Watching emotional movies: almost a sport.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 11:29 pm

I really love watching emotional movies, and going in to cry it up. However I find that watching emotional movies is much like handling an orgasm. You need to hurry up and and slow down and hold off the big emotional pulse all the time. Difficult, but very fulfilling. A lot of fun too, a good sport to get into.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 11:47 pm

Do you have a particular favorite emotional movie? I can't remember the last movie I cried about. Mostly, emotional movies make me uncomfortable because I don't understand them.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2006, 11:55 pm

I watched the iron giant over and over just yesterday. Annhilated 2 boxes of tissues.

And FYI, i tend to get emotional about non-chick movies, but i react to the movies just like(if not more dramatically) chicks are stereotypically supposed to react to chick-flicks.

The iron giant is a cute, curious intelligence, that is inhuman. I identify with this so much. It learns about humanity, and gains value of life, and ponders about death, and the concept of souls. He defies his role of a giant evil destructive robot in favor of being human. And he becomes greater than super man could ever be in the end.

Just thinking about it waters my eyes.

It is so beautiful.

I identify with movies and stories where some inhuman creature attempt to understand humanity, or become human. Short circut, bicentenial man, frankenstein, Data from star trek, the animatrix.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 12:06 am

You should watch 'Wit' - I'm largely unemotional and I cried from about the middle of that movie to the end . . .

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 12:06 am

Ah, I remember now. The last time I cried about a movie was Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark when the little monkey died after eating the poisoned dates. It was not the monkey's fault his master was a twit assasin trying to kill Indiana, and I remember getting so completely worked up (I was 15 at the time and hadn't had a problem with the movie before, or since then) that my dad took me out for ice cream while the rest of the family finished the movie.

But I get what you're saying. I don't cry over those types of characters, but I do understand them and hope for them, if that makes sense. I view their struggle as part of my own, I guess. (Oh, and I did get a little teary-eyed in Revenge of the Sith when Anakin makes his choice and slaughters the younglings. Such a waste, really.)

Maybe, in my own way, I am some kind of robot, eh? Oh well.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 12:10 am

animallover wrote:
You should watch 'Wit' - I'm largely unemotional and I cried from about the middle of that movie to the end . . .

I think I will. Probably this Friday night after Taekwondo lessons since I have nothing else to do. (gasp!) I was planning on reading Theory of Capitalist Development but I guess I can read that Saturday night.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 7:03 am

"i am sam" and "Of Mice And Men" made me tear up. Both of them are about mentally retearded people, which I find to be very sad. "A Beautiful Mind" may have gotten me pretty close to crying, I'm not sure. It takes a lot to make me cry.

venom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jan 2006, 10:01 am

The two themes that can make me tear up in movies are childhood/coming of age, and brotherhood/friendship/comradarie. Childhood innocence vs cold uncaring reality gets me every time.

Stand by me, at the end when Gordie is crying and Chris comforts him so caringly and concernedly. The friendship between Chris and Gordie has so many nice moments throughout the movie. Like when Gordie asks Chris if he thinks he's (Gordie) weird, and Chris says "yeah but so what, everybody's weird".

Spirited Away when the girl (forgot her name) realises that the boy is actually the spirit of the river that she fell into as a young child. And they're holding hands and falling through the sky, and her tears well up and fly up out of her eyes.

FLCL doesnt make me cry, but it is really nice and sincere.

Terminator 2, at the end when the John Connor doesn't want the T 1000 to go in the molten steel. "I know now why you cry, but it is something I can never do"

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 10:21 am

Beautiful Mind ... The Last Unicorn ... AI ... Iron Giant ... Princess Mononoke ... Finding Neverland ... The Return of the King ... yes, a lot of them involve something other than human. And good music.

That melancholy feeling can be wonderful.

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2006, 10:51 am

The last movie I got emontional about was "The Village"....Yes. Really, the village.
....toward the end, not the ending.

dexkaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 11:11 am

Lurker_Extraordinaire wrote:
The last movie I got emontional about was "The Village"....Yes. Really, the village.
....toward the end, not the ending.

The only emotion I had during that movie was , and I really can't explain why, because I don't know the reason myself. It just freaked me out.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 5:02 pm

And The Phantom of the Opera makes me want to cry. I'm more likely to just space out after it's over.

Sorce
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2006, 5:32 pm

Watching The Green Mile is one of the few times that a movie has made me outright sob. Superfights is an action movie that makes me cry everytime I watched it. There's this part where this drug enhanced wrestler that was the lead actor's hero realizes what a monster he's become and this is the only well done dramatic scene in the movie.

quietangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2006, 5:52 pm

I have been watching movies for years in order to emote. I even tear up when reading books. I have a hard times outwardly expressing emotion any other way.

Last tear jerker.... *scratching head... sam I am, extreme home makeover also gets me...

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2006, 4:07 pm

The only movie that I really actually cried all throughout the movie was when I first watched When A Man Loves A Woman. I just could not stop crying. I will cry at ends of movies, but that's your typical sad movie.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2006, 5:52 pm

I have the capacity(and i usually indulge in it) to cry in reaction to any even remotely emotionally charged book, movie or whatever. For instance, the opening cinematics for World of Warcraft make me want to cry. Although i cry because of the messages and themes of movies like Powder and Requiem for a dream. As opposed to simply their emotional charge, which all movies made in america have.