Wii 37%  37%  [ 13 ]
Playstation 3 14%  14%  [ 5 ]
Xbox 360 49%  49%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 35

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 1:37 pm

After I graduate, I am considering purchasing my first new video game console in 18 years. Which of these three do you recommend?

Wii, Playstation 3, or Xbox 360.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2009, 2:56 pm

Go for the Wii. I have all three systems, the Wii is the one I got first, the year it came out and I haven't been disappointed once since. :]

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 2:58 pm

I was thinking the same thing myself.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:03 pm

What sort of games do you enjoy? Are you into action games, first-person shooters, RPGs, time-management games? Are you a casual gamer, or hardcore?

The Wii is great for casual gamers, who don't care that much about the graphics. There aren't many of the "hardcore" games on that system - mostly "No More Heroes" and "House of the Dead 2 & 3". Some great casual games in the time-management genre (my wife's favorite), like "CakeMania" and "MySims". There's also the "Cooking Mama" series, which is more of an action game, using cooking instead of jumping and running (try filleting a tuna, then cooking and draining rice, then wrapping specific sushi and sashimi recipes - all against a timer!).

The XBox 360 and Playstation 3 are both more for hardcore gamers, although they both have casual games as well. (I'm a big fan of Worms and Worms 2: Armageddon on the XBox.) The only edge that PS3 has is the built-in Blu-Ray player, if that's at all important to you. The only really interesting exclusive on either one is Halo 3 on the XBox, and Killzone 2 on the PS3.

All three systems are backwards-compatible with the last-generation iteration of their consoles; on the Wii, you can also download most of the titles for the NES, Super Nintendo, and N64 consoles - for a price, of course.

The Wii is the least expensive of the three, and the PS3 is the most.

Fidget
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2009, 3:30 pm

^^ Everyone says the Wii is for casual gamers, and while yes it does have the most casual party games and such, I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer, and I still have most fun with the Wii overall. The Wii is for everyone. :]

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 3:57 pm

Other, PS2.

JohnyCanadianArmy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2009, 5:12 pm

I own an Xbox 360 myself, nothing against PS3 but I can't think of a single PS3-exclusive I want to play aside from Metal Gear Solid 4.

From what I can see, there are a lot more First-Person Shooters on Xbox, something I enjoy.

All I need is my car, the open road and my Canon 5D mark II!

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Aug 2009, 8:29 pm

None of those. PC is the best.

The former things have passed away."

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2009, 11:38 pm

I like the Wii just because all of the really good 360 games are cheaper and (usually) have better graphics/framerate on the PC.

But that's just me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:16 am

What's the "Red Ring of Death"?

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

11 Aug 2009, 1:57 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What's the "Red Ring of Death"?

When you turn on your Xbox 360 and it dies a red ring of death appears around the power button like a halo. Here's some images courtesy of Google Images.

The former things have passed away."

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 3:44 am

I think I'll stick with a Wii then.

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2009, 4:19 am

Invest $300 in a Wii with Wii Sports Resort (or just the Wiimotionplus for $25)

It's embarrassingly easy to get homebrew software running on the Wii, & I wouldn't blame you if you accidentally 'backed up' a good number of ISO's onto an external HDD & hooked it to the Wii..

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 4:32 am

Personally, I can't stand the Wii. I can't think of 5 games on it that I'd want to play. The Wii is only good if you have a group of people that you want to play causal games with. If you want games with great stories, great graphics, and moving gameplay, get a 360 or PS3.

atari2600a
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2009, 5:32 am

Bataar wrote:
Personally, I can't stand the Wii. I can't think of 5 games on it that I'd want to play. The Wii is only good if you have a group of people that you want to play causal games with. If you want games with great stories, great graphics, and moving gameplay, get a 360 or PS3.

Or get Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 1/2/3, Metroid: Other M, etc

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 2:59 pm

atari2600a wrote:
Bataar wrote:

Or get Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda: TP, Metroid Prime 1/2/3, Metroid: Other M, etc

The Zelda game was good. I beat that before I sold my Wii. Not a fan of the 3D Mario games. I played the first 2 Metroid Prime games on the Gamecube and heard the 3rd one isn't that good. Other M, on the other hand, does have my interest.