Florida Christians protest atheist billboard

Page 11 of 13 [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 6:00 am

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Sometimes it's a relief
To make fun of a belief
When beliefs are simply fragile and naive.
A belief is not a person
To never put a curse on,
It's just a bunch of stuff you might believe.
If it's not something of sense
It should acquire no defense.
It has no right to scam and deceive.

But that's the thing, each person holds their own views as true.
You see your side as the correct side, which is naive in itself.
All people see what they do as true, it doesn't make it true,
but to all people the appearance of truth seems to be the same as truth.
For you, you have justified bashing others' views.
Dude, do you know how secure that seems? It doesn't.

I find it highly amusing that you should think I care about giving out impressions of my security. Be reassured I am not torn by doubts, I prize them highly and only feel others should be strong enough to seek doubt as a treasure trove of new insights and discoveries where petrified minds only cling to what they believe to be secure out of fear and ignorance blocked over with papier mache´ flimsy fabrications. One must sail the seas of doubts and fish continuously for new viewpoints and wonderful strange ideas. That's the true adventure of being alive.

You aren't therefore you think not. Contrapositive of Descartes' most lingering sentence.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 7:56 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Sometimes it's a relief
To make fun of a belief
When beliefs are simply fragile and naive.
A belief is not a person
To never put a curse on,
It's just a bunch of stuff you might believe.
If it's not something of sense
It should acquire no defense.
It has no right to scam and deceive.

But that's the thing, each person holds their own views as true.
You see your side as the correct side, which is naive in itself.
All people see what they do as true, it doesn't make it true,
but to all people the appearance of truth seems to be the same as truth.
For you, you have justified bashing others' views.
Dude, do you know how secure that seems? It doesn't.

I find it highly amusing that you should think I care about giving out impressions of my security. Be reassured I am not torn by doubts, I prize them highly and only feel others should be strong enough to seek doubt as a treasure trove of new insights and discoveries where petrified minds only cling to what they believe to be secure out of fear and ignorance blocked over with papier mache´ flimsy fabrications. One must sail the seas of doubts and fish continuously for new viewpoints and wonderful strange ideas. That's the true adventure of being alive.

You aren't therefore you think not. Contrapositive of Descartes' most lingering sentence.

I truly admire your tremendous capacity for imperceptivity. To doubt is to be truly alert and alive and bequests a very sharp sense of existence as you never know when and where things are going to pop. Its people who lull themselves into dull acceptance of commonplace untested beliefs who numb themselves out of existence.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 8:12 am

mgran wrote:
ruveyn, I assume that you have studied the Bible in depth, and are a qualified psychologist, with a sub specialty in historical research?

I was just posting to say, having read the OP, I'm a Christian, and I wouldn't protest against the sign. In a country with freedom of speech, people should be free to say whatever they want, even if I don't agree with it.

If people feel so strongly about it, they could use their right to reply, and design their own poster. :idea:

I read TNCH (Hebrew Scriptures) in the Hebrew and Aramaic. I have also studied the Oral Tradition (Talmud) when I was younger. What does psychology have to do with anything? Anyone who claims The Lord spoke to him clearly is either a liar or a wing nut. The non-Terrestrials who spoke to Abraham and Moses are long gone.

ruveyn

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 8:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
mgran wrote:
ruveyn, I assume that you have studied the Bible in depth, and are a qualified psychologist, with a sub specialty in historical research?

I was just posting to say, having read the OP, I'm a Christian, and I wouldn't protest against the sign. In a country with freedom of speech, people should be free to say whatever they want, even if I don't agree with it.

If people feel so strongly about it, they could use their right to reply, and design their own poster. :idea:

I read TNCH (Hebrew Scriptures) in the Hebrew and Aramaic. I have also studied the Oral Tradition (Talmud) when I was younger. What does psychology have to do with anything? Anyone who claims The Lord spoke to him clearly is either a liar or a wing nut. The non-Terrestrials who spoke to Abraham and Moses are long gone.

ruveyn

What makes you sure they're gone?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 9:35 am

Sand wrote:

The aluminum foil isn't effective at keeping them from sending him messages.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 10:42 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Sand wrote:

The aluminum foil isn't effective at keeping them from sending him messages.

If the Visitors (assuming they ever existed) were still around, we now have the means for detecting them. Since we do not detect them, assuming they are not playing hide and seek with us, then we can presume if they ever were here they no longer are. I believe the Visitors have made their dent on our species and we are essentially on our own and we have been for at least 2000 years, perhaps a little longer.

We are no longer in the cradle. We are in grade school now and we can make our own way.

Let me give you a cautionary story. You are no doubt familiar with the Antikythera Device, a corroded bronze artifact found of the island of Antikythera in the Aegean. Later examination showed it to be a gear based calculator at least as sophisticated as that produced by Blaise Pascal in the seventeenth century, c.e.. Now just suppose some day we haul up the remains of a matter-energy converter embedded in some ocean rock and dated to say, ten thousand years ago. We have not found such an artifact but we should be prepared intellectually to deal with such a find, if we ever find it. There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamed of in your philosphy.

Or think of this. Suppose civilization collapses about our ears and it takes ten thousand years to get back to where we are now. Ten thousand years from now men will go to the Moon and what will they find? The trash and discard of the Apollo Expedition and The Footprint, all of which was forgotten in the hypothetical ten millenia. What well those people say or think? Be prepared, I say.

ruveyn

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 10:58 am

greenblue wrote:
gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
If you believe that the billboard shouldn't be allowed because it teaches acceptance of people who don't believe what you believe, then you are a bigot.

More like, they wouldn't want it to be allowed beause they find it offensive I believe, if that's the case, does that mean they are bigots too?

Quote:
If you are merely siding with the Christians by default, that is rather ignorant.

It can be for convenience.

You completely missed the point. The billboard merely advocates acceptance of non-religious people - in what way is that offensive to the religious? It doesn't say that the non-religious are superior, it merely says that they (/we) are not inferior.

I have no problem with religious people, until they start pushing their agenda and beliefs on everyone else, which is exactly what these people are doing.

y es como un semestre"

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:16 pm

Henriksson wrote:
That sounds suspiciously like, I don't know, bias.

The same exact kind of bias that you show when you assume your opinions are correct.

If it really is so objectionable to assume that you are correct, then please explain to me how anyone can reasonably hold any opinion whatsoever.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:26 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

The same exact kind of bias that you show when you assume your opinions are correct.

If it really is so objectionable to assume that you are correct, then please explain to me how anyone can reasonably hold any opinion whatsoever.

Hang on a minute here...this has gone from "assuming someone is correct because they are a Christian" to "assuming you yourself are correct". Those are two completely different things.

y es como un semestre"

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:29 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Henriksson wrote:

Er, what the hell are you talking about now?

You said that you would agree with X over Y in a situation Z, where 'Z' is a situation where you don't know any specifics. That's the very definition of biased.

Is there something wrong with your reading comprehension?

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:34 pm

Making assumptions about people without knowing the facts is never good.

You should be careful about it, but I can't see any reason to think it can never be good.

Quote:
You can't "know what most Christians believe".

Not true.

Christians believe, for example:
There is a God.
God created the universe.
God is loving.
People were made 'in God's likeness'.
People, therefore, should also be loving.
It is possible to pray to God, and people should do so.
There is such a thing as right-and-wrong in an objective sense.
God is the source of morality. (although there is disagreement on exactly how this works)
The bible was inspired by God. (again disagreements on the specifics, but not the general idea)

I'll stop there, because I could go on all day like this.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 3:44 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
Making assumptions about people without knowing the facts is never good.

You should be careful about it, but I can't see any reason to think it can never be good.

Quote:
You can't "know what most Christians believe".

Not true.

Christians believe, for example:
There is a God.
God created the universe.
God is loving.
People were made 'in God's likeness'.
People, therefore, should also be loving.
It is possible to pray to God, and people should do so.
There is such a thing as right-and-wrong in an objective sense.
God is the source of morality. (although there is disagreement on exactly how this works)
The bible was inspired by God. (again disagreements on the specifics, but not the general idea)

I'll stop there, because I could go on all day like this.

So do most Christians believe that they are superior to everyone else and that anyone who states otherwise should be censored? I don't think so.

y es como un semestre"

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:00 pm

Hang on a minute here...this has gone from "assuming someone is correct because they are a Christian" to "assuming you yourself are correct". Those are two completely different things.

I am not advocating agreeing with someone because of a label that they wear. I'm saying that it is reasonable, if you know that someone thinks very much like you do, to assume that you would agree with them over someone who thinks quite differently from either of you.

Assuming that someone who agrees with you is correct is not much different from assuming that you yourself are correct.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:06 pm

Henriksson wrote:
Er, what the hell are you talking about now?

Same thing I've been talking about the entire time.

Quote:
You said that you would agree with X over Y in a situation Z, where 'Z' is a situation where you don't know any specifics. That's the very definition of biased.

Not quite. I said that it would be reasonable to assume that I would agree with X over Y, if X tends to agree with me and Y doesn't, without further information. Obviously, the presence of further information could change things.

That isn't the definition of bias, it's the definition of being on whatever side that you happen to be on.

Ancalagon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:09 pm

So do most Christians believe that they are superior to everyone else and that anyone who states otherwise should be censored? I don't think so.

No.

I'm not sure how you got this out of what I said.

number5
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2009, 4:22 pm

Ancalagon wrote:

I am not advocating agreeing with someone because of a label that they wear. I'm saying that it is reasonable, if you know that someone thinks very much like you do, to assume that you would agree with them over someone who thinks quite differently from either of you.

Assuming that someone who agrees with you is correct is not much different from assuming that you yourself are correct.

To assume makes an ass out of u-m-e :)