SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 1:06 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
*****UPDATE*****

I bought a Wii.

Sweet.

I've been playing mine a bit lately, been working on RE4, and I'm still trying to improve my shoddy Rock Band drum skills.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 2:40 pm

I know it's too late but RROD can easily be fixed for free. Just send it back and Microsoft will do all the work. I guess I'm an Xbox "fangirl" because I don't really like any other consoles....but I definatly play them if I have the chance. PS3 tends to give me a headache. The games are boring. Wii is too casual for me but I think it's decent. Xbox 360 can keep my attention for hours. It has so many features and great online play. I think the shooter genre caters to the 360 and the PS3 is more RPG and Action/Adventure. I also think the PS3 is all about graphics, and waaay too expensive. Who cares about blue-ray?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 10:24 pm

I am more into the casual stuff. I already got Mario Kart Wii and the Price is Right.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2009, 11:01 pm

I've been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum on my Xbox. That game is amazing.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2009, 10:25 am

360, easy to mod :)

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2009, 1:31 am

Confused-Fish wrote:
360, easy to mod :)

As easy as dropping a file onto an SD card to create a buffer overflow & install BooMii, DVDX, The Homebrew Channel? :P

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 2:19 pm

I suspect Tim Tex might have a little bit more difficulty modding his, though.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2009, 6:59 pm

What's modding?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2009, 11:44 am

"Mod" is short for "modify". Originally, you could easily soft mod a Wii's internal firmware to run homebrew on it, all you needed was an SD card and a copy of Twilight Princess.

GeorgeM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Sep 2009, 7:46 pm

kxmode wrote:
None of those. PC is the best.

This

Easily upgraded, free online play for most games, the list goes on

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2009, 8:09 pm

GeorgeM wrote:
kxmode wrote:
None of those. PC is the best.

This

Easily upgraded, free online play for most games, the list goes on

They're easy to upgrade, true, but very expensive. Hell, a new video card costs as much as a console, let alone CPU and RAM upgrades. Not to mention that sitting back in an easy chair looking at a 40+ inch TV beats sitting at a desk looking at a monitor. Plus, PCs only get 1 or 2 exclusive games a year worth owning. There are far more console games worth playing unless you're a fan of MMOs.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2009, 11:02 pm

My Wii came in the mail today. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet because I have a lot of studying to do.

User1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Sep 2009, 6:45 pm

Xbox 360 is the best rounded one, and the clear choice for any more hardcore gamers. It also has exclusive titles like Halo, Gears of War, and Splinter Cell. It has a great selection of games for sale on disc, as well as arcade style games for download. It is the best media center connecter and connects easily to PCs. It has many side features in addition and has excellent online multiplayer service. This will probably be the longest lasting choice, as they frequently perform online software updates and don't plan to replace the hardware until 2015, at the minimum. Also, Xbox Live is interlinked on the PC and Console, so some PC games may be played over Xbox Live

PS3 has the best graphics capabilities. The problem is that no games for the PS3 use them that well. Get the PS3 if you want a blu-ray player and want to use it for your home theater, or if you are a fan of some of its exclusives like God of War, etc. They also perform software updates, though not as frequently.

Get the wii if you are a more casual gamer or have kids. The wii has a motion controlled controller, but as a sarifice, it has a great design in games that were intended for the wii, but has bad versions of multi-platform titles and doesn't have good shooter games, racing games (without the additional wheel controller), etc. Wii has the worst graphics of the three

Prices
Xbox 360 : Standard - $249/Elite Version - $299
Playstation 3 : $299
Wii: $249 (There may be a price drop though)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2009, 9:26 pm

I installed it today, and enjoy it very much.

BloodRedFox
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Sep 2009, 1:49 pm

I own a Wii and a 360. I consider myself to be just a "gamer who enjoys gaming." I'm not loyal to any one company, but I did start gaming with the SNES.

Which one I'd recommend, I'm not completely sure. I own more games for my Wii than my 360, but that's only because I've had the Wii for a longer amount of time. 360's got better online gaming capabilities, but you've gotta pay for the Gold membership (which is the membership you need for playing against others online; if you have a Silver membership then you can still do things like download content and Xbox Live Arcade games, but you won't be able to do things like play Team Fortress 2 since that's a game that you NEED to play online), while the Wii's online is free (which is great for games like Mario Kart Wii and The Conduit). Wii's motion control capabilities are getting better thanks to the third parties finally starting to get it right, and Motion+ adds a new layer of realistic motion control (play the sword fighting in Wii Sports Resort and you'll see what I mean).

Yeah, I can't really give you a straight answer. Hope you enjoy whatever it is you choose, though.