Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 8:32 am

I have the same problem as at least two of the posters here (can't be bothered to quote...) with music. Its like most noises I can tolerate, like a long sustained humming noise which is bassy, but if you take the same bass noise and make it go into a rhythm, I go insane. I don't know why. Same with most things for me except REALLY high pitched noises that no one else seems to hear. Those bug me whether they are in a beat or not! Ironically I am quite a talented musician/singer! Weird isn't it!

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 11:22 am

I hate noises..Especially those screaming kids...

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 12:41 pm

I forgot to say, it's not just an aspie thing. There's a condition called hyperacusis which is basically what aspies have but possibly even worse (I have it) that ANYONE can get. Ironically it is often caused by listening to loud music! Shouldn't you go deaf then? Our bodies are so weird... :?

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 6:27 pm

It's a real aspie trait but it doesn't affect me all that much because I'm mostly deaf. :D

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 4:09 am

I can't tell you have frustrating noise is to me. When I sit outside to enjoy fresh air, the sound of cars agitates to me to the point where I muffle it out with music or ear plugs.

Can't stand the fluctuation of television and other sounds either. I cringe like something terrible is going to happen and then.....loudness down to softness.

But I also think I have an audio processing disorder. I can here people real well but I can't hear their words.

Wikan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2009, 6:24 am

Battery chargers.. I can't stand the high frequency of cell phone battery chargers when sleeping. I spent about half a year sleeping with a pillow over my head before I found the source of the noise.

southwestforests
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 7:12 am

Just barely being able to hear TV or radio from adjoining apartment - the effect is like something coming closer behind you and it keeps getting closer but never arrives.
absolutely makes me tense and jumpy

normally hearing and seeing a TV - I have to leave.

blenders, sirens, garbage disposals, they all hurt.

ticking clocks - keep me on edge

sound effects in my model trains - mostly stay off.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 7:37 am

The particular phone in my flat ringing makes me jump out of my skin and want to smash it because my heart is pounding. It's a very sudden but continuing blare at an unnecessary volume. I'm going to try and get the volume turned down.

Funny you should ask this really. :lol: I was just poking at the fluorescent lights with a broom handle to try and shut them up before I read this thread, because the noise they were making was so loud. Not subliminal at all, just very loud and hard to ignore.
Also their dazzling brightness hurts my eyes and makes my head sting. In my dream house the are no fluorescent lights, but I'm going to have to wait a long time for that reality. :x

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 9:22 am

I'm okay with noise, but the clicking noise that moths make drives me mad :lol:

Over the years I have got less sensitive to sound, and since my mother has Neurofibromatosis Type I, and so does my sister, I'm afraid that I might have Type II (there's a 50% chance I have it). The hallmark of that condition is deafness caused by vestibular schwanomma (tumour on the eight cranial nerve). But maybe I don't have it :)

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 10:36 am

I have huge problems with noise, but it's type of noise that bothers me as opposed to volume of noise. Some quite loud noises that other people find annoying or distressing I barely notice, but other noises drive me insane even if I can only just hear them.

Eg:

Not bothered by: storms, high winds, traffic, trains (I live near a railway line, and I actually find the sound of the trains pleasant and relaxing and wish it was a busier line)

Can't bear: high-pitched children's voices, other people's TVs/music (especially, as others have said, hearing the repetitive drum beat)

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2009, 3:24 pm

activebutodd wrote:
The particular phone in my flat ringing makes me jump out of my skin and want to smash it because my heart is pounding. It's a very sudden but continuing blare at an unnecessary volume. I'm going to try and get the volume turned down.

I always startle badly, too, when the phone rings. I have found that I actually despise the ringing of modern telephones. Recently, I purchased a retro phone that has the old-fashioned bell type ringer. I still jump a little, when it rings, but it is such a pleasant sound that I don't mind it half as much as the other types of ringers.

activebutodd wrote:
Funny you should ask this really. :lol: I was just poking at the fluorescent lights with a broom handle to try and shut them up before I read this thread, because the noise they were making was so loud. Not subliminal at all, just very loud and hard to ignore.
Also their dazzling brightness hurts my eyes and makes my head sting. In my dream house the are no fluorescent lights, but I'm going to have to wait a long time for that reality. :x

I used to rent an apartment that had a fluorescent light in the kitchen. I couldn't stand the noise and the flickering, so I found a safe place to place a bedside lamp in the kitchen. If I needed extra light while preparing food, I brought my floor lamp in, too. That way I could turn off that annoying light.