Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

asperges
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2009, 2:48 am

Does anyone on here play an organized sport on a team? What are some of the social challenges that you faced? Have you overcome them? How? What social challenges still exist and what are you doing to work on it?

Mizurax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2009, 10:50 am

I play on my school soccer team and the only thing that kept me from making varsity in my freshman year was...the social problems I had, and that their were only 4 other freshman that year...but this year will be better because I work well with the grade below me.

asperges
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2009, 11:06 am

Thanks, but could you more specific? Can you describe those social problems? How did those problems that you mentioned get in the way? Did you feel like you weren't a part of the team? Why do you work better with the grade below you (other than you hang out with them more, bc if that is the answer, I will ask why again)?

asperges
Raven
Raven

11 Aug 2009, 5:05 pm

Hey guys I really need your help on this one. As many of you who have experience in this area, please reply

PikaYoshi
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2009, 6:47 pm

I've played softball for about five years now, and I'm going to try out for my school's team this year. The social challenges I have to face are helping and getting help from my coaches and teammates. I also never participated in cheering for my team.
A lot of communication is involved in sports. In softball we're supposed to call for the ball when it comes to us and we're supposed to yell where our teammate should be throwing the ball, but I never do.
I'm more socially accepted on my team when I do something good during a game.

Harsh_Truth
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2009, 11:22 am

The biggest challenge and most fun part is growing a thick skin, because there will surely be lots of jokes on everyone's expense and if you're acting like some whiny, easily offended girl you'll never fit into the team.

And I guess actually playing well and doing stuff with your team helps a lot

CaroleTucson
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 11:41 am

We had a company coed softball team for a few years. I really enjoyed it. It seems to foster an "us vs. them" mentality that makes the people on your own team more accepting of you.

This was a non-competitive league, and nobody really cared if you weren't a very good player. That makes a huge difference. Our team did get involved in a little brawl on the field one time, though. One of the men on the other team ran into one of our players, a very petite woman, way too hard. The men on our team took exception, and started a brouhaha.

I'm certainly not one to advocate fighting, but I have to say it made me feel good to know that our men would come to my defense if something like that happened to me. I would much prefer that it not happen at all, of course, but ...

I don't think I answered your question very well ... :(

SierraBell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2009, 5:48 pm

I was always so shy and awkward on sports teams. That's why I'm not playing in them right now, I just have no interest because I'm scared of what the coach would be like and how everyone would treat me. :pale: I have done some martial arts and the people are really nice there. :D It's not "sports", but it's a physical activity. :D

TheWeirdPig
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2009, 12:03 am

Sport have been great for me. They force you to communicate, to say each others' names, to say "Hey [teammate's name], I'm open, I want the ball, puck, etc." It forces you to "read" your opponent. I've been lucky. I've had coaches who have let me play despite not being the best athlete on the team. It was only though playing that I got to be a better athlete. But becoming a better athlete took a lot of dedication too.

Unfortunately, many coaches only give the opportunity to play only to the talented players. The talented players play, thus getting better. The less talented players never play and don't get much opportunity to improve.

Find a team or club that offers a B team or JV team for developing talent. Coaches are less concerned about winning on these B teams, and are more concerned about developing talent.

And by all means, the most important thing: HAVE FUN :hockey: