Florida Christians protest atheist billboard

Page 1 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 7:05 pm

Non-believers can be good people too? How offensive.

Quote:
An atheist billboard in Florida has resulted in community protests and a call for the sign to be banned, but wait until you see what’s on (or as is the case isn’t on) the sign.

Unlike campaigns in Europe which included the slogan “there probably isn’t a god,” the Florida campaign says “Being a good person doesn’t require God. Don’t believe in God, you’re not alone.” According to the Christians in the area, saying that non-believers can be good people discriminates against Christians.

Here’s where it gets even weirder: the residents object because (and I’m not making this up) African-Americans live in the area, and a shop owned by a born again Christian is nearby.

Local media reported that Team of Life community activist Essie “Big Mama” Reed brought her students out to protest it Wednesday afternoon.

“Nothing else matters, but that sign needs to come down. In the name of Jesus,” Big Mama chanted, as she led her students in protest.

She said the sign affects something much deeper than business. “I don’t know the reason for putting this sign up,” said Big Mama. “It says ‘Do not believe in God.’ How are we going to make it? Look at our schools, everyday. Everyday there’s something going on. Kids are out here killing each other, kids are here using drugs. Who else are they going to believe in?”

The atheist group behind the sign rightly pointed out the hypocrisy in the protestors, saying that they would like the community to show them the same tolerance they fought for during the civil rights era. “The women and blacks in this neighborhood, they’ve been discriminated before, in the recent past, as early as 30, 40 years ago,” a spokesman said “and yet, they have no problem discriminating against another group, whether it be gays or atheists.”

Atheists = your new African Americans.

Well, I'm just happy I don't live in America.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 7:17 pm

I don't think it's so much America but where you live in America.

The south has been known to be very religiously fueled although I think a lot of that's changing.

In places like New York...stuff like this wouldn't cause such a "religious" reaction.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2009, 7:28 pm

I live in NY and I don't think people here would take kindly to this sort of advertising either. I love the sign though. The discrimination against athiests and agnostics is really bad. I have religious family members who won't even acknowledge my children because we did not have them baptised. Apparently the whole "love thy neighbor" thing is really just a suggestion.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 11:00 am

"Nothing else matters, but that sign needs to come down." :lol: Thanks, Henriksson.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 1:10 pm

What many people don't know is that there are hundreds of commandments in the Bible, not just ten. One of them is "Do not oppress foreigners", and I adhere to that, as well as "Love thy neighbor."

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 1:25 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
What many people don't know is that there are hundreds of commandments in the Bible, not just ten.

Er, I'm pretty sure most people know that.

BTW, the 'Ten Commandments' is more like 30. :P

Quote:
One of them is "Do not oppress foreigners", and I adhere to that, as well as "Love thy neighbor."

I bet there are lots of commandments you don't adhere to at all, like giving all your possessions to the poor. Blindly following biblical morals is a pretty lousy moral system, I think you agree.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:12 pm

Don't get what seems to be the problem, it is true you can be a good person without God o.O . And obviously the "you're not alone" comment is to motivate people to go out and talk to like-minded people instead of staying in their house agonizing at how different they are! :wink:

Truly ^.- I don't see what's wrong ~

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:25 pm

Henriksson wrote:

I bet there are lots of commandments you don't adhere to at all, like giving all your possessions to the poor. Blindly following biblical morals is a pretty lousy moral system, I think you agree.

There are 613 commandments (some positive, some negative) given in the Hebrew Scriptures. There is no commandment among the 613 to give away one's possessions. The tithe (ten percent) is supposed to take care of the orphans, widows and other poor.

God does not demand as much as the Internal Revenue Service.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:31 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

There are 613 commandments (some positive, some negative) given in the Hebrew Scriptures. There is no commandment among the 613 to give away one's possessions. The tithe (ten percent) is supposed to take care of the orphans, widows and other poor.

ruveyn

But then again, the IRS doesn't create hurricanes, earthquakes, plagues etc. and it may put you in prison for tax evasion but never sends you to Hell for eternity.

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:35 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

ruveyn

Well, I assume we were talking about the whole Bible, not just the Old Testament.

Luke 12:33
"Sell your possessions and give to the poor."

There is also the following quotes from the Bible:

Matthew 5:40-41
"And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well."

Matthew 5:41
"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles."

Matthew 5:42
"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

Matthew 19:21
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Mark 10:21
Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Luke 6:29
"If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic."

Luke 6:30
"Give to everyone that asketh thee; and from him that taketh away thy goods ask not again."

Luke 14:33
"Any of you who does not give up everything he has cannot be my disciple."

Luke 6:24-25
"But woe unto you that are rich! For ye have received your consolation. Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep."

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:49 pm

phil777 wrote:
Don't get what seems to be the problem, it is true you can be a good person without God o.O . And obviously the "you're not alone" comment is to motivate people to go out and talk to like-minded people instead of staying in their house agonizing at how different they are! :wink:

The problem is that that lady cannot see the possibility of morality without belief. That lady is incensed that her god(and her beliefs) are threatened with irrelevancy by that billboard.

Plus shes a bigot and a hypocrite.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:10 am

Fuzzy wrote:
phil777 wrote:

The problem is that that lady cannot see the possibility of morality without belief. That lady is incensed that her god(and her beliefs) are threatened with irrelevancy by that billboard.

Plus shes a bigot and a hypocrite.

Being an Aussie, when I had a holiday in America I got into a discussion about religion in Louisiana before I knew what a "religious nutjob" was. It was a conversation I didn't want to have but you know how proselthyzers (yeah, sue me for the spelling) can be. When he came up with the line "I found God while I was in prison. Jesus keeps me from doing some TERRIBLE things..." all I could say was "Keep on believing! Praise the lord" or something along those lines and high tailed it into the nearest bar.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:37 am

I often hear about atheists being discriminated against, which I find curious. On my college campus at least, atheists and agnostics don't seem to face any particular discrimination. I would guess that right-wing Christians face more opposition than atheists, but that may just be the nature of a predominantly liberal university. From what I've observed, a rather large number of people seem, for all intents and purposes, non-religious even if they maintain nominal ties to a religion.

If I wanted to nitpick the sign, I would question how they're defining "good person," but I assume they're relying on a vague societal consensus for proper behavior. I do object to atheists trying to assign the term "free thinkers" to themselves. Holding one particular belief or another says nothing about whether a person thinks for themselves. Many scientifically-minded individuals have rejected belief in God largely because that is the "in" thing to do among their peers, and there are plenty of religious people who did not arrive at their beliefs through blind indoctrination.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 8:58 am

Orwell wrote:
I often hear about atheists being discriminated against, which I find curious. On my college campus at least, atheists and agnostics don't seem to face any particular discrimination. I would guess that right-wing Christians face more opposition than atheists, but that may just be the nature of a predominantly liberal university. From what I've observed, a rather large number of people seem, for all intents and purposes, non-religious even if they maintain nominal ties to a religion.

If I wanted to nitpick the sign, I would question how they're defining "good person," but I assume they're relying on a vague societal consensus for proper behavior. I do object to atheists trying to assign the term "free thinkers" to themselves. Holding one particular belief or another says nothing about whether a person thinks for themselves. Many scientifically-minded individuals have rejected belief in God largely because that is the "in" thing to do among their peers, and there are plenty of religious people who did not arrive at their beliefs through blind indoctrination.

I find it odd that you discount habits of logical thought as being influential in having atheist beliefs.

sg33
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2009, 9:37 am

Henriksson wrote:
Well, I'm just happy I don't live in America.

Trust me, city folks (in Boston, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, etc) are generally liberals who hate right-wing BS as much as you do.

I am chagrined that I have to share a nationality with slack-jawed inbred fools.

Try watching Rachel Maddow or the Daily Show, or read Mark Morford's column... please!

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 9:45 am

Sand wrote:
I find it odd that you discount habits of logical thought as being influential in having atheist beliefs.

I don't deny that such habits play a role for some atheists, but many atheists give little or no thought or examination to their beliefs. There are a great many science students who renounce religion because at some point they were instilled with the silly notion that, for instance, evolutionary biology and religion are incompatible, or that evolution proves religion false. And of course a degree of peer pressure comes into play as well, as it is seen as uncool for a science- or math-oriented person to believe in God. These people are not examining the case for or against. They are, just as the most indoctrinated Christian, accepting an argument from authority, with the only difference being in the choice of authority to follow. Further, a lot of atheists simply have erroneous beliefs as to what they're rejecting.