Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

10 Aug 2009, 4:19 pm

I just realised that some of the avatars that I thought were photos the person posting the message are actually filmstars or TV characters. I wondered if anyone else finds this disorienting? I don't watch TV or films very much so I am not familiar with the appearance of any but the most extremely famous people. Even then I have trouble recognising faces anyway. I would think that people who do watch a lot of TV might have trouble recognising TV stars from other countries.

In some cases, the picture appears to be a man when the poster is female or the other way round. I'm not sure if these are the people themselves or if they are filmstars. If it was a real picture of the poster, I'd want to know if they were male or female but I don't know why.

While I'm on the topic, I also noticed that a lot of people have photos of themselves with their eyes looking off camera, and I wondered if this is because they themselves don't like to look into a camera, or if some WrongPlanet inhabitants don't like eyes looking straight at them. If so, would it be easier if everyone did not look into the camera in their avatars?

I thought it might be useful to have some general chat around the topic of avatars, how do people feel about them and might it useful to have more guidelines.

Last edited by AuntyCC on 11 Aug 2009, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:45 pm

I have Sid in all of my avatars, because if people don't know about the character, they don't know whether he's male or female. I'm a woman who doesn't follow gender stereotypes, and with the clothes that I wear, people can't tell if I'm male or female. I also like to spike my hair, and most of my jeans are tapered, because they're gender neutral. I also feel more male than female, most of the time.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:47 pm

I've noticed the same thing, and it disorients me too. But then I tell myself ... well, I guess it shouldn't matter ... just read the post and don't be concerned with the picture.

Heck, I dunno.

And by the way, if you're wondering ... my avatar is me :)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:51 pm

Well said, Aunty. I agree, word by word! I thought it was just me, so I never said anything, but it annoys me very much.

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 4:54 pm

One more quick thought ... personally, I like knowing a person's age and location, too. I suppose neither matters all that much ... I just like it :)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 5:07 pm

AuntyCC wrote:
I just realised that some of the avatars that I thought were photos the person posting the message are actually filmstars or TV characters. I wondered if anyone else finds this disorienting? I don't watch TV or films very much so I am not familiar with the appearance of any but the most extremely famous people. Even then I have trouble recognising faces anyway. I would think that people who do watch a lot of TV might have trouble recognising TV stars from other countries.

Totally. And it's just the association, too. I kinda have this embarrassing habit of reading celebrity gossip magazines (Kris refers to them as "brain killers"), so I know most of the actors and actresses, but the avatars can still be.. disorienting.

CaroleTucson wrote:
One more quick thought ... personally, I like knowing a person's age and location, too. I suppose neither matters all that much ... I just like it

It just kinda helps put things in perspective..

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 6:02 pm

Another thing that annoys me (due to my NLD) is misspelled thread titles.

(hint, hint) :wink:

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 9:18 pm

I have a problem with people avatars, even cartoons which don't represent the people... but I don't let it irritate me too much since I can't do anything about it.

I also like cool TV avatars... and patterns.

So...

Every single avatar of mine is from Doctor Who.
Every one is a "modified" image (so it gives me a chance to be creative while still fitting a fixed criteria pattern).
Finally, I'm in every single one of my avatar pictures... sometimes obviously, sometimes less than obvious.

I guess everyone else can do what they like but I tend to treat people like their avatar subconsciously.

eg: If your avatar is a squishy yellow duck, I'll be gentle. If it's a demonic looking thing, I'll tend to be a bit defensive. If the avatar is a scientist chappie, I'll often find that my answers are more respectful or more scientific.... weird huh.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2009, 10:00 pm

This is just a more anime style drawing of a character from a game I love from my childhood

mra1200
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2009, 10:02 pm

CaroleTucson wrote:
I've noticed the same thing, and it disorients me too. But then I tell myself ... well, I guess it shouldn't matter ... just read the post and don't be concerned with the picture.

Heck, I dunno.

And by the way, if you're wondering ... my avatar is me :)

wow, you look GREAT for your age!! !

I decided that now that I'm coming to terms that the likelihood is quite high of me having this, that it was time to show my face and not be ashamed of it.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:07 am

Erm...with that face, you got nothing to be ashamed of, son.

*lusts*

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 1:11 am

gbollard wrote:
eg: If your avatar is a squishy yellow duck, I'll be gentle. If it's a demonic looking thing, I'll tend to be a bit defensive. If the avatar is a scientist chappie, I'll often find that my answers are more respectful or more scientific.... weird huh.

That's what happens to me!

BTW, what does my avatar inspire in you, bollard?

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 3:28 am

My avatar (and those of many people from what I've read) does represent me. Also, like CockneyRebel, I do not follow gender stereotypes and feel more male than female. My actual body and name actually misrepresent me.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 4:16 am

My avator is currently the provincial flag of Alberta hanging on my bedroom wall. 8)

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

AuntyCC
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2009, 5:35 am

gbollard, your Dr Who avatar is the one that alerted me to them not all being the poster. Dr Who is one of the few TV programmes I ever see.

Greentea I corrected the spelling.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2009, 6:52 am

Thanks, Aunty. I swear, it's not pedantry but it really hurts my eyes. Weird thing.