for the ones I pick up, regardless of how many others it will put forth.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm

Ebonwinter wrote:
Yeah I feel attached to thing people don't normally get attached to I do feel bad about flowers dieing like that for pure decoration. That's why I love the great plains Indians way of honouring an animal by making sure to use all of it.

Actually I am in India right now and thats where I saw a flower on a street. In fact, in some respects Indians are even worse. In some food places they put a huge leaf on a table and then put a plate on that leaf. I can't help but feel sorry for that leaf.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2009, 11:58 pm

:(

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 5:22 am

Aah, same here. D: I don't really like to receive flowers. Happily, nobody likes to give me them. I do sometimes get live plants from friends though, which is cool, except I don't have the greenest thumb and they don't always live long.
But recently I found a live plant in a pot on top of a dumpster. It was kind of wilty and gross looking but it was still alive. It had looooooong viney bits trailing off it, as long as me. I think a shop had it for decoration and threw it out or something. I took it home and trimmed and watered it and now it looks much better. Well no, it's still a little pathetic even though it's healthy and perky, but I'm not a fancy shop that has to look nice, so I don't mind. I'm happy to have found a plant that doesn't seem to want to die on me.

I used to feel sorry for food, too..
like, at lunch, at school, I wouldn't want to throw any food away, so I'd eat it and get way too full. I started to get kind of fat, even. XD;;; So I started just keeping sandwich-halves in neat stacks in my locker, instead. OTL;;; It doesn't make as much sense as the flower thing though, since food is all the way dead.

I think this is how people become pack-rats..
I'm not one though.

PS I think Ebonwinter meant the Native American type of Indian.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 7:19 am

wigglyspider wrote:
Aah, same here. D: I don't really like to receive flowers. Happily, nobody likes to give me them. I do sometimes get live plants from friends though, which is cool, except I don't have the greenest thumb and they don't always live long.
But recently I found a live plant in a pot on top of a dumpster. It was kind of wilty and gross looking but it was still alive. It had looooooong viney bits trailing off it, as long as me. I think a shop had it for decoration and threw it out or something. I took it home and trimmed and watered it and now it looks much better. Well no, it's still a little pathetic even though it's healthy and perky, but I'm not a fancy shop that has to look nice, so I don't mind. I'm happy to have found a plant that doesn't seem to want to die on me.

I used to feel sorry for food, too..
like, at lunch, at school, I wouldn't want to throw any food away, so I'd eat it and get way too full. I started to get kind of fat, even. XD;;; So I started just keeping sandwich-halves in neat stacks in my locker, instead. OTL;;; It doesn't make as much sense as the flower thing though, since food is all the way dead.

I think this is how people become pack-rats..
I'm not one though.

PS I think Ebonwinter meant the Native American type of Indian.

Yes I did

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 8:07 am

wigglyspider wrote:
But recently I found a live plant in a pot on top of a dumpster. It was kind of wilty and gross looking but it was still alive. It had looooooong viney bits trailing off it, as long as me. I think a shop had it for decoration and threw it out or something. I took it home and trimmed and watered it and now it looks much better. .

So how did you make sure it doesn't die, despite the fact that it doesn't have roots? May be I can use your strategy on the flower I found.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2009, 5:04 am

vee wrote:

flowers for thought

Vee

Vee's hubby here, before I realised I had Aspergers I couldn't understand why anyone would buy a sick person flowers. To me once a flower is cut it's dead and to give an ill person dead flowers didn't make sense, it's like rubbing salt into the wound. I'm sure the wife must have thought I was crazy when I'd bring a whole potted plant home on valentines day instead of a bunch of flowers. I did eventualy start to buy Vee (dead) flowers because I knew she was so happy when I did this even though it was against my principles. Once I began to realise I was an Aspie it all became clearer and I have no problem buying flowers now, it's what them weird NT's like.
One solution to buying flowers is to buy silk ones. They look like real flowers but they wont die.